CPL TV Contract

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

For a service that is CPL-only what should the price be? DAZN, beIN, TSN, Sportsnet are all about $20/mth...but you are getting a lot more than just CPL with those.

To me anything more than $7.99/mth would be really pushing it.

DAZN in Spain is right now at 4.99 €, similar to what you suggest. It basically, as we stand, has launched almost only with MotoGP, which is big enough in Spain given who is on the bikes, Márquez and all. But motorcycle racing is not even exclusively on DAZN, you can get it on regular channels (not sure if that will change, but yesterday the Argentina races were on regular channels). Next year they will have Euroleague basketball and EPL, if you buy in now you keep your rate for next season.

I think DAZN would have to find an angle like that in Canada, a CPL deal, then something else those fans might appreciate, whatever they can bid on and find interest for.

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

DAZN in Spain is right now at 4.99 €, similar to what you suggest. It basically, as we stand, has launched almost only with MotoGP, which is big enough in Spain given who is on the bikes, Márquez and all. But motorcycle racing is not even exclusively on DAZN, you can get it on regular channels (not sure if that will change, but yesterday the Argentina races were on regular channels). Next year they will have Euroleague basketball and EPL, if you buy in now you keep your rate for next season.

I think DAZN would have to find an angle like that in Canada, a CPL deal, then something else those fans might appreciate, whatever they can bid on and find interest for.

You mean mediaPro? DAZN already has the rights to a bunch of stuff in Canada...

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

At no point did I suggest that and I have no idea how you inferred that from what I wrote. It remains to be seen what the $200 million "investment" by Mediapro that has been mentioned actually involves in practice.

OK, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant when you wrote, "which could have been the ideal platform for a paid subscription channel and might still be."

I thought, "might still be" suggested they would be the broadcaster but I see now how they could be separate.

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So what might be a typical pack including all of CPL?

if dazn it includes nfl, epl, la liga, ligue 1, champions' league, pac 12, some mlb and mls, atp and wta tennis, rugby, darts, motoracing, boxing, bellator mma, cricket

nfl gives them the most traffic it seems, boxing is a massive dud, tennis had a big week a week ago

Edited by matty

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So what might be a typical pack including all of CPL?

There's only one "pack" for DAZN. You either get everything or nothing, like Netflix or Prime.

As of right now, DAZN has Champions League, Europa League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, J1 and J2, AFC Champions League, Copa Libertadores, English League Cup, some EFL Championship and other random soccer.

Non soccer includes NFL, FIBA, Bellator, lots of rugby, assorted boxing, some NCAA stuff, WTA, some ATP, etc. 

12 hours ago, matty said:

York 9 are advertising on TLN. The plot thickens. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN

...or they have figured out that there are a lot of Italians in Woodbridge. Looks like something local in terms of the ad, so not sure that points to anything in terms of a league wide deal.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...or they have figured out that there are a lot of Italians in Woodbridge. Looks like something local in terms of the ad, so not sure that points to anything in terms of a league wide deal.

It likely is but TLN isn't a local channel. IIRC it's in more homes in Canada than SportsNet

Also while we're sorta on topic http://mediaincanada.com/2018/08/14/tln-makes-its-biggest-investment-ever-in-serie-a-deal/

Edited by matty

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not sure it's going to be as cheap as people seem to think.  MediaPro has to recoup whatever they're investing.  I'm not sure they're doing that on $7.99 a month from a limited base.

It wouldn't recoup it alone but I'm not sure how you could honestly charge much more than that for a service just to watch CPL...especially given it's only about 3 games a week...

I suspect mediaPRO will probably make more on selling international rights than they will direct to consumers in Canada anyway.

3 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It wouldn't recoup it alone but I'm not sure how you could honestly charge much more than that for a service just to watch CPL...especially given it's only about 3 games a week...

I suspect mediaPRO will probably make more on selling international rights than they will direct to consumers in Canada anyway.

They also obtained the rights to L1O (mens & womens), CanMNT and CanWNT...

Alright, that's not much more, but it can get them more than just 3 matches a week if they use those rights (and take steps to improve recording/broadcasting of L1O matches). That said, $7.99 seems a fairly reasonable amount for such limited content. They'll likely charge more (if they go this route), but I'm not sure the value would be there for any additional cost.

5 hours ago, matty said:

It likely is but TLN isn't a local channel. IIRC it's in more homes in Canada than SportsNet

It used to be ... it was part of even the most basic cable package.

But lately I've noticed a couple of months ago that my very basic digitial cable package (which has TSN1 and Sportsnet Ontario, but not much else) no longer has TLN. Which is a shame, as they had started carrying beautifully restored to HD M*A*S*H in the late evening after the kids went to bed! They did a great pan-and-scan job to make them widescreen - normally I shudder at such things, but it looked very good!

29 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Not directly related but DAZN's value as a service continues to go up:

Curious how much coverage (if any) the traditional broadcasters will have.  Will they subcontract some limited content from DAZN or will it be like the Champs League where cable broadcasting simply stops.

i get why this sort of switch is happening - I just wish soccer wasn't on the bleeding edge of the trend in North America (and I know other sports have gone before, but they have retained a pretty substantial presence on TV).  

Subcontracting some content to TSN and SN would add some revenue in the short term, but I suspect DAZN's bigger long term gain would be to get more subscribers through a "subscribe or do without" sort of ultimatum.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Curious how much coverage (if any) the traditional broadcasters will have.  Will they subcontract some limited content from DAZN or will it be like the Champs League where cable broadcasting simply stops.

i get why this sort of switch is happening - I just wish soccer wasn't on the bleeding edge of the trend in North America (and I know other sports have gone before, but they have retained a pretty substantial presence on TV).  

Subcontracting some content to TSN and SN would add some revenue in the short term, but I suspect DAZN's bigger long term gain would be to get more subscribers through a "subscribe or do without" sort of ultimatum.  

Well according to that image they have every PL match. So if you a PL fan in Canada I don't see why you wouldn't just get DAZN now so you don't have to worry about what select matches you would get on traditional broadcaster. Not to mention they have the Champions league as well...

They're annual offer of $150 which works out to $12.50/mth starting to look like pretty good value.

Edited by mpg_29

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Well according to that image they have every PL match. So if you a PL fan in Canada I don't see why you wouldn't just get DAZN now so you don't have to worry about what select matches you would get on traditional broadcaster. Not to mention they have the Champions league as well...

They're annual offer of $150 which works out to $12.50/mth starting to look like pretty good value.

Honestly, I find that I have so many kid commitments that my EPL watching has been on the downswing in the last couple of years.  After school sports, Saturday morning bball, etc - it may be that a game of the week is enough.  But if they get CPL as well it puts it of the top for me.  Conversely, if they don't get CPL, I don't see myself subscribing to two services and I want my $$ to go to whoever back CPL.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, I find that I have so many kid commitments that my EPL watching has been on the downswing in the last couple of years.  After school sports, Saturday morning bball, etc - it may be that a game of the week is enough.  But if they get CPL as well it puts it of the top for me.  Conversely, if they don't get CPL, I don't see myself subscribing to two services and I want my $$ to go to whoever back CPL.

You'll be getting a better bang for your buck if CPL ends up on an existing service that already has other sports. If mediaPro tries to sell a subscription to CPL directly the price is going to have to be cheaper than these other services imo.

8 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

That’s great for soccer in Canada take one of the most popular leagues in Canada off of mainstream TV in Canada. Out of sight out of mind . You think a casual fan is going to go out of his way to get DAZN don’t think so. Less and less soccer on mainstream TV is not good . Eventually all we will have on mainstream TV in Canada is Hockey, Baseball, CFL, NFL, Curling , Basketball and Golf and maybe Tennis. Yup this will do wonders for soccer’s popularity in Canada with no soccer on mainstream TV !

The interesting thing regarding the DAZN pick up of the EPL is the amount the apparently paid for it (per The Athletic) - insider says $10-15 million a year for the next 3 years.  I've always had my suspicions on that rumoured "$150 million for 10 years" deal with MediaPro, and this DAZN deal sort of continues that.  I can't see the EPL and the CPL being valued in Canada equally.

For those with an Athletic subscription, you can find it here: https://theathletic.com/903037/2019/04/03/what-dazn-means-for-your-english-premier-league-viewing-today-and-maybe-your-hockey-tomorrow/

Edited by Watchmen

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

According to the Globe & Mail article, DAZN is not interested in broadcasting the CPL at this time

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-streaming-service-dazn-makes-english-premier-league-broadcast-deal/

damn. while i didn't think they'd be the one but the “right now it’s not our focus” seems cold. they don't seem to interested in canadian content it feels like

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The interesting thing regarding the DAZN pick up of the EPL is the amount the apparently paid for it (per The Athletic) - insider says $10-15 million a year for the next 3 years.  I've always had my suspicions on that rumoured "$150 million for 10 years" deal with MediaPro, and this DAZN deal sort of continues that.  I can't see the EPL and the CPL being valued in Canada equally.

For those with an Athletic subscription, you can find it here: https://theathletic.com/903037/2019/04/03/what-dazn-means-for-your-english-premier-league-viewing-today-and-maybe-your-hockey-tomorrow/

I don’t know the numbers either but DAZN buying EPL rights for 3 years for one country is not the same as mediaPro buying the global rights for CPL/CMNT/WMNT for a decade...

What would be the global rights for epl for a decade? In the many billions.