CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

Disappointed with this roster. We left soooo many good U20 players off it, like Davies, Millar, David, Tabla, etc.

Hell, Panama U20 is probably better competition than the piece of shit minnows the senior team has been playing in the nations league.

Plus the U20 World Cup is no joke. It could have been a huge experience for guys like Davies, Millar, David, Tabla, etc, who will form the backbone of the 2022 and 2026 senior teams.

Obviously we can still qualify and I really hope we do, but sending our B team to the qualifiers? --->  "Bah!"

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Disappointed with this roster. We left soooo many good U20 players off it, like Davies, Millar, David, Tabla, etc.

Hell, Panama U20 is probably better competition than the piece of shit minnows the senior team has been playing in the nations league.

Plus the U20 World Cup is no joke. It could have been a huge experience for guys like Davies, Millar, David, Tabla, etc, who will form the backbone of the 2022 and 2026 senior teams.

Obviously we can still qualify and I really hope we do, but sending our B team to the qualifiers? --->  "Bah!"

Yeah, and so will the Americans. Hell, even Panama may not bring all of their top players. Just relax my friend, we'll be okay.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, and so will the Americans. Hell, even Panama may not bring all of their top players. Just relax my friend, we'll be okay.

Is this a prediction that we will make it to the U20 World Cup?

I just looked at the format again to remind myself. We have to win our group ahead of Panama, and if we do that we have to not come in last in a 3 team group that presumably will be with Mexico and either El Salvador or Guatemala. So it will come down to whether we can not trip up against any minnows in the first group stage, a game against Panama, and El Salvador/Guatemala.

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is this a prediction that we will make it to the U20 World Cup?

I just looked at the format again to remind myself. We have to win our group ahead of Panama, and if we do that we have to not come in last in a 3 team group that presumably will be with Mexico and either El Salvador or Guatemala. So it will come down to whether we can not trip up against any minnows in the first group stage, a game against Panama, and El Salvador/Guatemala.

I'd be willing to bet we qualify, but I don't have extreme confidence or anything.

We have consistently failed to do so over multiple cycles now, but we usually fall at the final hurdle do we not? 

Therefore, I choose to believe that it's only a matter of time before we make good on our efforts to qualify.

I know some people would feel better had we called the best squad. I would too.

However, it's just a matter of priorities and while qualifying would be wonderful, I don't think it is so important that we disrupt the chemistry in the senior team.

I am sure the coaching staff feel the same way, based on the fact our "top" under 20 players were not called for the qualification.

At the end of the day, all of our players are in professional environments, and some are playing first team football. On paper, our squad looks to be as strong as the American team. They even called up four college players. How many did we call?

So I think all we need is to execute and maybe a little luck here and there.

Edited by Obinna

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not trying to be condecending, sorry if it came off like that,  But I'd like to think if Tabla or Millar is just going to ride the pine in the next game why not let him kick some ass and get us into the U-20 WC?  We are talking about skipping 1 camp and maybe 15 minutes at the end of the game for 2-4 games with the U-20's.  If we really want things to change we need to qualify for the youth tournies too and get the youngsters used to playing at the big stage when they are kids so they dont shit the bed later in WCQ.  

It's not even about the game, it is about the daily training sessions. This is where the real work gets done when it comes to integrating them in the team.

The game itself is the test to see how well they have done in training.

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is exactly where my head is at.  Especially for Tabla and Millar, I think the U20s would have been a great experience where they could play huge leadership roles.  That has to be a bigger developmental opportunity than a possible sub appearance against a Carribean country that we will likely not play again for a long long time.

Again...training.

Training with the senior team, right now (not necessarily in general), is much more valuable than learning to be a leader in an U20 qualifying tournament. There will be a place and time for them in the future to work on their leadership.

What they need is reps in training with the senior team. It's clear both of these players have the talent to push for starting positions, but what can (and will) be improved is an understanding of movements, etc.

Take Millar for instance:

I remember one play in our own third, in the first 15 minutes of last game, where he was out wide and played the ball inside to a centre midfielder who wasn't even looking at him, let alone expecting a pass. It didn't look like the wrong pass, but when your teammate is not expecting it and a turnover occurs, it's the wrong pass, if you know what I mean.

Now, I am not blaming Millar for that right now (although I was critical at the time), nor am I blaming the recepiant of the intended pass (I think Piette), but rather I want to say that such things are a product of unfamiliarity. That is why these players need reps together in training.

Tabla:

Aside from the great things I saw, there were moments where instead of pushing the game, he put on the breaks and slowed the tempo down, even though it looked like Davies and Osorio wanted to play quickly. 

Again, reps in training will get them on the same page, but you can't be in training AND be qualifying for the U-20's, can you?

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Take Millar for instance:

I remember one play in our own third, in the first 15 minutes of last game, where he was out wide and played the ball inside to a centre midfielder who wasn't even looking at him, let alone expecting a pass. It didn't look like the wrong pass, but when your teammate is not expecting it and a turnover occurs, it's the wrong pass, if you know what I mean.

I remember something similar, but it was Davies making a pass to Hutchinson and hitting Hutch's backside.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

We have consistently failed to do so over multiple cycles now, but we usually fall at the final hurdle do we not?

Not sure. Let me check.

2017 - lost first 2 games, knocked out in the group stage by finishing 3rd of 4 teams. Needed to finish 2nd to move on, then needed to finish 2nd of 3 team group to advance to World Cup.
2015 - won our first game, then lost 4 straight, knocked out in the group stage by finishing 5th out of 6. Needed at least 3rd to move on to playoff.
2013 - lost our first game to Cuba, ended up finishing 2nd in group of 3 behind Cuba, moved on to quarter finals. Needed a win in quarters against USA to advance to World Cup, but we lost. Cuba beat Costa Rica in their quarter finals to make it to the World Cup.
2011 - similar to 2013. Lost to Costa Rica in the group stage in our second game, finished 2nd in the group, lost quarter finals match with Mexico. Costa Rica made it to the final (where they lost to Mexico).
2009 - came 3rd in group of 4 (only ahead of... MEXICO?!?!) eliminated from group stage. Top 2 in both groups moved on to World Cup, so we were actually one place away. We lost our last group stage game to Costa Rica. Winning that would have qualified us.

So yeah, 2009, 2011, and 2013 you could say we lost it at the final hurdle (for 2011 and 2013 we made it harder on ourselves by losing an earlier, seemingly more winnable game).

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not sure. Let me check.

2017 - lost first 2 games, knocked out in the group stage by finishing 3rd of 4 teams. Needed to finish 2nd to move on, then needed to finish 2nd of 3 team group to advance to World Cup.
2015 - won our first game, then lost 4 straight, knocked out in the group stage by finishing 5th out of 6. Needed at least 3rd to move on to playoff.
2013 - lost our first game to Cuba, ended up finishing 2nd in group of 3 behind Cuba, moved on to quarter finals. Needed a win in quarters against USA to advance to World Cup, but we lost. Cuba beat Costa Rica in their quarter finals to make it to the World Cup.
2011 - similar to 2013. Lost to Costa Rica in the group stage in our second game, finished 2nd in the group, lost quarter finals match with Mexico. Costa Rica made it to the final (where they lost to Mexico).
2009 - came 3rd in group of 4 (only ahead of... MEXICO?!?!) eliminated from group stage. Top 2 in both groups moved on to World Cup, so we were actually one place away. We lost our last group stage game to Costa Rica. Winning that would have qualified us.

So yeah, 2009, 2011, and 2013 you could say we lost it at the final hurdle (for 2011 and 2013 we made it harder on ourselves by losing an earlier, seemingly more winnable game).

Thanks for having a look!

Hoping for the best this time around.

For everyone saying they are happy that the senior players didn't get called up. I am curious what their feelings are if we make the World Cup? The World Cup goes from May 23 to June 15. There will likely be Nations League game in and around that time. (The US has one June 18).

Not sure what the age date is. I believe Davies, David, and Busti would all be eligible, and I am not sure about Millar and Tabla.

Not trying to jinx it, just curious on people's thoughts. I thought they should be on this squad, so I definitely think they should be there if we are to face the world's best....and Tahiti.

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

For everyone saying they are happy that the senior players didn't get called up. I am curious what their feelings are if we make the World Cup? The World Cup goes from May 23 to June 15. There will likely be Nations League game in and around that time. (The US has one June 18).

Not sure what the age date is. I believe Davies, David, and Busti would all be eligible, and I am not sure about Millar and Tabla.

Not trying to jinx it, just curious on people's thoughts. I thought they should be on this squad, so I definitely think they should be there if we are to face the world's best....and Tahiti.

I think you’re meaning gold cup which starts on June 15. The actual Nation league isn’t until next September 

49 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think you’re meaning gold cup which starts on June 15. The actual Nation league isn’t until next September 

My bad. Thanks. In which case Gold Cup or u20 world Cup? Would be pretty tough doing both tournaments back to back.

Edited by Stryker911

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

The same players that are eligible for qualifying are also eligible for the World Cup.

I have a tougher time picking between the Gold Cup and the U20 World Cup than I do with the November situation. I would probably still pick U20s over Gold Cup if I had to though. People are probably considering this a corner turned, but this might be our golden generation. They will have another shot at the Gold Cup, but won’t have another shot at the World Cup, and would be their first shot at the world stage.

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

My bad. Thanks. In which case Gold Cup or u20 world Cup? Would be pretty tough doing both tournaments back to back.

I think gold cup would be prioritized because we’ll be able to test ourselves against concacaf best and we’ll see where we are in terms in quality. Canada probably  wouldn’t get that far through the u20 World Cup so it might be ok to play our best u-20’s in the tournament 

17 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I think gold cup would be prioritized because we’ll be able to test ourselves against concacaf best and we’ll see where we are in terms in quality. Canada probably  wouldn’t get that far through the u20 World Cup so it might be ok to play our best u-20’s in the tournament 

Concacaf best ??? The US and Mexico normally take their B teams and add later if  necessary. The U20 World Cup should be the  priority, our best U20 players vs the world’s best,  will be great experience for 2020  Olympics and 2022 , 2026 world cups. Also if our players are as good as we think they are. We should be going far in that tourney. It will be a great measuring stick

Even without Davies , Millar, Busti and Ballou our gold cup should be really strong. Also we might get  an additional dual. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Concacaf best ??? The US and Mexico normally take their B teams and add later if  necessary. The U20 World Cup should be the  priority, our best U20 players vs the world’s best,  will be great experience for 2020  Olympics and 2022 , 2026 world cups. Also if our players are as good as we think they are. We should be going far in that tourney. It will be a great measuring stick

Even without Davies , Millar, Busti and Ballou our gold cup should be really strong. Also we might get  an additional dual. 

Breaking news: the world doesn't send their best at the U-20 World Cup. Like please tell me where was Marcus Rashford in the 2017 U-20 World Cup where England won the whole thing? (Answer: at home or in vacation) The U-20 World Cup is more about the players who are not at that level yet.  Davies doesn't need this. I think for all the other players, it could help them, but it mainly depends on what are your plans with those players for the Gold Cup. 

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Breaking news: the world doesn't send their best at the U-20 World Cup. Like please tell me where was Marcus Rashford in the 2017 U-20 World Cup where England won the whole thing? (Answer: at home or in vacation) The U-20 World Cup is more about the players who are not at that level yet.  Davies doesn't need this. I think for all the other players, it could help them, but it mainly depends on what are your plans with those players for the Gold Cup. 

I think you should do just a bit of  research before opening your mouth,  just a suggestion.

so since 2007 these are the players ( no goalies)  that I got find in about 15 mins that have played in the U20 world cups; 

Sergio Agüero 

Giacomo Bonaventura

César Azpilicueta Tanco

Lars Bender

Alexandre Lacazette

Philippe Coutinho

Mohamed Salah

Paul Pogba

Harry Kane

Gabriel Jesus

Jean-Kévin Augustin

André Silva

Bruma

Nicolás Castillo

Florian Thauvin

Nélson Oliveira

Oscar

Luis Muriel

Douglas Costa

Giovani dos Santos

Alexandre Pato

Jozy Altidore

Ángel Di María

Arturo Vidal

Juan Mata

Alexis Sánchez

Michael Bradley 

Maximiliano Moralez

Erwin Hoffer

Luis Suárez

Lewis Holtby

I’m just curious are these player at the level you were talking about ? Because I’m pretty sure Mohamed Salah won the Premier League Golden Boot last year, he is at the level ? Is he not a good player ??, Harry Kane, he’s like what  arguably England’s best player right now ?? And didn’t Pogba just play in the World Cup final and plays for one of biggest clubs in the world ?? 

I still don’t understand your statement about The U-20 World Cup is more about the players who are not at that level yet. 

Edited by SpecialK