CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

David is the only one in this list that it makes much sense that the club wouldn't want to release him. I'm not saying the others will get released, but it's at least feasible that Barcelona doesn't mind letting one of their B players some experience playing some crucial games. Liverpool might be OK with letting a youth player go for a while. Juventus might not mind letting their backup (or is he 3rd string?) youth goalkeeper get some playing time. Wasn't the Dominica game the first game time Busti has had this season?

Anyways, the clubs might hold back their players, but it's still my belief that the CSA should at least try to get them to the U20 tournament.

At the end of the day, I think most clubs would have to see the benefit of this.  These players would be getting tons of minutes in significant, competitive games.  That has to be  viewed as a positive when it comes to their development, and at the end of the day the clubs all have a strong interest in seeing these players maximize their potential.  For anyone currently only seeing time in a youth or B setup, it seems like it should be a no brainer.  And like you said, that does make the case of David a bit unique insofar as he has been seeing some first team minutes.

Ayo Akinola called to the US U20s.. they have called a squad that is pretty underwhelming so that may be bad news.

One guy from Belgium (2 first team appearances in 2 years and a year older than David - wasn’t dressed for Lokeren yesterday).  Akinola, even an unattached FC appearance (is that cultural appropriation?). 

I’m surprised they didn’t get Sarjeant or Weah.. both aren’t in their respective first teams at the moment.  Probably doesn’t bode well re Tabla, Millar. 

Busti is probably a lock.. Juve will want him to get games.  Davies is also likely a lock unless Herdman wants him.

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I can tell you that the csa has requested the release for the u20s...

No harm in asking, so this makes sense to me. I'm not too sure what the club's interests are i.e. whether they ask the player what he wants. If the player is at all in the first team plans then they won't release him, it's for 3 weeks (and tbh, a player in or near the first team won't want to go). But if the player is really not going to sniff the first team then perhaps they try to build goodwill with the player by releasing him.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

For anyone stressed out about us calling our best team, take a look at the US squad and I guarantee you'll feel much better.

I've stated that I don't think we should. 

I rather see the opportunities given to players who need exposure.  David, Davies, Millar etc... Leave them be to senior call ups. 

I think we'll be fine against Dominica, St Kitts, Guadeloupe and Monseratt. The challenge will be Panama. 

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

There's an info sheet on the Concacaf website. It says teams have to enter their lists 10 days before the first game. It didn't say release, but they have it so they should release it. 

My guess is we’ve given them our 35 man roster but are still negotiating who the 20 are. 

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

The list would have been submitted by now, just that CSA or CONCACAF haven't released it yet.

Yes and I’m wondering if that is because they’re working out who the 20 of the 35 are i.e. seeing if they can get a guy like Millar.  Can’t see why else it wouldn’t be released.

I’ve never seen less coverage for a team though honestly.  This roster is going to drop out of nowhere.. no one (aside from us) even knows it’s coming.  I remember the women’s u20 team having some commentary in the build up. 

Edited by Keegan

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yes and I’m wondering if that is because they’re working out who the 20 of the 35 are i.e. seeing if they can get a guy like Millar.  Can’t see why else it wouldn’t be released.

I’ve never seen less coverage for a team though honestly.  This roster is going to drop out of nowhere.. no one (aside from us) even knows it’s coming.  I remember the women’s u20 team having some commentary in the build up. 

If they start hyping it up a u20 women's player might get upset

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Official competition rules state that the final 20 player roster for the group stage has to be submitted 10 days before the first game. There are now 9 days left until our first match. Unless there has been a rule change or exemption for us, the roster has been submitted, it just hasn't been released publicly. 

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

CONCACAF would not make an exception, lists need to be in on time.

Look at the site, a couple of the squads at the top of the alphabet are posted but no one else. Puerto Rico and Honduras have released their squads publicly but don't show on the CONCACAF site.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/under-20s-men/teams

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

CONCACAF would not make an exception, lists need to be in on time.

Look at the site, a couple of the squads at the top of the alphabet are posted but no one else. Puerto Rico and Honduras have released their squads publicly but don't show on the CONCACAF site.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/under-20s-men/teams

You’re right, I just read the regulations.  Our 35 man squad was due weeks ago and this is the 20 man squad now.

1- GK- Alessandro Busti | ITA / Juventus FC U-23
2- FB- Émile Legault | Unattached
3- FB- Daniel Kinumbe | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
4- M / FB- Michael Baldisimo | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
5- CB- Julian Dunn | CAN / Toronto FC II
6- CM / CB- Yohan Le Bourhis | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
7- M- Clément Bayiha | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
8- M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC II
9- F- Theo Bair | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
10- M- Mathieu Choinière | CAN / Impact de Montréal
11- M- Noah Verhoeven | USA / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
12- CM / CB- Dante Campbell | CAN / Toronto FC II
13- FB- Terique Mohammed | CAN / Toronto FC II
14- CM- Benson Fazili | LTV / FK Metta
15- F- José Hernández | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
16- CB- Antonio Rocco Romeo | CAN / Toronto FC II
17- F- Adonijah Reid | USA / FC Dallas
18- GK- Thomas Hasal | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy
19- F- Jordan Perruzza | CAN / Toronto FC II
20- M- Steffen Yeates | USA / University of Connecticut

11 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Roster was announced.  Busti is in, but no Millar, Tabla, David or Brault-Guillard.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-announces-squad-for-the-concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship-p161897-preview-1

In the CSA release, they referred Olivieri as the Program Director. Is he the coach as well?

Edited by aloyol

Alongside the 20-player squad, Olivieri has invited five training players to a pre-competition camp in Florida. The five players will train with Canada through 30 October before the team departs for Bradenton.

CANADA CAMP in FLORIDA
GK- Axel Desjardins | ITA / Spezia Calcio
FB- Justin Yarde | USA / SI Montverde Academy
M- Calin Calaidjoglu | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Mohamed Omar | CAN / Toronto FC II
W- Jacob Shaffelburg | CAN / Toronto FC Academy