Jonathan David

Vince193

West Ham just booted Sebastian Haller back to Europe, leaving them with an oft injured Antonio as a lone striker. They should be in for a loan. Moyes likes to play crosses through his wingers and full backs, but I think they would do well to grab David and keep things on the ground slightly more. Moyes would also get David back to full fitness in a hurry - most all of West Ham's 11 have great engines these days. Antonio and David running at defenses would be lovely.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If the people that paid 35 million for him want him to score goals, they might want to set up their team to get him the ball in goal scoring positions.

I also expect that the people who make those types of multi million Euro decisions are knowledgeable about round pegs and square holes.  Those sorts of things, you know?

I have a very hard time believing the Lille David has been brought into is the Lille he was promised.  Something else that was supposed to happen has gone sideways.  Or at least I guess thats the case.   Some unfinished business.  That would be 2020 for you.  

For those that aren’t watching.....

Lille aren’t creating a lot and it’s fairly even so far.

A word on the tactics: it seems that Weah is instructed to stay wide and Dialo (the right back) is staying at home. On the left it is per usual and as I described earlier, with the left back high and wide and the left winger (Bamba) coming inside to find collect the ball between the lines. 

This says two things to me: 

1) Gatier can be a little flexible, but still has not made a big departure from the overall plan, which is to...

2) Get his creators (bamba and ikone) on the ball. Ikone despite playing up front is taking up positions all over the left side of the field that David would not be, and I can only imagine it is by design as he took these sort of positions up at Gent.

ps: I forgot one more thing, with Gaitier seemingly viewing the hog brothers as his creators and neglecting to see that in David, I can’t help but be critical of him as a manager.

Edited by Obinna

Well, Nimes pretty cautious and a bit lost during their occasional journeys into the attacking third.  Lille not exactly pressing matters either but probably don't feel like they need to either.  They'll get their chances if they put in the effort.

Think Bamba was trying to find Weah with that blocked pass that fell for Yilmaz.  

Looks like it's going to be a predictable result but Nimes might get lucky.  It's 1-nil and they can feel a little aggrieved.  One shot play away from an equilizer.

42 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I am rooting for David.  Lille is a mess.

I get that, but I guess there are different schools of thought on rooting for Lille.  

Personally, I am hoping their style of play slowly gets better, David settles in and becomes a success in Ligue 1, and all is well without major overhaul.   For that reason I am rooting for them.  In this scenario, the higher they are in the table and the deeper they go in Europa, the better for all involved.   

The alternative is that their style of play flatlines where it is, and as a result of being fairly one-dimensional they get knocked out of Europa and fall out of a European spot in Ligue 1.  For this scenario to be in any way positive for David they would either have to move him to another club (whether sold or loaned) or completely restructure their personnel and/or playing style.  I think he would more likely be kept around but increasingly relegated to a sub role off the bench. But the bottom line for me is that any faltering by Lille would likely see his role reduced as pressure would mount to get results and they would ride Yilmaz and Yazici who have proven they can score pretty consistently.   

I know there are lots of other possibilities and permutations but barring major upheaval I think David is tied to Lille for a while.   I see his success tied fairly closely to theirs.  And despite all the moaning we do about their style (and I agree with the critiques) they are objectively still doing quite well.  Thus, while I am not a fan of their current playing style, I am still pulling for them because I think that is what is best for David.  I am still very much hoping he can settle in and show France just what we all know he is capable of.