CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

9 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Don't know when the team will be released, but I think we can guess a long way. From the MNT:

1. Busti, 18 Juve U23

2. Fonzie Davies, 17 Whitecaps FC (unless he's injured)

3. Liam Millar, 19 Liverpool U23

4. Ballou Tabla, 19 Barcelona B

5. Jonathan David, 18 AA Gent

Then from TFC2 :

Julian Dunn, 18  (probably injured)

6. Antonio Romero, 18 

7. Olakunle Dada-Luke, 18

8. Luca Petrasso, 18

9. Dante Campbell, 19

10 Terique Mohammed, 18

11. Noble Okello, 18

12. Jordan Faria, 18

13 Shaan Hundall, 19

14. Malik Hamilton, 19

15. Jordan Perruzza, 17

Guys please do some research, get your heads out of TFC 2 and whitecaps  academy . We have so many good young talented players in other teams and in Europe. 

Edited by SpecialK

I wasn't finished with the list but surely they'll be looking at Pro-experience. 

The big advantage TFC has is that USL team. The only other eligible players with USL experience would be: 

16. Noah Verhoeven, 19 Fresno FC

17. Daniel Kinumbe, 19 Ottawa Fury FC

18 Clement Bayiha, 19 Ottawa Fury FC

19. Adonijah Reid, 19 Ottwa Fury FC

20. Michael Baldisimo, 18, Whitecaps FC

'Caps also have 16 year old Simon Colyn, I put him down as a maybe. 

And there's of course a player with (some) MLS-experience, I'm positive he'll be included:

21. Mathieu Choiniere, 19 Montreal Impact

I'm not looking inside the academies, of course there will be selections based on raw talent, but I think it will mostly be experience. 

Edited by shamrock

Then the foreign based prospects. Maybe you can help me with that. 

22. Emile Legault, 18 Auxerre  comes to mind, as does

23. Benson Fazili, 18 FS Metta (although his team will play a play-off in November to avoid relegation, might not want to let him go). 

Other options that are born on or after 1 Januar 1999?

Of course we're already over the number of players. But then I suggest cutting the players with the least experience. For instance: Dada-Luke (5 apps),  Malyk Hamilton (only 2), Kinumbe (2), Bayiha (2).

Then we still need a goalkeeper but I can't tell if they go for an Academy prospect (Thomas Hasal) or a player abroad (Desjardins) or even Catalano (TFC2) who's played USL but hasn't impressed me at all. 

And I haven't mentioned Zoran Bassong 'cause he's played for Belgium and has too many other options (hope he'll play for Canada of course). 

Edited by shamrock

So, here's my comprehensive list:

1. Busti, 18 Juve U23

2. Hasal / Desjardins

3. Fonzie Davies, 17 Whitecaps FC (unless he's injured)

4. Liam Millar, 19 Liverpool U23

5. Ballou Tabla, 19 Barcelona B

6. Jonathan David, 18 AA Gent

7. Antonio Romero, 18 

8. Luca Petrasso, 18

9. Dante Campbell, 19

10 Terique Mohammed, 18

11. Noble Okello, 18

12. Jordan Faria, 18

13. Shaan Hundall, 19

14. Mathieu Choiniere, 19 Montreal Impact

15. Jordan Perruzza, 17

16. Noah Verhoeven, 19 Fresno FC

17. Adonijah Reid, 19 Ottwa Fury FC

18. Michael Baldisimo, 18, Whitecaps FC

19. Emile Legault, 18 Auxerre

20. Benson Fazili, 18 FS Metta

Edited by shamrock

GK
Axel Desjardins - Spezia Calcio
Thomas Hasal -   Vancouver whitecaps academy 
Gianluca Catalno - TFC 2
*Yesli Rayane - without club - was with Vibonese 

LB
*Zohran Bassong - LOSC Lille B

CB
Jake Ruby -  Vancouver whitecaps academy 
Joel Harrison -  Vancouver whitecaps academy 
*Nikolas White - 1.FC Nurberg U19 
Yoha Le Bourhis - Montreal Impact  Academy 

M
Ben Paton - Blackburn U23
*Cameron Palmer- Rangers U-20
Jordan Araujo - Brighton & hove Albion U18 ( might be still hurt)
Alessandro Hojaborpour - Lokomotiv Plovdiv U19
*Dominik Yankov ( Dominic Iankov) - Ludogorets 
Diego Reveco - As Sora Calcio ( I thought he went to Spain ) ?

Winger 

Glenn Muenkat - 1. FC Kaiserslautern 11

strikers 

Theo Blair -   Vancouver whitecaps academy 

players with a * is a dual national

Edited by SpecialK

It looks like we are set in goal, at fullback and on the wings and in attack (knock on wood). 

I can name about a dozen attackers but no central mids or central defenders aside from TFC II guys.

A huge opportunity for some guys, who we may not be familiar with, to step up and play alongside players who are on the senior national team.  Impress here and you may not be far off a call.

Mathieu Choiniere I’ve heard good things about and he has a few MLS appearances.. is he a central mid?

Edited by Keegan

The provisional 35 player list is due 30 days before the first game (on November 2nd). The final 20 player list is due 10 days before the first game so that would be Tuesday October 23 IIC. Don't expect a list to come out any sooner as the CFA is likely to keep it's options open in case of injuries and whatnot. 

Edited by shamrock

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

The provisional 35 player list is due 30 days before the first game (on November 2nd). The final 20 player list is due 10 days before the first game so that would be Tuesday November 23 IIC. Don't expect a list to come out any sooner as the CFA is likely to keep it's options open in case of injuries and whatnot. 

I think you meant Oct. 23rd? That would be in 5 days...

One guy who I think could compete for a CB spot on the team is Brendan Skinner who is currently playing at Western Michigan and starting every game for them. He played with TSS Rovers this past summer. He has been involved in U-18 camps in the past with quite a few of the guys who will make the final team.

The options seem real slim. Does anyone know of anybody else? Obviously Dunn and Romeo. The Le Bourhis guy?

On another note is Calaidjoglu from the Impact Academy good enough to make the team? Seems like an interesting prospect for us.

2 hours ago, Toje said:

Some clubs have already been notified about potential call ups.  

I don't think we are going to see Euro U20 star power at the U20 and NL.

Herdman will opt to build chemistry for the senior team and not trade that for U20 if a choice is to be made.

This would be my 20 man roster:

Goalkeepers (2)

Alessandro Busti

Thomas Hasal 

Defenders (7)

Emile Legault

Zorhan Bassong

Michael Baldisimo

Daniel Kinumbe

Julian Dunn

Clement Bayiha

TBD

Midfielders (7)

TBD

Matthew Roberts

Noble Okello

Noah Verhoeven 

Mathieu Choiniere

Ballou Tabla 

Alphonso Davies 

Forwards (4)

Jonathan David

Liam Millar

Jordan Perruzza 

Adoneijh Reid

We need to qualify for the U20 World Cup! Strongest possible squad to give us the best chance 

For Me it would be: 

GK:

-Busti 

-Hasal

DEF

-Nikolas white

-Julian Dunn-Johnson

- Joel Harrison

- Zorhan Bassong

-Daniel Kinumbe

-Emile Legault

-Clement Bahiya

Mid

- Noble Okello 

- Benson Fazili 

-Mathieu Choiniere 

-Jordan Araujo

-Simon Colyn

Wing/Forward:

-Liam Millar

- Alphonso Davies

- Jonathan David 

- Adonijah Reid 

-Ballou

-Noah Verhoven 

4 hours ago, Fullback said:

One guy who I think could compete for a CB spot on the team is Brendan Skinner who is currently playing at Western Michigan and starting every game for them. He played with TSS Rovers this past summer. He has been involved in U-18 camps in the past with quite a few of the guys who will make the final team.

The options seem real slim. Does anyone know of anybody else? Obviously Dunn and Romeo. The Le Bourhis guy?

On another note is Calaidjoglu from the Impact Academy good enough to make the team? Seems like an interesting prospect for us.

This is where Nick Soolsma plays, for anyone looking for a blast from the past. :)

Another fun fact, apparently he won the scoring title (9) for the Challenge Trophy this year, as his team went on to lift the title, making him the only player in history to have won the Professional National Championship (TFC) and the Amateur National Championship. TSS Rovers, from what I can tell, play in the PDL (now USL League two), but they also have a team in the VMSL which is comprised of more or less the same players. It was that team who won the BC Cup and qualified for the Challenge Cup.

Unsure if this Skinner guy played with the VMSL team, but if so that would make for an interesting storyline (Challenge Cup winner makes Canada U-20 squad for qualifiers).

Edited by Obinna

I think Julian Dunn is injured, he hasn't played in months.

Still really short on CB's. Quite a mystery to me as there's lot's of physical athletes out there. They all go for pointy ball or what?

Btw I didn't put up a wish list, but they are options that are surely on the larger list. 

I know people have debated bringing the young guys from the senior side into the U20s, with one argument being that it is better to focus on senior side at the moment, but I don't really see it as an either/or.  Yes, Nations League qualifying is a huge priority, and we absolutely want to do what it takes to make League A - but in the longer term what benefits the U20s will absolutely benefit the senior squad.

During the 2022 WC, the guys on our U20 squad will actually be 22 and 23 years old.  It is likely that some of those not yet making the CMNT squad will step up and play a more senior role in that timeframe.  And by 2026, this cohort will be the core of our senior national team.  The significance of that can't be understated.  Recognizing that some low profile guys may step up, and a couple of dual nationals may be recruited, the reality is that the bulk of our U20 cohort will be the ones representing us  in 2026.  Building chemistry among these guys, and getting them as much big game experience as possible - at all levels - has to be a big priority for the CSA.

I am not saying we should sacrifice the present for the future at the senior level, but the health of our present U20's is a crucial part of our success for the next 2 cycles - and especially for the "big show" in 2026.