Jonathan David

Vince193

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Unbelievable that this team is top of the table. David did well though and Weah was pretty much invisible.

Thinking Galtier has designs with Weah and David both in mind.  Maybe got a sniff of that today.

This team is still a long way from finding its form with a lot of season left in front of it.  As does PSG, thank Gawd.

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Unbelievable that this team is top of the table. David did well though and Weah was pretty much invisible.

I still think Lille needs David to score at least 10 league goals to have any chance at the title.

The standings are super tight and Lille have lots of ties. It wouldn't't take that many losses for them to start dropping in the standings.

19 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Tried to defend David on Reddit and got blasted by people. The general consensus by most watching him is that he's a shit finisher and it's his fault he's struggling to score.

That's depressing.

Oh well. There's nothing we can do about it. Just hope he continues to develop as a player and Lille keeps getting points. David just needs to keep going out there and working with whatever service or lack of service he gets. 

13 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

Oh well. There's nothing we can do about it. Just hope he continues to develop as a player and Lille keeps getting points. David just needs to keep going out there and working with whatever service or lack of service he gets. 

54 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He did have a tough volley that resulted in a tame shot. Their only one on target, I think.

Hopefully something breaks soon, guy has the skill you don’t teach that. It’s just his head

40 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Tried to defend David on Reddit and got blasted by people. The general consensus by most watching him is that he's a shit finisher and it's his fault he's struggling to score.

That's depressing.

I mean - if he was a different nationality (ie American) we’d be saying the exact same thing.

he hasn’t lived up to expectations - that’s the bottom line. And much of that has been self inflicted.

46 minutes ago, VinceA said:

That's depressing.

Lol if it’s the conversation I saw, then you didn’t really try to defend him, you attacked the rest of the team unprovoked. Most Lille fans I’ve found recognize that they are a better team with David on the pitch, and many thought Galtier got it wrong by keeping him on the bench. 
I completely agree that David has had next to no service this year. Many of his goals for Gent were first time finishes from balls coming in off the wing It doesn’t look like this team is going to offer that so he has to find another way to score. His finishing hasn’t been as consistent this season either 

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I mean - if he was a different nationality (ie American) we’d be saying the exact same thing.

he hasn’t lived up to expectations - that’s the bottom line. And much of that has been self inflicted.

Probably, but I'd also be saying all the same things I've been saying about Lillie's obvious shortcomings and telling him to cut his losses and get the Hell out of that deaf-end town because it's such a wrong fit for him.

However, because he's Canadian I'm encouraging him to keep his head up, work hard, and earn his place.  

How much longer I keep that up I have no idea.

41 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Probably, but I'd also be saying all the same things I've been saying about Lillie's obvious shortcomings and telling him to cut his losses and get the Hell out of that deaf-end town because it's such a wrong fit for him.

However, because he's Canadian I'm encouraging him to keep his head up, work hard, and earn his place.  

How much longer I keep that up I have no idea.

Haven't David and his agent done any homework before signing on the dotted line? It's not that difficult to find out what kind of style this team  plays after studying 10 game videos. 

Hmmm......A tragedy result of "money talks"?

8 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Haven't David and his agent done any homework before signing on the dotted line? It's not that difficult to find out what kind of style this team  plays after studying 10 game videos. 

Hmmm......A tragedy result of "money talks"?

Probably saw 4th in the table and didn't investigate anything else.

A thing I always found interesting is that Lille is about an hour drive from Gent.

But who knows how credible some of the other transfer rumors were.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Probably saw 4th in the table and didn't investigate anything else.

A thing I always found interesting is that Lille is about an hour drive from Gent.

But who knows how credible some of the other transfer rumors were.

Being able to swap from a top-four Belgian side to a top-four French side, with a significant pay rise, and not even having to move houses...who wouldn't look at that very seriously?

I have probably been more critical than others regarding David, but I thought he was very dangerous today. This is the type of match he is built for: against a team that will play high and wants to build from the back. David is best when he space to drive into from deep, that is no secret. But the other part of his game that is great is his pressing. He doesn't chase down defender after defender, but he is great at lulling you into thinking you have more time and a better angle than you actually do -- think the first goal vs Martinique. He stole the ball high up the pitch a couple times today that led to good chances.

Against top teams where Lille will cede possession, he must start imo.

24 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I have probably been more critical than others regarding David, but I thought he was very dangerous today. This is the type of match he is built for: against a team that will play high and wants to build from the back. David is best when he space to drive into from deep, that is no secret. But the other part of his game that is great is his pressing. He doesn't chase down defender after defender, but he is great at lulling you into thinking you have more time and a better angle than you actually do -- think the first goal vs Martinique. He stole the ball high up the pitch a couple times today that led to good chances.

He did that against Mexico too. He stripped Moreno and then fed Cavallini for the goal.

44 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Being able to swap from a top-four Belgian side to a top-four French side, with a significant pay rise, and not even having to move houses...who wouldn't look at that very seriously?

And we know absolutely nothing about the details.  Deals fall through all the time.  Players aren't brought in, others aren't moved out, regardless of the club's master plan.  

I'm sure David's agent, and David for that matter, did their due diligence.  Things may have not evolved as suggested, yet.  It's sort have been that type of year for everyone.  Footballers included.

36 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I honestly think he's the closest thing to a young Bobby Firmino playing in the Big 5 leagues today, albeit with less flair, but more pace. My dream is that Lille's financial trouble forces them to accept bids for JD sooner rather than later, and Liverpool come in for him. Klopp could turn the raw tools that he possesses into an absolute world beater.

14 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I honestly think he's the closest thing to a young Bobby Firmino playing in the Big 5 leagues today, albeit with less flair, but more pace. My dream is that Lille's financial trouble forces them to accept bids for JD sooner rather than later, and Liverpool come in for him. Klopp could turn the raw tools that he possesses into an absolute world beater.

I have actually been thinking about the Firmino comparison for David a lot recently. Like you said there are some differences (I would also say Firmino has a better first touch and ability to play in tight spaces) but I think the comparison makes sense.

13 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

This would be a crazy-positive outcome but I see no chance of it happening.  As much as we all root for David and really delve deep to find the reasons why the goals haven’t been coming, the reality is that he hasn’t been delivering and he hasn’t done his marketability any favours.  I just don’t see a top club coming in for him when by most metrics he really hasn’t performed well in France.