CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Breaking news: the world doesn't send their best at the U-20 World Cup. Like please tell me where was Marcus Rashford in the 2017 U-20 World Cup where England won the whole thing? (Answer: at home or in vacation) The U-20 World Cup is more about the players who are not at that level yet.  Davies doesn't need this. I think for all the other players, it could help them, but it mainly depends on what are your plans with those players for the Gold Cup. 

What a load of crap! Check out some of the players who played in the U20 World Cup that Canada hosted in 2017 . Have a look at the Argentina, Uruguay and even the US team , yup these countries sure didn’t send any of their best players at that age group did they ?  Who the hell is Cavani, Suarez and who is that Arguero guy? There is a guy named Bradley and a guy named Altidore who were those guys on that US team , must all be some B or C players those countries sent to Canada for that U20 World Cup in 2007! 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I think you should do just a bit of  research before opening your mouth,  just a suggestion.

so since 2007 these are the players ( no goalies)  that I got find in about 15 mins that have played in the U20 world cups; 

Sergio Agüero 

Giacomo Bonaventura

César Azpilicueta Tanco

Lars Bender

Alexandre Lacazette

Philippe Coutinho

Mohamed Salah

Paul Pogba

Harry Kane

Gabriel Jesus

Jean-Kévin Augustin

André Silva

Bruma

Nicolás Castillo

Florian Thauvin

Nélson Oliveira

Oscar

Luis Muriel

Douglas Costa

Giovani dos Santos

Alexandre Pato

Jozy Altidore

Ángel Di María

Arturo Vidal

Juan Mata

Alexis Sánchez

Michael Bradley 

Maximiliano Moralez

Erwin Hoffer

Luis Suárez

Lewis Holtby

I’m just curious are these player at the level you were talking about ? Because I’m pretty sure Mohamed Salah won the Premier League Golden Boot last year, he is at the level ? Is he not a good player ??, Harry Kane, he’s like what  arguably England’s best player right now ?? And didn’t Pogba just play in the World Cup final and plays for one of biggest clubs in the world ?? 

I still don’t understand your statement about The U-20 World Cup is more about the players who are not at that level yet. 

How about you do a bit of research before opening your mouth and see why those players are different than ours?

Of all the players you listed only 8 had already made their senior debuts. Agüero, Coutinho, Pogba, Castillo, Sanchez, Bradley, Suarez, and Oscar. Of those 8 Oscar, Pogba, Sanchez and Castillo were there for the qualifying. Only Sanchez and Oscar has made their senior debut before their qualifying tournament. And neither of those players had a senior game at the same time as qualifying. 

Demoting players from the men’s team to the youth team doesn’t really happen anywhere else in the world. Saying Harry Kane played at the U 20 World Cup doesn’t mean that we should break up our team for the U20 qualifying. Would it be nice to qualify? Obviously. But it would also be nice to develop some team chemistry and cohesion.

A top U20 team would kick the shit out the  Caribbean  minnows Davies , David, Millar, Ballou and Busti have been playing against. So your  argument senior team versus U 20 team is BS because our senior team are playing low ranked minnows and top concacf teams DONT take their A squad to the Gold Cup, they add later with a few top players later,  which we can do the same later on. Also we already have senior players That are already established and can take care of business.  This whole notion of we need these young players to take care of his Caribbean minnows is joke !!! Yes our young player are really talented and exciting but come on guys !!! Get real here! Our young players will get a bigger and better test at the U20 World Cup and they will be playing together and be the main guys. 

I think some of you guys need to relax.

Yes a lot of top players make their name at the U-20 world cup.

I'm sure we could also compile an equally impressive list of players who never played in the U-20 world cup.

Let's actually qualify before we get into a hissy fit over whether or not Davies plays in it.

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I think you should do just a bit of  research before opening your mouth,  just a suggestion.

so since 2007 these are the players ( no goalies)  that I got find in about 15 mins that have played in the U20 world cups; 

Sergio Agüero 

Giacomo Bonaventura

César Azpilicueta Tanco

Lars Bender

Alexandre Lacazette

Philippe Coutinho

Mohamed Salah

Paul Pogba

Harry Kane

Gabriel Jesus

Jean-Kévin Augustin

André Silva

Bruma

Nicolás Castillo

Florian Thauvin

Nélson Oliveira

Oscar

Luis Muriel

Douglas Costa

Giovani dos Santos

Alexandre Pato

Jozy Altidore

Ángel Di María

Arturo Vidal

Juan Mata

Alexis Sánchez

Michael Bradley 

Maximiliano Moralez

Erwin Hoffer

Luis Suárez

Lewis Holtby

Freddy Adu

I’m just curious are these player at the level you were talking about ? Because I’m pretty sure Mohamed Salah won the Premier League Golden Boot last year, he is at the level ? Is he not a good player ??, Harry Kane, he’s like what  arguably England’s best player right now ?? And didn’t Pogba just play in the World Cup final and plays for one of biggest clubs in the world ?? 

I still don’t understand your statement about The U-20 World Cup is more about the players who are not at that level yet. 

Fixed your post.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Sergio Agüero 

Giacomo Bonaventura

César Azpilicueta Tanco

Lars Bender

Alexandre Lacazette

Philippe Coutinho

Mohamed Salah

Paul Pogba

Harry Kane

Gabriel Jesus

Jean-Kévin Augustin

André Silva

Bruma

Nicolás Castillo

Florian Thauvin

Nélson Oliveira

Oscar

Luis Muriel

Douglas Costa

Giovani dos Santos

Alexandre Pato

Jozy Altidore

Ángel Di María

Arturo Vidal

Juan Mata

Alexis Sánchez

Michael Bradley 

Maximiliano Moralez

Erwin Hoffer

Luis Suárez

Lewis Holtby

Freddy Adu

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Fixed your post.

That's not fair, he was 30 years old at the time. 

My only comment on the latest tangent is that some of the best footy countries may get away with leaving their star U20 players home.  We are not one of those countries.

Without our best players, our U20s may manage to qualify (or they may not), but they won't likely go deep in the tournament. 

With our best players, we are probably a lock to qualify, and have a decent shot of going balls deep.

Lets not pretend we have the luxury of leaving Canadian-Messi home and doing well.

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

My only comment on the latest tangent is that some of the best footy countries may get away with leaving their star U20 players home.  We are not one of those countries.

Without our best players, our U20s may manage to qualify (or they may not), but they won't likely go deep in the tournament. 

With our best players, we are probably a lock to qualify, and have a decent shot of going balls deep.

Lets not pretend we have the luxury of leaving Canadian-Messi home and doing well.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing. 

IF we qualify, I think we'll weigh up the pros and cons for Davies and others playing in the WC.

I can't remember what the specific fixture conflict was, something about Nations league?

Regardless, it will depend on the circumstances at the time, but I'll make a general comment and say that I expect our chemistry under Herdman to be much further along once the U20 wc kicks off, and perhaps it won't be as critical to have our top young players with the senior team at that time.

And it goes without saying that if we can go deep in the U20 wc, it would really help change the image of our program, which is what we all want.

Edited by Obinna

So if the 35-man list is the 20 in the main squad + the 5 extras we brought + 5 other names, then we would have: 

Davies, Tabla, Millar, David and.....? who is the 35th man?

I think the idea is that if we do well in our first few matches, if the #CanMNT pre-St Kitts camp is in Florida too, we can shift Davies, Tabla, Millar and David over to the U20s. 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

17 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So if the 35-man list is the 20 in the main squad + the 5 extras we brought + 5 other names, then we would have: 

I think the idea is that if we do well in our first few matches, if the #CanMNT pre-St Kits camp is Florida too, we can shift Davies, Tabla, Millar and David over to the U20s. 

Here is a guy who is thinking, they are probably on the roster (why wouldnt it be released the same time as the main squad) and its a keep your cards close to your vest kind of thing.  Just when Obinna had me convinced they should stay with the senior team.  

25 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think the idea is that if we do well in our first few matches, if the #CanMNT pre-St Kits camp is Florida too, we can shift Davies, Tabla, Millar and David over to the U20s. 

I’m hoping it’s LB Zorhan Bassong

Edited by SpecialK

I dont really understand why some have such a strong reaction against our Concacaf U20 squad... There are very important players for the future of our program on that squad and they also need to play at a high level internationally. This squad is a very competitive one, and should be able to hold it's own at the Concacaf U20.

Nothing is keeping us from having, say Davies and Ballou, at the U20 WC if we qualify. But personally i'd rather see them all play together against men and the best national teams of concacaf at the Gold Cup, which is a much better prep for our 2022 WC qualifying, imo. I dont think it would be realistic to have them both on the U20 WC squad (23 May - 15 June) AND the Gold Cup squad (15 June - 7 July).

Edited by Shakmur

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Here is a guy who is thinking, they are probably on the roster (why wouldnt it be released the same time as the main squad) and its a keep your cards close to your vest kind of thing.  Just when Obinna had me convinced they should stay with the senior team.  

I would be shocked if the managers of the other national teams don't have access to the 35 man rosters that other teams have submitted. I think they are likely only hiding their cards from us the fans, not from the competition.

I'll also be surprised (less than shocked though I guess) if Canada moves our senior U20's to the U20 team between our last group stage game (November 10th) and our first 2nd round game (November 13th) only to miss the Nations League game. What's the point of that? Only try for the last couple games in case we accidentally make it that far? If we were willing to miss them for the St. Kitts game, then why wouldn't they be in the group stage in the first place?

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Good point. I was thinking the same thing. 

IF we qualify, I think we'll weigh up the pros and cons for Davies and others playing in the WC.

I can't remember what the specific fixture conflict was, something about Nations league?

Regardless, it will depend on the circumstances at the time, but I'll make a general comment and say that I expect our chemistry under Herdman to be much further along once the U20 wc kicks off, and perhaps it won't be as critical to have our top young players with the senior team at that time.

And it goes without saying that if we can go deep in the U20 wc, it would really help change the image of our program, which is what we all want.

Edited by 1996