Jonathan David

Vince193

"We made two mistakes and now we're going home with no points like idiots" - hilarious post game translated quote from a Reims player interviewed after the game (right after David was interviewed).

Not sure about the "idiots" part, but what he said was true. All 3 goals in this game came from errors, although the keeper spill on David's goal was the least egregious of the three. Glad for David though because he could have had a hattrick of assists in this game while his teammates rarely return the favour. How unsurprising then that he should score without being set up by his teammates for the goal.

7 minutes ago, gator said:

I was going to post how frustrating it is to watch this team, of course I am looking at it from a JD perspective, he makes good runs and is in space often but team mates don't seem to recognize that, I still feel that way but the goal makes it less frustrating!

It’s crazy the entire attack except Yilmaz and David play as if they are at combine trying to impress scouts to get their next move. I would have to think with a different/more strict manager, they could be even better than what they are. I say all of that and they are challenging for the title.

I was only half watching the game because I had to clean the basement but it seemed like every time I watched for a few minutes he was making a good run or in a dangerous position.  

The fact that he took Yazici off and left David on is a good indicator that Galtier recognizes the contribution he was making.   The goal was a great way to reward the manager’s faith in him and hopefully help David get more time   

It was also encouraging to see the level of celebration from a bunch of the other guys.  Bamba and Ikone were the first to race over and congratulate him.  Weah also seemed to really be happy for him and wanted to communicate it.  I guess some of that could be show or maybe I am overthinking it but it really seemed like they were genuinely wanting him to feel the appreciation.  And for a guy who has been struggling in some aspects since the transfer that seems important.  

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was only half watching the game because I had to clean the basement but it seemed like every time I watched for a few minutes he was making a good run or in a dangerous position.  

The fact that he took Yazici off and left David on is a good indicator that Galtier recognizes the contribution he was making.   The goal was a great way to reward the manager’s faith in him and hopefully help David get more time   

It was also encouraging to see the level of celebration from a bunch of the other guys.  Bamba and Ikone were the first to race over and congratulate him.  Weah also seemed to really be happy for him and wanted to communicate it.  I guess some of that could be show or maybe I am overthinking it but it really seemed like they were genuinely wanting him to feel the appreciation.  And for a guy who has been struggling in some aspects since the transfer that seems important.  

Ikone wasn’t on the field at that time, and I didn’t see him racing off the bench on to the pitch. You might have been mistaking him for Weah

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ikone wasn’t on the field at that time, and I didn’t see him racing off the bench on to the pitch. You might have been mistaking him for Weah

Bamba was hugging him from behind. David and Weah were locked in some prayer trance forehead to forehead on their knees for about 15 seconds with Weah doing all the talking. Was weird/cool to see. 

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ah, like I said - distracted with other tasks.  Must have confused him with someone else.   Listening in Turkish or something on some weird stream so don’t get to follow personnel as closely.  

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Great finish by David, so glad he played 90.  

Frustrating part was..... They showed David's heat map at one point in the 2nd half and commentator said, "yes he's running all over the place but never at the right time, he's just making the wrong runs to the wrong places."  I was like WTF have you been watching??? 

Even on the winning goal his reflex was the charge the net as soon as Xeka hit it.  He's making all the right runs, Lille just plays backward.

Another translated comment was, "another great unselfish pass by Bamba to find David but it was intercepted".  Really? 

Hopefully that goal gets some respect.

Edited by costarg

56 minutes ago, costarg said:

Great finish by David, so glad he played 90.  

Frustrating part was..... They showed David's heat map at one point in the 2nd half and commentator said, "yes he's running all over the place but never at the right time, he's just making the wrong runs to the wrong places."  I was like WTF have you been watching??? 

Even on the willing goal his reflex was the charge the net as soon as Xeka hit it.  He's making all the right runs, Lille just plays backward.

Another translated comment was, "another great unselfish pass by Bamba to find David but it was intercepted".  Really? 

Hopefully that goal gets some respect.

It seems like he does have A LOT of liberty out there, played the width of the pitch endlessly today but I expect that is a part of the program.  Did a bit of possitional interchanging with his winger as they tend to hook in-field during possession.  Isn't that Bamba?  Where's David?  LOL.  Sorry, guilty as charged in making that mistake once or twice today.

Anyone who comments that David's movements are to the wrong place at the wrong time is the sort of someone who has trouble seeing two passes into the future, nevermind any play more complicated than "send it".  

There.  I said it. 

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Meh, unless Lille fundamentally changes the way they play, or acquires wingers with better vision, then I see David continue to "struggle". 

I agree, I have decided not to watch Lille unless the rival is major and the match promises. I enjoyed them vs. PSG, Milan, because they rose to the occasion, but against these lesser opponents the play is unpleasant, there's no gratification from the football. 

Didn't get much from Barça either this evening, mind you. 

Lyon lost to mid-table Metz which leaves Lille remarkably tied for first albeit they are second on goal difference (with PSG way ahead of them in that front). Considering they haven’t been playing that well and even their keeper has let in some howlers so far in 2021, it’s somewhat incredible that they are tied for first in points

Anyone ever catch any ligue 1 analysis of David and the way he plays?  I wonder if the pundits see it the way we do?   Would love to see some more David-only video to see his decisions etc. Surely the league does this from time to time to demonstrate the supposed strengths and weaknesses of Lille attack ?

As far as his teammates being happy for the goal and win while being selfish in the pitch, the two are certainly not mutually exclusive. But it was pleasant to see, forgetting covid for a moment

6 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Anyone ever catch any ligue 1 analysis of David and the way he plays?  I wonder if the pundits see it the way we do?   Would love to see some more David-only video to see his decisions etc. Surely the league does this from time to time to demonstrate the supposed strengths and weaknesses of Lille attack ?

As far as his teammates being happy for the goal and win while being selfish in the pitch, the two are certainly not mutually exclusive. But it was pleasant to see, forgetting covid for a moment

I've been meaning to look that up, just haven't had the time.  Two toddlers and all will do that....

I thought he played quite well, even beyond the goal. His pressing was smart as usual, but his combination play and control in tight areas was better than previous matches.

Lille remind me of Toronto FC at their worst. Slow, ponderous, basically waiting for teams to set up defensively and then having massive trouble breaking them down. In the second half they played quicker and more vertically and therefore much better.