Metro Vancouver CPL Club

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I do not at all think they are trying to attract the market north of the river. I think they are going to focus on the Langley/Surrey area, and I would not count on a shuttle running from the skytrain to the LEC.

I'm counting on nothing, but just looking at it from a broad list of potential positives. You're probably right about not drawing from the north side.  Wherever they end up, I want long term success for them and the league.

• 3 weeks later...

Did he even really answer the question? I assume "ownership transition" referred to new owners coming in rather than how Dean Shillington & co will handle having two clubs under one ownership group. Think the mechanics of that are obvious and didn't really need to be explained. Guess the take away from that answer though is that nothing is imminent on new ownership happening.

Beyond that I think CanPL takes itself a little too seriously where its influence on the CMNT is concerned and what he really should have been talking up rather than the future World Cups narrative is how confident he is that they can attract strong independent ownership for the Victoria market who will be able to keep the team competitive in a soon to be fully expanded stadium.

The loving two children equally analogy doesn't really work when everybody knows which market was their first choice and which will be the one to ultimately be retained. 

He tried to answer the real question, not the technical question some seem to need. He responded to the point of the query, not its fine points. It is not Perry Mason guys, you have no obligation to answer yes or no in court, and much less in a pub.

He communicated: don't worry that PFC will suffer or be squeezed or pushed to the back of the pack because I, Rob Friend, am investing in and working on a team for the Lower Mainland.

And then he emphasized the rivalry angle, which is right, as long as there is not any hint whatsoever of collusion, game fixing or illicit agreements  regarding investment, players, and so on, that could end up affecting results. A Van Isle-Lower Mainland rivalry not only is very entertaining, and something we've never really had in pro sport, but also benefits both clubs in terms of drawing fans, rival fans, shorter travel costs and so on. You can literally play at 5 or even 6 pm some Saturday, and be back across the chuck to sleep in your own bed.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The loving two children equally analogy doesn't really work when everybody knows which market was their first choice and which will be the one to ultimately be retained. 

Mmmm, you don't happen to have children do you?

If mom says, first pregnancy, that you are hoping for a girl first and it's a boy....then 4 years later your son gets a little sister, you are not going to...

Why am I even trying to explain this? Please tell us again how it works when inevitably, and in your impeccable logic, you will always love one child more than another.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Wouldn't be too concerned. It's still being actively talked about publicly by Rob Friend in the youtube clip ted posted above. Compare and contrast with the Windsor scenario. Suspect they are waiting for a timing they think will have maximum impact in media terms.

Vancouver being announced as back in the running for 2026 would probably fit on that. Suspect this sort of angle is how they hope to obtain a permanent stadium:

https://www.cp24.com/news/it-will-put-toronto-on-the-map-tory-defends-nearly-300m-cost-of-hosting-world-cup-games-in-2026-1.5850577

...Some of the bigger line items include $63.7 million in capital work to prepare BMO Field to host games and $41.2 million to build training facilities for visiting teams...

In a Toronto context, Greenpark Homes being a lot more visible with York United again may be related to that sort of angle happening at Woodbine.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Big mistake if they try and drop a team into the Langley Events Centre complex. We know that suburban, edge of city stadiums don't work, why would they do this? This location is in-betweensville, there is nothing of interest immediately around it. Transit is poor. I'm from the Fraser Valley originally, I guarantee this team will not draw if they put it here.

Edited by Cicero

Just now, Cicero said:

Big mistake if they try and drop a team into the Langley Sports Centre. We know that suburban, edge of city stadiums don't work, why would they do this? This location is in-betweensville, there is nothing of interest immediately around it. Transit is poor. I'm from the Fraser Valley originally, I guarantee this team will not draw if they put it here.

My guess is they aren't paying for it

I think its a great location. The reason they're there is the exact same reason Pacific is in Langdale. These urban city governments are impossible to deal with. I think there will be a more family vibe but I also think it will be a younger crowd. The Whitecaps crowd has turned from young to a bunch of old people pretending to be young. I think there is a real opportunity to bring in a 17-25 year old crowd that I think the Whitecaps haven't really grabbed for various reasons. One is the majority of them are out in the Valley

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think its a great location. The reason they're there is the exact same reason Pacific is in Langdale. These urban city governments are impossible to deal with. I think there will be a more family vibe but I also think it will be a younger crowd. The Whitecaps crowd has turned from young to a bunch of old people pretending to be young. I think there is a real opportunity to bring in a 17-25 year old crowd that I think the Whitecaps haven't really grabbed for various reasons. One is the majority of them are out in the Valley

This is the same thinking that went in to building in the suburbs for MLS, and resulted in their lowest attended clubs. So I guess it depends on what you think a successful attendance is.

59 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Big mistake if they try and drop a team into the Langley Events Centre complex. We know that suburban, edge of city stadiums don't work, why would they do this? ....

Probably because the league still seems to have a very ambitious business model that requires 6000+ seats to have a hope of working long term and that plus the need for unmarked turf or natural grass severely limits their options on stadia. Agree the location is less than stellar but at least they are distant enough from the Whitecaps that there may be a bit of a market available to them that the Whitecaps are not catering to.