Theo Bair

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Sure I'm not saying he's a hard worker or has the best attitude. Im just saying he's playing out of position and everyone is likely saying hey your 6'4 just work and man handle everyone.. whats your problem?

I think he's being type cast and its detrimental to him. I've observed on here several times that he's clearly not a run thru a wall type of guy. All the more reason for him not to play forward. Playing forward is as much a mental thing as a physical thing. Look at Cavallini, he loves the combat and he kinda comes across as a jerk. Great, perfect for a CF. Bair is not that, no matter how badly people think he should be

Yes, I get your argument on him being a winger. But that position would still require him to track back. So if he's not working hard enough in practice, there's not a chance they're going to give him the opportunity in a game.

50 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, I get your argument on him being a winger. But that position would still require him to track back. So if he's not working hard enough in practice, there's not a chance they're going to give him the opportunity in a game.

And they've spent good money bringing in good wingers. 2 Colombians 

So I think loan him and hopefully wherever he goes he plays out wide. And yes I agree he needs to be more engaged 

If Theo Bair doesn't make it with the 'Caps, it'll be mostly on MDS for me. I watched him playing with the U23 development team, managed by Nick Dasovic, and he ran non-stop for 90 minutes. He was played as a CF, but not as your stereotypical lump with his back to goal, trading elbows with the CBs. He made decent runs into the channels and led the press very effectively. If Dasovic could get that out of him, why can't a supposedly better, more qualified manager in MDS? If you compare Bair's performances when he first broke into the team to now, it's quite clear that the longer he's under the management of MDS, the worse he's become as a player. Loan him out to somewhere that he can be played properly and bring him back after MDS inevitably gets sacked.

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I watched him playing with the U23 development team, managed by Nick Dasovic, and he ran non-stop for 90 minutes. 

That's not happening now.  

I wouldn't be surprised for it to be more of a personality clash between coach and players (because I would also put Cornelius in that boat).

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That's not happening now.  

I wouldn't be surprised for it to be more of a personality clash between coach and players (because I would also put Cornelius in that boat).

I'm not convinced that MDS has either the tactical nous or people management skills to ever be a good manager at anything higher than USL level. He'll probably get sacked by the 'Caps at some point this season, and I won't put it past him to then become a very successful manager in the CanPL in Ottawa or for a future Montreal club. However, I don't think he'll ever prove to be an MLS-level manager of any worth.

39 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I don’t think MDS has been particularly great but I’m not sure what people are seeing from Bair to suggest he’s being robbed of an opportunity. 

I didn’t think he was impressive with the U23 team and he really isn’t showing much in MLS either.

He looked like a really bright prospect 2 years ago when he made his first MLS appearances. Since then, MDS has sucked the life out of him as a player. His performances continue to decline under MDS' management. If Dasovic could make him look like a player, why can't a supposedly better manager like MDS get anything out of him?

• 2 months later...

Maybe I am undervaluing both of them at this stage in their career but i think CPL would be great for both of them.  Bair needs to play regularly and get his mojo and confidence back.  He probably has top tier talent compared to most in the CPL but this should give an opportunity to do that in an environment where he is likely guaranteed minutes which he needs.  Facchineri was there last year and got little playing time (didn’t look ready) but a year on, this perhaps could be the right level for him.

27 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Change of environment should be good for him.

Denmark seems to be the MLS loan Hotspot. Wouldn't mind seeing him toughened up somewhere like Scotland or joining Corbeanu and likely Jebbison in league one.

I think it will be a rent-to-own loan somewhere, not unlike Cornelius.  Maybe even Greece.

Honestly, Norway works pretty well. Season runs the same as MLS. And I remember Hurtado going over to Norway and thinking that he came back a changed player.  Not a better finisher, but with a changed attitude. That he realized how hard he had to work to actually achieve anything, that Europe is a grind even in lower leagues. I hope Bair learns the same lesson.

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Honestly, Norway works pretty well. Season runs the same as MLS. And I remember Hurtado going over to Norway and thinking that he came back a changed player.  Not a better finisher, but with a changed attitude. That he realized how hard he had to work to actually achieve anything, that Europe is a grind even in lower leagues. I hope Bair learns the same lesson.

All true, but Hurtado went to the top flight and Theo will be going to the 1.division

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Hopefully that indeed happens but he has been watching his competitors for minutes on the Caps collectively work their arses off on the field during training and in games, so he has had ample opportunity to match their graft and earn his place.  I still think that this is more of a rent-to-own where he impresses enough to get a transfer and the club can make some dough.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

That is Norway 2nd tier, so he should be able to make a mark. That said, they are currently leading their league half way through, so they are competitive. He'll have to produce. This is a loan that runs for another 17 matches, until November.

He was good two years ago, he just seems to have lost a bit of confidence, touch, and needs minutes. Hoping it works out for him.

• 2 weeks later...