CPL TV Contract

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I don’t know the numbers either but DAZN buying EPL rights for 3 years for one country is not the same as mediaPro buying the global rights for CPL/CMNT/WMNT for a decade...

What would be the global rights for epl for a decade? In the many billions.

£10.4 billion for 3 years. (Yes, that is GBP not CAD).

So around £35 billion for 10 years. Or $60 billion CAD.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/2917119/how-premier-league-record-tv-deal-will-affect-english-football?src=com

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I don’t know the numbers either but DAZN buying EPL rights for 3 years for one country is not the same as mediaPro buying the global rights for CPL/CMNT/WMNT for a decade...

How many people outside of Canada are ever going to want to watch CanPL, if the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 are also readily available to them? There are relatively few leagues that command significant rights fees globally for that sort of reason. Think the original point being made was more that even in Canada the EPL is likely to draw significantly higher ratings than CanPL will and that the numbers DAZN are paying suggest that the $200 million figure quoted for the MediaPro deal is not a rights fee but a total economic activity number.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I think it's a lot lower than that. Just checking DAZN paid 10-15 million a year for the 3 year deal per the athletic.

https://theathletic.com/903037/2019/04/03/what-dazn-means-for-your-english-premier-league-viewing-today-and-maybe-your-hockey-tomorrow/

I'd think it would be in the 200 million in Canada for 10 years. 

8 hours ago, matty said:

damn. while i didn't think they'd be the one but the “right now it’s not our focus” seems cold. they don't seem to interested in canadian content it feels like

Good point.  Sounds a little like a certain USL club that resides very close to my home.

8 hours ago, matty said:

damn. while i didn't think they'd be the one but the “right now it’s not our focus” seems cold. they don't seem to interested in canadian content it feels like

Edited by JamboAl
Double post

16 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

How many people outside of Canada are ever going to want to watch CanPL, if the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 are also readily available to them? There are relatively few leagues that command significant rights fees globally for that sort of reason. Think the original point being made was more that even in Canada the EPL is likely to draw significantly higher ratings than CanPL will and that the numbers DAZN are paying suggest that the $200 million figure quoted for the MediaPro deal is not a rights fee but a total economic activity number.

No one expects the CPL to outdraw the EPL consistently. Based on average tv ratings, MLS in Canada fails to outdraw the EPL ex when TFC was in MLS Cup, a couple of playoff matches between TFC/Impact and TFC in Champions League final. 

MLS isn't also the watched football league in the US either. Liga MX holds the number one spot and like in Canada, average tv ratings favour EPL over MLS. 

this is why streaming sports is weird

cut the chord spend $40+ streaming sports, add in netflix, amazon prime spotify, shudder, and whatever the hell other crap you want and you've got a cable bill. just wait till friends if off netflix and disney launches their thing with the simpsons

anyways fuck dazn, long live one soccer

Edited by matty

11 minutes ago, matty said:

this is why streaming sports is weird

cut the chord spend $40+ streaming sports, add in netflix, amazon prime spotify, shudder, and whatever the hell other crap you want and you've got a cable bill. just wait till friends if off netflix and disney launches their thing with the simpsons

anyways fuck dazn, long live one soccer

With all of those services you get way more content than cable. Cable hardly has any good content anymore.

25 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

With all of those services you get way more content than cable. Cable hardly has any good content anymore.

not really true. you don't get stuff like hbo, fx, most sports, news, yes you can get services to get those but they're often cheaper with cable. also most of the shows people talk about are shows made for traditional tv outlets that stream after their original run on streaming sites, so GoT, handmaids tale, rick and morty, and drag race fans use cable to follow those shows unless they bootleg it. you also get a lot of stuff you don't watch or have no interest in watching. it's weird but netflix might hit a wall once family guy and friends are gone and the true crime trend dies. they can't compete with like news or youtube (youtube is god btw). they spend $8billion on content and barely make a profit.

spotify is better but they're at war with apple so who knows where that will go. they're buying podcast networks so they could end up with a bland pallet like netflix.

also were like 5 years from needing to spend more for streams than cable (you know when everyone pulls their content from netflix and apple and amazon are at war over producing live content).

we very well could enter an age where services like shudder who are focused take over.....also radio is still the biggest game in town and streams don't seem to be killing it.

anyways enough of that. let's talk about one soccer and how it's already better than dazn

Edited by matty

All I know is that it is good to finally have some clarity.  So, a dedicated platform for CPL, V Cup, L10 and all available Nat team matches.  I have no idea if they will get the level of support they need/want, but they have me.  Hopefully the suits and bean counters have done the market analysis and are making a good gamble.  

51 minutes ago, matty said:

so anyone else think if there's a special offer for cpl season ticket holders, one soccer could over take dazn in membership numbers given the reportedly lackluster numbers dazn has?

No.

Just now, matty said:

why not? some reports have hinted they're doing like 15-20k viewers so major events between canada and the us

Yes I know how much stock you've put into a couple of reports about boxing.

There's absolutely zero chance a CPL platform will have more subscribers than one that has NFL, Champs Lg, EPL, Serie A, La Liga etc. 

One Soccer, if run properly, won't have high expectations for the short term IMO. Like the CPL itself, there is a ton of room to grow, but I hope they are realistic to begin with and expect growing pains.

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Yes I know how much stock you've put into a couple of reports about boxing.

There's absolutely zero chance a CPL platform will have more subscribers than one that has NFL, Champs Lg, EPL, Serie A, La Liga etc. 

One Soccer, if run properly, won't have high expectations for the short term IMO. Like the CPL itself, there is a ton of room to grow, but I hope they are realistic to begin with and expect growing pains.

the claims also related to the subscriber base (not just viewers for boxing) being very low for can/us. in canada the number could be under 20k users (we'll never know likely). if this is the case 10k+ super low cost subscriptions (say $3.99 a month get them every match) to cpl season ticket holders and you could close that gap. and just to state not talking short term

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, matty said:

the claims also related to the subscriber base being very low for can/us. in canada the number could be under 20k users. if this is the case 10k+ super low cost subscriptions to cpl season ticket holders and you could close that gap. and just to state not talking short term

Do these reports actually have numbers for Canada or are you coming up with those on your own?

21 minutes ago, RS said:

Do these reports actually have numbers for Canada or are you coming up with those on your own?

the most noted source (meltzer) combines us and canadian figures in his numbers for boxing and mma. so the one number (the low watch rate for major events) is a combo while the user number is assumed. that said, dazn was able to top the free app chart in january so i hope to see another number soon but it likely won't happen till we get another money fight as no other sport has seen a report on numbers come out.

it's also worth noting niche streaming services can do very well. yes there are flops but services like shudder have regularly doubled their user numbers and have had such high activity that servers have crashed. given mediapro's investment and the "nicheness" of canadian soccer could do very well by focusing content.

Edited by matty

At the York 9 FC reveal owner Preban Ganzhorn answered me that 'One Soccer' is the content provider.  All games are on that app.  

He says there will also be over the air broadcasts (but he wouldn't say who/how many will be providing those). 

He also said there will be better coverage right away on L1O games.  I'm used to watching camera on a pole production and doubted there'd be eight camera angles for a crowd of 50 in attendance...maybe once a week? I said...We left it at that.