CPL TV Contract

21 minutes ago, ted said:

No we are not. 

$150M is the fee they are paying the league to gain the rights. A fee is very different from money spent on infrastructure. 

no you likely are. media deals of this nature often will include providing funding for projects as part of the lump sum. unless you were straight up 'we are getting cash 100%' and all media have published inaccurate reports the likelihood of it being straight up cash is unlikely.

the production costs alone (as you've cited for cpl) would run over $50m for 10 years (they're closer to $60m)

Edited by matty

9 minutes ago, matty said:

no you likely are. media deals of this nature often will include providing funding for projects as part of the lump sum. unless you were straight up 'we are getting cash 100%' and all media have published inaccurate reports the likelihood of it being straight up cash is unlikely

Is that based on talking to somebody who has inside knowledge or are you just speculating?

Because what "media deals of this nature" often do has exactly nothing to do with what this specific deal actually is.

Unless you have some inside knowledge I really don't know what basis you have for disputing information provided by someone who does.

5 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Is that based on talking to somebody who has inside knowledge or are you just speculating?

Because what "media deals of this nature" often do has exactly nothing to do with what this specific deal actually is.

Unless you have some inside knowledge I really don't know what basis you have for disputing information provided by someone who does.

i've worked similar projects in the past, the value of a deal will often include non-cash elements. i cannot speak to costs but i do know several things the cpl have quietly been working on for the last 2-3 years with regards to media and i know that his (and pb's) comments about production and the $200m total cited by places like the national post do not mesh with the league getting $150m cash over a decade.

14 hours ago, sting said:

So I don't have the time to read 56 pages of replies, with about a month away from the first game, do we know yet what channels we can watch the games on?

No, but there has been speculation that it could be TSN. 

4 minutes ago, LatinInuk said:

Will there be any way to watch these games then? Facebook live? Youtube?

I'm not going to be in Canada until June, so I'd like to find a way if possible to see the early matches.

There will be a way to watch the games. We know nothing about it beyond that. 

The closest thing we have to any confirmation or news at this point is that MediaPro has mentioned a "streaming service". If this is region locked, we don't know. If this is a new service, we don't know. If its existing, like DAZN, we don't know. If it will be exclusively streaming or if streaming will supplement TV, we don't know. 

We're all frustrated by the lack of info about this so close to kickoff.

Just pointing out that the speculation is far from limited to TSN.  There has been endless speculation caused by the lack of information. 

Getting frustrating.  A few weeks from kick off and we can't yet buy single tickets to scheduled games and have no idea how we will be able to watch games (aside from in person).   

I can't tell if they are using the term "channel" in a general business sense or in a much more specific "tv channel" sense. Like a 24/7 online stream with content.

I get the sense that they are going to try to go direct to consumers in Canada through some app/website. And will sub-license internationally.

1 hour ago, matty said:

wow that's some fuckery. wonder if cpl was working on their own "channel" and then media pro showed up, took over and canned everything

We can't forget that CPL has no "expertise" in that field which explains in part the scope of this media deal. Luckily, that gives the league 10 years to acquire some / all the expertise needed to get a different deal in 2029.

22 minutes ago, Ansem said:

We can't forget that CPL has no "expertise" in that field which explains in part the scope of this media deal. Luckily, that gives the league 10 years to acquire some / all the expertise needed to get a different deal in 2029.

They have Mark Silver. I don't think they have the resources MediaPro have on this but they do have people who know how to work such projects. I suspect he has a staff

Edited by matty

For a service that is CPL-only what should the price be? DAZN, beIN, TSN, Sportsnet are all about $20/mth...but you are getting a lot more than just CPL with those.

To me anything more than $7.99/mth would be really pushing it.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It did call into question why CSB would have bought Stadium Digital:

https://canpl.ca/article/csb-acquires-stadium-digital

Huh?!?!  They don't do broadcasts. 

According to the article you quoted, "Stadium Digital specializes in the creation and management of content and technology to deliver products in the areas of sponsorship, fan engagement, ticketing and e-commerce."

They are the ones doing the Centre Circle App aren't they?

...which could have been the ideal platform for a paid subscription channel and might still be.

The Stadium Digital team will now deliver all fan-facing digital technology and content for the Canadian Premier League including all league, club, mobile and venue platforms. The group will also be responsible for delivering CSB’s distribution strategy of live content.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

23 minutes ago, ted said:

Huh?!?!  They don't do broadcasts. 

According to the article you quoted, "Stadium Digital specializes in the creation and management of content and technology to deliver products in the areas of sponsorship, fan engagement, ticketing and e-commerce."

They are the ones doing the Centre Circle App aren't they?

content is the key word here cause it very well could have included broadcasts and video (likely doesn't but could cause everything is dumb now). digital terminology is weird. think how videos, shows, films on youtube or netflix are labeled as content over anything else

Edited by matty

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...which could have been the ideal platform for a paid subscription channel and might still be.

The Stadium Digital team will now deliver all fan-facing digital technology and content for the Canadian Premier League including all league, club, mobile and venue platforms. The group will also be responsible for delivering CSB’s distribution strategy of live content.

I don't follow your logic.

According to you they should have stayed in-house with a company they bought that has ZERO experience in broadcasting?

You think they should have passed up $150M+ dollars from an experienced producer of broadcasts?!?

They bought Stadium Digital to do what Stadium Digital does best. 

2 minutes ago, ted said:

I don't follow your logic.

According to you they should have stayed in-house with a company they bought that has ZERO experience in broadcasting?

You think they should have passed up $150M+ dollars from an experienced producer of broadcasts?!?

They bought Stadium Digital to do what Stadium Digital does best. 

i'm sure they'd have hired experienced staff but yea this is not something that should have stayed in house if they were producing their own stuff in someone was game to invest $200m~ bucks.

all that said would not be shocked if they were at one point looking to build their own platform as mark silver specializes in digital sports platforms

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, ted said:

... According to you they should have stayed in-house with a company they bought that has ZERO experience in broadcasting? ...

At no point did I suggest that and I have no idea how you inferred that from what I wrote. It remains to be seen what the $200 million "investment" by Mediapro that has been mentioned actually involves in practice.