Jonathan David

Vince193

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's past 9 my time in Europe, but most of you guys are at work, isn't that right?

Been thinking a lot about the dynamics of Bull***** Jobs lately, where Graeber talks about how many of us really do have short working weeks, and fill the rest of the official work schedule with things like, well, this.

5 here in PEI.  Finished an hr ago.  

#Weekend

2 minutes ago, El Diego said:

If the defender didn't touch it the ball wouldn't have went in. No way it's David's goal. His role in the build up was more positive than his role in the goal itself.

You'd be surprised the kind of spin David can get on the ball off his kidneys.

After watching last night this level is a step down, I'm just commenting as I am not used to watching La Ligue.

I still think the system does not play to Jonathan David's strengths. I have watched every Lille match this season, at least in part. The way they play never changes. Galtier seems to be a very rigid coach. His job is to get results first and get the most from David second. Right now he's only accomplishing the former, but the results are what matter the most. 

1 minute ago, sebdeserio said:

Had a decent shot that got blocked but had a chance to breakout which he would've dribbled and gained 30+ yards last year and instead he couldn't avoid an easily avoidable slide tackle. He looks sluggish and almost uninterested.

That tackle stood out to me too.  I don’t know if the defenders are a quantum step up from Belgium or if it is David, but something is def going on.  I am still certain he will solve it and come good - I just hope that happens before the coach loses patience.   

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

That tackle stood out to me too.  I don’t know if the defenders are a quantum step up from Belgium or if it is David, but something is def going on.  I am still certain he will solve it and come good - I just hope that happens before the coach loses patience.   

The level of play is higher AND David is being asked to play in a new way. The result is a lack of production. David was so good at Gent because he had the freedom to go and find pockets up-and-down, left-and-right. He would drop very deep and pick up the ball. He would come out wide and attack from the flank. He would at times lead the line. He was all over the place and it suited him because of his soccer IQ.

Lille is the total opposite. All the movements are premeditated. There was one play where he found himself out wide and stayed there because he was open and his teammate with the ball was only a few meters away. Maybe I am just seeing things, but it seemed like he looked up, saw David, looked for another option, then eventually gave it to David. If his body language could speak it would say something like: "Teammate open, wait no it's a striker they aren't suppose to be out there, I should look for another teammate, crap no other option, okay play to the open striker even though it is weird he is out there"

Well, they are undefeated and right now top of the table, so it's a little difficult to be too critical of the coach's tactics. And they are doing that without their top striker officially having scored a goal yet, though I do wonder if they still might correct the own-goal as it's tough to prove that his touch wouldn't have caused the ball to go in given the angle where it was from. There's not enough there to prove that the "shot" was wide, especially given how fast the defender's touch is.

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Well, they are undefeated and right now top of the table, so it's a little difficult to be too critical of the coach's tactics. And they are doing that without their top striker officially having scored a goal yet, though I do wonder if they still might correct the own-goal as it's tough to prove that his touch wouldn't have caused the ball to go in given the angle where it was from. There's not enough there to prove that the "shot" was wide, especially given how fast the defender's touch is.

Yes I agree and while we are growing impatient, their coach and fans have little reason to panic. Everything is all good for them. At least David is not getting chances and wasting them, he is just simply not getting chances (or finding them, depending on your prerogative). He is not hurting the team and the club is in a good spot with (hopefully) good things to come from their new forward soon.

I wonder if they'll tweak things a little bit and encourage David to drop a little deeper to get on the ball. A few times he was able to get between the lines and feed Yilmaz. That is what he is good at. I have no expectation he'll be given the freedom to drift left and right in this system.

Edited by Obinna

If I were the sporting director of a lower level team of La Liga and could only look for reinforcements from Lille, I'd consider that left back, Bradaric, who is just 20 and is going to rise high IMO, Renato Sanches, and, yes, Yilmaz. Because he's feisty, has experience, adds character, is a bit of a professional sheete disturber. 

Okay, beyond that provocation, I think it is clear this team is tight and coordinated at the back, keeper and all four backs. It's built that way, a team that dominates, but can only win with an OG and a penalty.

Then moving forwards it is still a bunch of pieces looking for some sort of click, a lot of uncoordination all over the place. They miss dumb passes (often the wrong player tries to be playmake), someone runs a diagonal one way and the opening pass goes the other. They really don't have effective wing play. It is still a project. If you think they are leaders, and that they even lost points stupidly vs. OM, that is pretty good. And then they'll likely sign some more support.

I'm not worried about David, they invested a lot in him and know it'll come. But I don't think it is fair to be dissing the other players. Was it Ikone who came on for him? After that Nantes pushes, and they countered well with him, it was the sort of open play that would have favoured David, maybe next time.

7 hours ago, lenny said:

Glad there's something positive coming out of David's slow start at Lille, but the less talented Brooklyn born player might need a loan if he's going to get regular playing time.

Just remind them, he was a critical part of picking up the ball, and building up the play that led to the game winning goal. 

French footy fans are knowledgeable, they know this and why he got a solid applause when subbed. 

Edited by apbsmith

I think we are just not used to see David playing in this type of system. He will adjust, he will succeed. His fitness does not seem as high as last year, but it will come. 

Agree with Unnamed Trialist,  extremely tight and well organized at the back. When they figure out and start clicking on the offensive end, Lille will be a very very good team ( they are already good, but you know what I mean). 

At some point he's going to need to adapt.  The best players do and every team he's going to play for is going to be different.

Alphonso Davies was an attacker until he joined Bayern Munich.  In less than 2 years he's won almost every trophy possible in that span and become the worlds 2nd highest market value for defense.

This is no longer the Belgian league but I'm sure he will come around soon.