CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Do you wanna know what my honest guess is? The CSA know how good Busti and Hasal are and therefore called them up to the main squad. I don't think they know how good Desjardins is, so instead of burning a spot on a complete unknown they created this camp idea to test him (and the others) out.

Also remember that is can be difficult to call up European based players outside of FIFA windows.  It is a balancing act between clubs and the national team.  There has to be some compromise.

We should be hosting more youth U17/U20 camps and games, I know it will never happen but we should. It seems we don’t have clear idea who’s are the best Canadian players, at the youth side beside Davies, Ballou, Millar, Busti and David. With the small CPL stadiums, we should be able to sell a good amount of tickets for the games. Also host the games during FIFA windows, so we can call up the any player from any club. Question have we ever hosted a youth friendly game ? 

Edited by SpecialK

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

We should be hosting more youth U17/U20 camps and games, I know it will never happen but we should. It seems we don’t have clear idea who’s are the best Canadian players, at the youth side beside Davies, Ballou, Millar, Busti and David. With the small CPL stadiums, we should be able to sell a good amount of tickets for the games. Also host the games during FIFA windows, so we can call up the any player from any club. Question have we ever hosted a youth friendly game ? 

Answer: Yes.  We have.

Next question.

32 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

So before the U20 World Cup we hosted a youth friendly game ? Also that was 11 years ago Jesus 

TBH, I'm not too worried with the lack of youth friendlies played in Canada. 

A better question would be why we haven't hosted a U17M or U20M CONCACAF championship in 15 years (IIRC I think we hosted the U17 in 2003 and the U20's in 2001)?

Edited by aloyol

3 minutes ago, aloyol said:

A better question would be why we haven't hosted a U17M or U20M CONCACAF championship in 15 years (IIRC I think we hosted the U17 in 2003 and the U20's in 2001)?

I’m worried of the lack of youth friendly games period. Hosting them in Canada is a bonus but that’s not happening. We have the  stadiums , we have talented players and they are not playing. Fans want games. 

I made wiki pages for the guys who warrant them. Check them out and feel free to add anything I've missed. They're quite simple lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terique_Mohammed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benson_Fazili

In Benson's case I have no idea how his youth club timeline is. Seems like he joined Metta from X-Uvia in August 2017, but in April 2017 he was still listed as part of Ottawa Internationals.

6 hours ago, aloyol said:

I loved watching that team play in Victoria to qualify for the WYC.

2 hours ago, aloyol said:

Shaun Saiko scored for us. Adam Street was our keeper.

Here's RocketRobin match report:

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports08/08cana05.htm

Thanks. Misiewicz replaced Street in the second half I see, and he was the one caught out on the goal. 

Street and Misiewicz, two (of a long list of our young) keepers that shoulda, coulda, but didn't.

Between March 2016 and February 2017, the CSA held six separate U20-specific camps.  During those six camps, 48 players were evaluated.  40% of those players were based in Europe or South America.

2017 U20 Concacaf Qualifying Results: 1 win and 2 losses.

Conclusions:

1) Friendlies do not equal success.  Stop saying that that's all we need to do in order to qualify.

2) Evaluating a large player pool does not equal success.

3) Assertions that the CSA: does not play youth friendlies, discriminates against European players, does not know who the best Canadian players are ignores (incredibly recent) history.

When you look at the players that featured here at the U20 World Cup in 2007, there was just a ton of talent. Suarez, Cavani, Sanchez, Vidal, Mata, Pique, Chicharito, Vela, Coentrao, Patricio, David Luis, Marcelo, Pato, Willian, Sczesny, Di Maria, Aguero, Kagawa...

Maybe we should enlist the scouts from these countries (at that time) to help us ID kids now... 

Edited by hodgkiss

I don’t think scouts were needed.. That’s like us needing scouts to call up Tabla and Davies. 

Adam Street.. there’s a name that should make people second guess hyping up teenage keepers at big clubs. Stillo, Street, JLL, Misiewicz ... and Thomas is the only one who actually made it to the senior team (so far). 

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Adam Street.. there’s a name that should make people second guess hyping up teenage keepers at big clubs. Stillo, Street, JLL, Misiewicz ... and Thomas is the only one who actually made it to the senior team (so far). 

Gracey, Santiago...i think there was another kid in that age group too.

2 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

When you look at the players that featured here at the U20 World Cup in 2007, there was just a ton of talent. Suarez, Cavani, Sanchez, Vidal, Mata, Pique, Chicharito, Vela, Coentrao, Patricio, David Luis, Marcelo, Pato, Willian, Sczesny, Di Maria, Aguero, Kagawa...

Maybe we should enlist the scouts from these countries (at that time) to help us ID kids now... 

It's called a "Golden Era" . 

If you look at the squads from past installments (2007 and on) of the tournament... You'll notice that not a lot of players are playing for their national team.