CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

Interesting that Perruzza is the only underage player on this roster. The last cycle there were five underage players and only two of them (Campbell and Hasal) are back for a second chance.

Very disappointing that Hundal has fallen off the depth chart. He did not look out of place two years ago.

Very disappointing not to see Davies, Tabla, Millar or David here.

The real question is: Can this team get the job done until the knockout stage? 

I really hope the CSA put them on the Provisional 35 man list so that they can be subbed in during international break (Nov 12-20)

I am confident we’ll destroy the minnows

The real test is VS Panama and later Guatemala/El Salvador in the Final 6 should we make it 

It could also be that clubs (Liverpool, Barcelona and Gent) did not want release them 3 weeks which is reasonable 

But Davies? The whitecaps are eliminated from the playoffs and play their last match on Oct 28!

379B98D8-AD2E-43FB-999D-308239B8F11C.jpeg

Edited by Thomas

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Very disappointing that Hundal has fallen off the depth chart. He did not look out of place two years ago.

On the one hand, I agree.  I'm a big Hundal fan so I was disappointed to not see him, but I think our depth at this age is pretty good.  We've seen that Bair is pretty solid and Reid has been mentioned on this board quite a bit and did alright for a 19 year old.  Not sure about Hernandez.  Don't know much about him.  We're also missing others like O'Vonte Mullings who is having a decent year with FGCU.

On the other hand it's nice to see that they brought in others.  For those that have been around here for awhile, we got used to seeing the same players pop up again and again without really understanding what they did to earn the invites.  Prime example of that would be Andrea Lombardo.  Good to see that they aren't afraid of shaking things up and bringing in new faces.

35 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Very disappointing not to see Davies, Tabla, Millar or David here.

The real question is: Can this team get the job done until the knockout stage? 

I really hope the CSA put them on the Provisional 35 man list so that they can be subbed in during international break (Nov 12-20)

I am confident we’ll destroy the minnows

The real test is VS Panama and later Guatemala/El Salvador in the Final 6 should we make it 

It could also be that clubs (Liverpool, Barcelona and Gent) did not want release them 3 weeks which is reasonable 

But Davies? The whitecaps are eliminated from the playoffs and play their last match on Oct 28!

379B98D8-AD2E-43FB-999D-308239B8F11C.jpeg

Bayern?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Bayern?

While they wouldn’t have contractual power to hold him back they could be in his ear.  Or, logically it’s the MNT and Herdman holding him back since why would Bayern care if he’s going to be playing internationall in November either way? 

16 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

MNT

16 minutes ago, Keegan said:

While they wouldn’t have contractual power to hold him back they could be in his ear.  Or, logically it’s the MNT and Herdman holding him back since why would Bayern care if he’s going to be playing internationall in November either way? 

Yeah it's probably more a case of pending MNT duty. I'd say your both right on that.

I do wonder though if Davies would immediately go to Bayern once his MLS season is over? I don't know why either party would want to wait, especially if there's no U20 for him. There'd be about 2 weeks until the international window opened back up. He could go there for a week or so, check out the digs, maybe get a session or two in, and fly back to NA. Or, he could sit in Vancouver and just hang out for 2 weeks.....

Edited by Obinna

You could be right but Germany also has a pretty sizeable break coming up so it would be odd for them to hold him back from competitive matches to essentially tour their facilities, which he’ll be doing over the next few months anyway. 

Perhaps relevant to this debate, Bayern u19s defender and American Richards (on loan from Dallas) also isn’t making the trip.  So maybe it is a scenario where Bayern doesn’t want young players playing minnow u20 teams halfway around the world. 

Edited by Keegan

14 minutes ago, Keegan said:

You could be right but Germany also has a pretty sizeable break coming up so it would be odd for them to hold him back from competitive matches to essentially tour their facilities, which he’ll be doing over the next few months anyway. 

Perhaps relevant to this debate, Bayern u19s defender and American Richards (on loan from Dallas) also isn’t making the trip.  So maybe it is a scenario where Bayern doesn’t want young players playing minnow u20 teams halfway around the world. 

Good point. Perhaps though it is the MNT who doesn't want him involved with the U-20s and Bayern could at the same time want him to come over if he isn't playing youth games and just hanging out in Vancouver. 

Imagine Davies picking up a knock with the U20s and being unavailable for the senior team. 

On Richards, that could be the case. Not up on Bayern to know if he's even playing for their 2nd team or not, to be honest.

I did see their CL highlights though, they really didn't look very good. Hard not to imagine Davies getting a chance immediately. He looks at minimum as good as Gnabry (not saying he is, just based on the highlights, Davies I think could have fashioned out chances against AEK Athens just as well as Gnabry).

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

On the one hand, I agree.  I'm a big Hundal fan so I was disappointed to not see him, but I think our depth at this age is pretty good.  We've seen that Bair is pretty solid and Reid has been mentioned on this board quite a bit and did alright for a 19 year old.  Not sure about Hernandez.  Don't know much about him.  We're also missing others like O'Vonte Mullings who is having a decent year with FGCU.

On the other hand it's nice to see that they brought in others.  For those that have been around here for awhile, we got used to seeing the same players pop up again and again without really understanding what they did to earn the invites.  Prime example of that would be Andrea Lombardo.  Good to see that they aren't afraid of shaking things up and bringing in new faces.

I always hope that the underage players from one cycle can step up and be the leaders in the next one, so it's a little disappointing that Hundal couldn't even make the team.

But as you state it's great to see the other players coming up. I'm looking forward to watching Reid. I've read comments about him on this board but aside from a few game highlights from the Fury I've never seen him play. I do recall reading an article on Hernandez a couple of years ago. It's good to see his name come up again.

26 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Only 3 based European players. Interesting.... we have so much talent over there and they never get picked. 

I honestly cant really think of anyone. How about some names?

I am pretty happy with the squad I am clearly in the minority with wanting Davies, Tabla, et al to be with the senior team. They are key players on the mens team so thereforethey should be with the senior team for every camp imo. 

As for strongest lineup. Something like this maybe?

60fc97cc78222e5e20e18425bb724a68.png

Edited by Fullback

6 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I am pretty happy with the squad I am clearly in the minority with wanting Davies, Tabla, et al to be with the senior team. They are key players on the mens team so thereforethey should be with the senior team for every camp imo. 

Woooah, pump the brakes!  Tabla is a "key" player to the senior team??  Ummm I saw him have a cup of coffee then a couple step overs and the game was over.  Lets not get too dramatic here, tabla or even Millar, isnt a "Key" player for the senior squad right now.  If we had it all on the line against Costa rica in WCQ tomorrow, they might not even see the pitch.  Cav, Larin, David, Hoillet, Oso, Piette, Arfield, Davies, Hutch are all ahead of tabla right now.  I know they are the future and need to be involved but getting us into the U-20 WC would be a nice start to their CDN legacy.  We are only talking about them missing 1 camp, getting 2-4 games with the U-20 would get them plenty of experience as well.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Woooah, pump the brakes!  Tabla is a "key" player to the senior team??  Ummm I saw him have a cup of coffee then a couple step overs and the game was over.  Lets not get too dramatic here, tabla or even Millar, isnt a "Key" player for the senior squad right now.  If we had it all on the line against Costa rica in WCQ tomorrow, they might not even see the pitch.  Cav, Larin, David, Hoillet, Oso, Piette, Arfield, Davies, Hutch are all ahead of tabla right now.  I know they are the future and need to be involved but getting us into the U-20 WC would be a nice start to their CDN legacy.  We are only talking about them missing 1 camp, getting 2-4 games with the U-20 would get them plenty of experience as well.  

Maybe key might not be the right word but there isnt a need to be condescending about it. He belongs in the 23 every time imo and while maybe not a starter could definitely see minutes coming off the bench in a big game. If that is the case then he should be training with the mens team. We complain about how we can never get the guys together for a camp and yet here we are with everybody wanting 5 or so guys to miss. These camps are an oppurtunity for our guys to gel and become a cohesive unit. If Herdman thinks they are mainstays in the mens team then they should be there in camp every time.

I'm not trying to be condecending, sorry if it came off like that,  But I'd like to think if Tabla or Millar is just going to ride the pine in the next game why not let him kick some ass and get us into the U-20 WC?  We are talking about skipping 1 camp and maybe 15 minutes at the end of the game for 2-4 games with the U-20's.  If we really want things to change we need to qualify for the youth tournies too and get the youngsters used to playing at the big stage when they are kids so they dont shit the bed later in WCQ.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not trying to be condecending, sorry if it came off like that,  But I'd like to think if Tabla or Millar is just going to ride the pine in the next game why not let him kick some ass and get us into the U-20 WC?  We are talking about skipping 1 camp and maybe 15 minutes at the end of the game for 2-4 games with the U-20's.  If we really want things to change we need to qualify for the youth tournies too and get the youngsters used to playing at the big stage when they are kids so they dont shit the bed later in WCQ.  

This is exactly where my head is at.  Especially for Tabla and Millar, I think the U20s would have been a great experience where they could play huge leadership roles.  That has to be a bigger developmental opportunity than a possible sub appearance against a Carribean country that we will likely not play again for a long long time.

As for the other two, I don't like it but I get it.  David is probably our legit third striker ATM, so I I estate.  But we do have other options there as well.  And Davies is def a full senior squad member and in the starting 11, so as much as I would love to see him tear it up at U20 I see why Herdman wants him.

But what could have been...

Oh well, I guess I gotta let it go.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

On another note, do we know if this will be streamed? If it is accessible, I will be watching this tourney more closely than any other youth tournament.

Yeah I think that it is being streamed on OZ like the women's championship and nations league.

https://www.concacafgo.com/cu20c

Edited by Jith12

3 hours ago, Fullback said:

CB - *Nikolas White

M- Ben Paton ( might be still hurt)

M- Jordan Aravjo ( might be still hurt)

M- Alessandro Hojaborpour

M- *Dominik Yankov ( Dominic Iankov)

M- Diego Reveco

LB- *Zohran Bassong

GK- *Yesli Rayane

W- Glenn Muenkat

* dual national

Edited by SpecialK