CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

4 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Alongside the 20-player squad, Olivieri has invited five training players to a pre-competition camp in Florida. The five players will train with Canada through 30 October before the team departs for Bradenton.

CANADA CAMP in FLORIDA
GK- Axel Desjardins | ITA / Spezia Calcio
FB- Justin Yarde | USA / SI Montverde Academy
M- Calin Calaidjoglu | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Mohamed Omar | CAN / Toronto FC II
W- Jacob Shaffelburg | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

Shaffelburg with TFC since when?? 

Underwhelming roster but not awful to be honest.. I think there are a lot of guys who looked to be on the level of guys like Millar and David in Toulon but just haven’t had their breakthrough. Hopefully this tournament is it.

12 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

In the press release, it mentioned players Olivieri invited, invitations are usually at teh coach's discretion, are they not?

Yes, I saw that. Just curious as to why they are referring to him as the "Program Director" if he is the head coach.

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Shaffelburg with TFC since when?? 

Underwhelming roster but not awful to be honest.. I think there are a lot of guys who looked to be on the level of guys like Millar and David in Toulon but just haven’t had their breakthrough. Hopefully this tournament is it.

He was with TFC academy a long time ago for a brief period.

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Curious that Benson Fazili is a regular in the Latvian first division and is released, yet players on youth teams aren’t.

Also, what is the reasoning for leaving Davies off?  We have plenty of leftbacks for the senior team.

I'm guessing Herdman wanted Tabla, Millar, David, Davies and Brault-Guillard for the St. Kitts game.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Alongside the 20-player squad, Olivieri has invited five training players to a pre-competition camp in Florida. The five players will train with Canada through 30 October before the team departs for Bradenton.

CANADA CAMP in FLORIDA
GK- Axel Desjardins | ITA / Spezia Calcio
FB- Justin Yarde | USA / SI Montverde Academy
M- Calin Calaidjoglu | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Mohamed Omar | CAN / Toronto FC II
W- Jacob Shaffelburg | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

Would these guys get this chance if Davies, Tabla and others were called, I wonder?

37 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can't say I am a fan of the direction this went.  If the players were consulted and expressed a preference to play with the senior side, then so be it.  But if that wasn't the case, I would have preferred to have at least some of those guys playing with the U20s.

Then again, what the hell do I know.

My feelings exactly, the what the hell do you know aside ?  

I'm surprised by the lack of the bigger names but it gives others a chance to step up which could be meaningful short and long term.  Hope there is enough quality there to qualify.  

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Curious that Benson Fazili is a regular in the Latvian first division and is released, yet players on youth teams aren’t.

Also, what is the reasoning for leaving Davies off?  We have plenty of leftbacks for the senior team.

Davies is currently the face of the senior team (he wasnt given the #12 out of coincidence)

Best starting XI?

Busti

Bayiha           Legault                  Dunne             Kinumbe

Fazili                Okello/Baldisimo

Verhoeven             Perruzza             Choinere

Reid

Not sure about up top, maybe take out Peruzza put Choinere in the middle and move Reid out wide with Bair up top? 

Disappointing.  If all of the gunners were called up for this I doubt Panama would trouble us considering a serious percentage of our players would be first men’s team quality.  Getting into the U 20 World Cup with the backbone of the team being their prime by 2026 would be the perfect experience and preparation for those players.  Those guys will still get to play in group A games when we get there, but if we don’t qualify for the u20 World Cup a huge opportunity is gone.  Let’s hope we dont shit the bed in our last 2 games and end up playing minnows for another couple  of years or this decision may really hurt our program.

23 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Best starting XI?

Busti

Bayiha           Legault                  Dunne             Kinumbe

Fazili                Okello/Baldisimo

Verhoeven             Perruzza             Choinere

Reid

Not sure about up top, maybe take out Peruzza put Choinere in the middle and move Reid out wide with Bair up top? 

Bair up top, Reid on the wing. 

I hate that so much talk is based on 2026 WC, yes we are hosting a few games but the reality and the goals are more near then distant. 

We'll have a few Gold Cups, Nations league, maybe another combined Copa America and most importantly qualifying for Qatar in 2022. 

The reality is that the senior team has to perform on the continental stage , and the rest will fall in place. Im of the a different belief that youth tournament results bare fruit to the senior game... Or else Nigeria would have made it to the quarter finals of a WC atleast once in recent additions. 

Youth tournaments are about creating international exposure for those who have none. Calling up our best talent to play defeats the purpose of this, and limits your ability to increase your depth pool. 

So these no-names have a chance to prove themselves just like the U17s did back in 2011.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro