CPL General

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not sure what kind of brain worms one would need to have to think a change in government would have a significant effect one way or the other on the direction of the economy, let alone a knock-on effect on a niche minor sports league. Just another day online I guess.

With all due respect, where have you been for the last decade or so? People in general are way less rational then we would like...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, phil03 said:

With all due respect, where have you been for the last decade or so? People in general are way less rational then we would like...

Says the guy who just surmised that the left wing are more likely soccer fans than the right.

Edited by Stanley
missed a word

The only reason BMO Field happened in Toronto and all that followed on from that is that Italian-Canadian politicians from the federal Liberals (Joe Volpe) and city council NDP group (Joe Pantalone) were in the influential roles needed to make it happen. Most of the news coverage of what unfolded was only being reported by Corriere Canadese in Italian and was ignored by mainstream media outlets until it was very close to happening. One of the most vociferous opponents by that point was Doug Ford. Not saying that's a reason to decide to vote Liberal or NDP in 2024 but it's naive to think that the major political parties are equally soccer friendly.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The only reason BMO Field happened in Toronto and all that followed on from that is that Italian-Canadian politicians from the federal Liberals (Joe Volpe) and city council NDP group (Joe Pantalone) were in the influential roles needed to make it happen. Most of the news coverage of what unfolded was only being reported by Corriere Canadese in Italian and was ignored by mainstream media outlets until it was very close to happening. One of the most vociferous opponents by that point was Doug Ford. Not saying that's a reason to decide to vote Liberal or NDP in 2024 but it's naive to think that the major political parties are equally soccer friendly.

This is correct. Except it was Rob Ford, Doug's brother, who would eventually become the crackhead mayor.

4 minutes ago, Metro said:

^^ Brother Rob was also a vocal opponent, IIRC.  I think the politician who put the most effort was Mayor David Miller, also a big footy fan.

And ironically one of the World Cup training facilities is about to be renamed Rob Ford Park.

We are governed by the stupidest people now.

47 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Put some respect on CPL's name...

Over time, you would expect a certain of number of CPL over MLS results, but each one will require a sub-standard performance from the MLS side. Maybe shameful is not the right word, but an MLS team that loses to a CPL side (or a CPL side losing to a League One team) should be asking how it all went wrong. An MLS team that plays well will not lose to a CPL squad any time soon.

Noonan is just doing what a commissioner does and is defending his league in the public eye. We love our oligopolies in Canada and professional soccer is no different. As with any business in this country the little guys have to fight and scratch and claw for relevance, or risk having the big 3 clubs stamp them out.

MLS clubs continue to not take this competition seriously until the final stages and they keep getting burned.

38 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Noonan is just doing what a commissioner does and is defending his league in the public eye. 

Yes, but he comes across as silly when he talks about D1 status and ignores the fifteen times salary multiple between the teams involved.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Put some respect on CPL's name...

30 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Yes, but he comes across as silly when he talks about D1 status and ignores the fifteen times salary multiple between the teams involved.

Basically this. Like, yes the wording might not have been perfect but that kind of hyperboly is par for the course when fanbases are unhappy about a defeat, and all over the world they generally don't tend to react well when they are beaten by a smaller club, D1 or not...

Like, when all is said and done I don't think the overfocus on D1, which IMO is a bit disconnected to the reality at times, isn't really serving the league well. In this instance it lead to misplaced pride not only making Noonan like silly indeed but also to him kinda accidently downplaying the achievements of his own league in a sense...

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

As with any business in this country the little guys have to fight and scratch and claw for relevance, or risk having the big 3 clubs stamp them out.

Is any of this really that unique to Canada though? All over the world you tend to have an handful of clubs dominating the whole thing, with some rare exceptions here and there sure but noting more then some exceptions...

And when it come to Cup competition I would actually say the three MLS clubs are better citizens, so to speak of Canadian Soccer then a lot of top clubs all over the world. We just have to look at concacaf to see the comparaison with, of course, the whole US Open mess but also with Mexico having essentially killed its cup competition under the guise of an hiatus with no end date.

Edited by phil03

37 minutes ago, Kingston said:

It's the posture that Bob Young and Scott Mitchell have been pushing since back around 2018. Even though they are spending a lot less than an MLS DP salary on their entire roster they want us all to pretend that CanPL is the top soccer league operating in Canada even when it's abundantly obvious to just about everybody that it isn't and won't be for as long as there are also MLS clubs around.

Posted (edited)

If the CPL is upset about terms like "shameful" being used when an MLS team loses, then they don't also get to brag when they win. After all, it's "just a D1 side beating another D1 side".

Also, it was a pitiful performance from the Whitecaps and the fans have been pointing out they've been trending this way for a while.

Edited by Watchmen

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Also, it was a pitiful performance from the Whitecaps and the fans have been pointing out they've been trending this way for a while.

Form will come and go, but these games are happening just right for the CPL at the moment.  They've hit both Vancouver and Montreal at very low points and have side stepped a better performing TFC.  And full credit to the CPL teams for making it count.

48 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If the CPL is upset about terms like "shameful" being used when an MLS team loses, then they don't also get to brag when they win. After all, it's "just a D1 side beating another D1 side".

Yeah, I see the MLS coache's use of the word "shame" to refer to their own team's performances, not the fact that they lost to CPL sides. Whitecapa have lost enough times to CPL teams, that they should know to prepare better than they did for second leg against Calgary.

Interesting table so far this season! I'm worried about where Pacific might end up if we don't quickly find an Ndom replacement to organize our back line, but I'm still not convinced ottawa and Vancouver aren't overachieving 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Interesting table so far this season! I'm worried about where Pacific might end up if we don't quickly find an Ndom replacement to organize our back line, but I'm still not convinced ottawa and Vancouver aren't overachieving 

Vancouver...probably.

Ottawa...I don't think so. I expected them to be good with all of the off season additions, but with Del Campo performing the way he is, I think they have the potential to run away with things.

In fact I hope they advance in the V's Cup, because I am curious to see them match up against an MLS side.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the salary cap from the NSL ($1.5M with a $1M floor) for 2025 - you have to think that CPL will have little choice to match this at a bare minimum, if not exceed it as of 2025. Otherwise, they'll open themselves to salary criticism - which will be entirely warranted and their own fault if they let themselves get caught into this narrative.

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Looking at the salary cap from the NSL ($1.5M with a $1M floor) for 2025 - you have to think that CPL will have little choice to match this at a bare minimum, if not exceed it as of 2025. Otherwise, they'll open themselves to salary criticism - which will be entirely warranted and their own fault if they let themselves get caught into this narrative.

I'm not sure what that salary criticism would be - just that the women's league is higher?

The CPL probably can't yet economically sustain the salaries it is already paying in most markets.

The NSL will have to see if their business model allows them to sustain those salaries.  Maybe they will out draw the CPL.  Maybe they have financial backers that the CPL doesn't because of the desire of some people and companies to support women's sports.

Regardless, each league will have to operate at a salary level that makes financial sense for them irrespective of what the other is doing.