CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

This has just been given an ovehaul by CONCACAF.

The Caribbean and Central American qualifying competitions have been removed. Thirty-four teams will take part, an increase from twelve in 2017.

Round 1 - First Round. Thirty four teams spread across six groups. The group winners advance.
Round 2 - Qualifying stage. Two groups of three.  The two group winners advance to the final and U20 World Cup. The second-place team also qualify for the U20 World Cup.
Round 3 - Final 

It's to take place in Florida.

https://concacaf-web-prod.corebine.com/en/article/concacaf-to-host-record-number-of-teams-in-november-for-its-redesigned-under-20-championship

Edited by Lou

It's been far too long since our U20s have qualified for a World Cup. I remember it used to be almost expected. In the 10 years from 1997-2007 Canada qualified for 5 of 6 U20 World Cups. In the 10 years from 2008 to 2018 we've qualified for ZERO. Isn't our development supposed to be getting better?...

Hopefully the CSA takes this tournament seriously and gets Canada back to regularly qualifying. The U20 World Cup is a fun tournament to follow, and always features a lot of future superstars.

Anyone have predictions for the squad? Here's mine.

Busti
Legault Dunn Harrison Kinumbe
Okello Choiniere Davies
Millar David Reid

Subs: Hasal, Campbell, Bayiha, Fazili, Ruby, Araujo, Paton, Hundal, Roberts

I think the rules call for a 20-man squad. Only area I'm not sure about is the Centrebacks. I remember Joel Harrison was highly rated but I think he was injured in his college season. Probably not gonna happen but Ballou Tabla and Dominic Iankov are still eligible.

Edited by thundercaps fan

21 hours ago, thundercaps fan said:

Anyone have predictions for the squad? Here's mine.

Busti
Legault Dunn Harrison Kinumbe
Okello Choiniere Davies
Millar David Reid

Subs: Hasal, Campbell, Bayiha, Fazili, Ruby, Araujo, Paton, Hundal, Roberts

I think the rules call for a 20-man squad. Only area I'm not sure about is the Centrebacks. I remember Joel Harrison was highly rated but I think he was injured in his college season. Probably not gonna happen but Ballou Tabla and Dominic Iankov are still eligible.

That's a very weak backline, but would be the best attacking team we've sent in a decade....even if Davies doesn't get released. With Liga MX in session and most of the great u20 Americans in/or about to be in Europe, we should really expect a strong showing. That roster is a few CBs away from being a legit contender to win the whole competition.

Also forgot Verhoeven.

Edited by harrycoyster

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

That's a very weak backline, but would be the best attacking team we've sent in a decade....even if Davies doesn't get released. With Liga MX in session and most of the great u20 Americans in/or about to be in Europe, we should really expect a strong showing. That roster is a few CBs away from being a legit contender to win the whole competition.

Also forgot Verhoeven.

Yeah we need some CBs to break out in the next couple of months in USL or something.

Good catch on Verhoeven, I originally thought he was a '98 born player. I'd have him instead of Roberts. Also maybe another CB should be picked instead of Jake Ruby, just don't know the options we have.

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I thought I heard the guy commentating  at the Toulon  tournament  saying  every player for Canada was eligible for the U 20 tournament  ?  Does anyone know the official year cut off ?

The upcoming U20 cycle is '99 and up, so only 12 of 20 are eligible. All members of the current Toulon team were eligible for the last U20 cycle, however.

Just now, Zem said:

The upcoming U20 cycle is '99 and up, so only 12 of 20 are eligible. All members of the current Toulon team were eligible for the last U20 cycle, however.

I thought  The last cycle was 97? Because I wondering if Cornelius  would be eligible because he doesn’t turn 21 till November 25 97 so  because that’s during the tournament he would be eligible correct ? 

12 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I thought  The last cycle was 97? Because I wondering if Cornelius  would be eligible because he doesn’t turn 21 till November 25 97 so  because that’s during the tournament he would be eligible correct ? 

2 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

He said everybody was eligible for the Olympic team.

The last U20 cycle was '97, it happens every two years. Eligibility is based purely on year of birth, so day and month of birth don't matter.

Sorry if you meant to say U23, because the current Olympic cycle is '97 and up. So yeah in that case the commentator wasn't wrong, likely the reason why the CSA wanted to enter this year's Toulon Tournament is because it's the same age group for Olympic qualifying next year.

What about Yohan LeBourhis from the Impact at CB?  He's a 2000.  Thought I read an article earlier this year about him and Kinumbe doing real well during pre-season training.  Any Impact fans care to comment?

On 6/11/2018 at 9:16 PM, Ivan said:

What about Yohan LeBourhis from the Impact at CB?  He's a 2000.  Thought I read an article earlier this year about him and Kinumbe doing real well during pre-season training.  Any Impact fans care to comment?

I live in Quebec City and I saw Le Bourhis play this past winter in a friendly between the Impact U19 team and the Laval Rouge et Or. Le Bourhis is physically imposing, good on the ball and quick. He was one of 2 players who I thought stood out the most for the Impact in that game. The other was Mathieu Choinière.

Edited by Grandbloke

44 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Davies needs not to be included in anyone's picks. He needs to be only in the CMNT playin LoN, ...he's clearly past U20.

See that’s ridiculous !  He should be there !  We have a really good U20  squad ,  we need to qualify for the U-20 World Cup. It’s going to open doors for Canadian players ! 

Qualifying for these tournaments is  really important for the program. We  have to get rid of that stigma that we can’t play against the best. 

Edited by SpecialK

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

I sort of doubt Millar will be there. I feel like he'll be getting first team minutes somewhere next season. Hopefully the Whitecaps miss the playoffs and Davies will be there. 

I think he will be,   He’ll be leader on  team. U20 World Cup will be a great experience for him. I’m sure Liverpool will see  The positives of him going to the U 20 World Cup.  

The whitecaps Are afraid of losing Davies to an European team so  they won’t let him go anywhere. Haha

Edited by SpecialK

On 6/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

It's been far too long since our U20s have qualified for a World Cup. I remember it used to be almost expected. In the 10 years from 1997-2007 Canada qualified for 5 of 6 U20 World Cups. In the 10 years from 2008 to 2018 we've qualified for ZERO. Isn't our development supposed to be getting better?...

Hopefully the CSA takes this tournament seriously and gets Canada back to regularly qualifying. The U20 World Cup is a fun tournament to follow, and always features a lot of future superstars.

Agree with your sentiment. As an active follower of football in Canada since the mid-60's, what I see is non-progression, even with great moments like U20 success in 1997-2007, Gold Cup 2000, general Woman's success and 1986 WC qualification . What is amazing is that the first two occured during the total administrative chaos of Kevan Pipe's reign. I have always put our success and failuire vis a vis concacaf and other competition down to our relative postion of our competitor nations. Not to take anything away from our 1986 WC qualifying (and their great defence especially), but we were able to qualify for 1986 because the latin countries in concacaf were in such chaos. The problem is that we have more or less fossilized since our greatest WC match success (the October 13, 1968 thrashing of the US, which was immediately followed by the inevitable downward spiral due to CSA arrogance). The CSA has seldom taken things seriously, and refuses to take good advice. Our development on the ground is not getting worse, it gets better in spurts, only to be eaten by administrative incompetence. At the same time, our competitors like Panama improve with less resources because they still are hungry enough to organize better than us.

It is interesting to see parallels with Argentina, strangely enough. Even though they have a huge pool of great players, they waste them because of AFA administrative arrogance here. Their successes in 1978 and 1986 were not just down to the greatness of indivdual players, but because they were in lucky relative positions of strength against their competitors (and a little bit of corruption and cheating) even given their administrative chaos. In the 1990's through today, the Argentine national teams have actually been better in terms of player skill, but their competition has been better organized. After 10 years of frustration, Messi said enough in 2016 during his mini-resignation, due to total frustration with AFA maladministration with the simplest to the mosre complex things, only to be dragged back, perhaps against his better judgement. The AFA has still not learned, and their biggest enemy in the coming WC is themselves, not the competition who they should roll over if they were properly organized. Because of the arrogance and incompetence of the Argentines, who  see themselves as superior to their latin-american brothers in every way, they fail to do more with less like Uruguay, Peru, Colombia and Panama appear to be doing.

Image result for we have met the enemy and it is us

Edited by beachesl

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I think he will be,   He’ll be leader on  team. U20 World Cup will be a great experience for him. I’m sure Liverpool will see  The positives of him going to the U 20 World Cup.  

The whitecaps Are afraid of losing Davies to an European team so  they won’t let him go anywhere. Haha

We thought the same thing about Dylan Carreiro when he was at Dundee, supposed to be our Captain and lead us to the Wolrd Cup but they didn't release him. If Millar is still at Liverpool u23s he will be with us, if he's on loan at Rangers or another team it becomes a little more grey. 

The 'caps can't deny Davies if they're not in the playoffs. That would create a massive rift between them and their most important and most valuable player they've ever had. They know he's going to Europe and they know he's going to make them a lot of money as long as he doesn't do what Camilo/Larin did (and good on them for doing so). 

12 hours ago, SpecialK said:

See that’s ridiculous !  He should be there !  We have a really good U20  squad ,  we need to qualify for the U-20 World Cup. It’s going to open doors for Canadian players ! 

Qualifying for these tournaments is  really important for the program. We  have to get rid of that stigma that we can’t play against the best. 

While I understand and agree with your sentiment. I'm going based on the reality of both the senior squad and youth squad. 

Considering the fact we will have LoN qualifying at potentially the same time this tournament is going on....I rather have Davies with the senior team, rather than the U20, because he is clearly showing that he can contribute at the men's level.

Personally I weight the LoN more important than U20 qualifications.