CPL General

Posted (edited)

Having the mayor and the commissioner gives it a strong expansion vibe.

Maybe they announce a new team and some summer friendlies?

Does Kelowna have a usable stadium?

Edited by narduch

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Having the mayor and the commissioner gives it a strong expansion vibe.

Maybe they announce a new team and some sum.er friendlies?

Does Kelowna have a usable stadium?

Ya, this can't just be a couple of friendlies vs UBC-O. Hmmmmm

If Vancouver FC is making the announcement then they're probably playing a game there or starting a youth program there.

Expansion bids aren't usually provided by other teams showing up, otherwise they'd just list the owners and not the team itself.

BMA Brewing is one of a couple breweries across the street from Elks stadium where the rumored downtown location of a team would be. I think its either an expansion announcement or more likely a friendly game played by Vancouver fc to be played at Elks stadium with a temp setup. To gauge interests, create hype for an expansion team. Whatever you like

BTW Apple Bowl's a dump

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

BMA Brewing is one of a couple breweries across the street from Elks stadium where the rumored downtown location of a team would be. I think its either an expansion announcement or more likely a friendly game played by Vancouver fc to be played at Elks stadium with a temp setup. To gauge interests, create hype for an expansion team. Whatever you like

BTW Apple Bowl's a dump

I've never played there but have been to Kelowna plenty of times and have driven around the stadium out of interest. Let's just say it seems less appealing in person than the pictures at Tourism Kelowna depict. 

Would be an alright venue (and market) for a L1BC team. As far as CPL goes, it would fill in a geographical gap, but I question whether it's the right market. I mean, I will root for their success if it happens, but I would rather see something in Quebec, or bring back Edmonton (or both).

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I've never played there but have been to Kelowna plenty of times and have driven around the stadium out of interest. Let's just say it seems less appealing in person than the pictures at Tourism Kelowna depict. 

Would be an alright venue (and market) for a L1BC team. As far as CPL goes, it would fill in a geographical gap, but I question whether it's the right market. I mean, I will root for their success if it happens, but I would rather see something in Quebec, or bring back Edmonton (or both).

I lived in Kelowna and absolutely loved it. Played a few years and there is definitely a strong footy community. Would totally live there if the situation was right. I'm not sure when you were there but it couldn't have been between May and August. The vibe certainly changes in the winter but turns to more of a college town. But lots of money in the Okanagan. They say the population doubles in the Summer and if you've lived thru it it certainly feels that way. The dt is a great setup and is growing. Will be the #1 away days destination in the league for sure. I've been on record many times saying it will be a success and have also said it would an easier sell then a Fraser Valley team.

My read of this situation is Vancouver fc playing a friendly. Hopefully a relatively high profile friendly 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I lived in Kelowna and absolutely loved it. Played a few years and there is definitely a strong footy community. Would totally live there if the situation was right. I'm not sure when you were there but it couldn't have been between May and August. The vibe certainly changes in the winter but turns to more of a college town. But lots of money in the Okanagan. They say the population doubles in the Summer and if you've lived thru it it certainly feels that way. The dt is a great setup and is growing. Will be the #1 away days destination in the league for sure. I've been on record many times saying it will be a success and have also said it would an easier sell then a Fraser Valley team.

My read of this situation is Vancouver fc playing a friendly. Hopefully a relatively high profile friendly 

I've been there exclusively in summer and it's a fantastic place. And yes in summer the population feels bigger than the quarter million people who live in the city and surrounding area. I am not sure that translates to a viable CPL market, though. 

Personally, I will be going to a CPL game if and when the league expands there, because I am a Canadian footy fan, but I am not sure how many out-of-towners are going to bother going unless their team (probably Cavalry or Vancouver FC) happen to be in town at the same time. 

That said, strong local footy scene could make them sustainable regardless. Just not convinced folks on a weekend beach/wine getaway are going to bother fitting in Okanagan FC into their schedule, even though I would.

Edit - When I refered to tourism kelowna I was referring to the pic of the Apple Bowl someone else posted. Was just commenting how it looks better in that picture than in person, at least from what I have seen (which is not much). 

The location also seems less than ideal. It's not downtown where most people are. 

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I've been there exclusively in summer and it's a fantastic place. And yes in summer the population feels bigger than the quarter million people who live in the city and surrounding area. I am not sure that translates to a viable CPL market, though. 

Personally, I will be going to a CPL game if and when the league expands there, because I am a Canadian footy fan, but I am not sure how many out-of-towners are going to bother going unless their team (probably Cavalry or Vancouver FC) happen to be in town at the same time. 

That said, strong local footy scene could make them sustainable regardless. Just not convinced folks on a weekend beach/wine getaway are going to bother fitting in Okanagan FC into their schedule, even though I would.

Edit - When I refered to tourism kelowna I was referring to the pic of the Apple Bowl someone else posted. Was just commenting how it looks better in that picture than in person, at least from what I have seen (which is not much). 

The location also seems less than ideal. It's not downtown where most people are. 

K got it. Yah it's a rundown facility. Okanagan Sun for football gets some good crowds there but I think that was more in the past 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Last time I played there, it was for the wrong kind of football. I was well down the depth chart at receiver for my junior football team when we played the Sun up there. I didn't get off the bench on offence, but managed 3-4 special teams tackles. One of the boys had managed to get UFC VI on VHS and we watched it over a LOT of beers on the bus home afterwards.

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Everyone calm the fuck down it's not expansion. Vancouver hosting Cavalry for their June 16 game. Great idea nonetheless...

That was the weekend where I was planning to  travel down to Langley for the basketball Bandits on Saturday night and then VFC on Sunday to compare the crowd vibe for the two franchises.  So much for that.  I will look for another weekend.

Wouldn't you announce a plan like this before the season began?  Seems kind of spur-of-the-moment-ish.  Well, if the STH of VFC are good with giving up a home game to Kelowna, good on them.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

That was the weekend where I was planning to  travel down to Langley for the basketball Bandits on Saturday night and then VFC on Sunday to compare the crowd vibe for the two franchises.  So much for that.  I will look for another weekend.

Wouldn't you announce a plan like this before the season began?  Seems kind of spur-of-the-moment-ish.  Well, if the STH of VFC are good with giving up a home game to Kelowna, good on them.

I'm guessing they're looking ahead at some of their possible attendance numbers and thinking they can weather any blow back.  Because yeah, announcing during the season that you're moving a home game to another city is sort of...amateur.

10 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Kelowna over Moncton all day long.

Kelowna should get a team but then other cities who also should get teams: Saskatoon who already have a world class stadium 🏟 Mosaic Stadium in Saskatchewan unless Saskatoon decides to build another stadium or hell Quebec City they deserve a team too even

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Kelowna should get a team but then other cities who also should get teams: Saskatoon who already have a world class stadium 🏟 Mosaic Stadium in Saskatchewan unless Saskatoon decides to build another stadium or hell Quebec City they deserve a team too even

Mosaic is in Regina, actually. Super cool stadium (by Canadian standards) I would like to one day visit. Unfortunately though, it's probably too large to be ideal as it's somewhere around 30k capacity. 

As far as Sask goes, I am hoping for Saskatchwean (instead of Regina) and I am hoping something similar to Prairieland park gets built:

https://prairielandpark.com/soccer-stadium/

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

As far as Sask goes, I am hoping for Saskatchwean (instead of Regina) and I am hoping something similar to Prairieland park gets built:

https://prairielandpark.com/soccer-stadium/

If Saskatoon wants a team, they should find an owner willing to go the Halifax route.  Put up their own modular stadium, sell it out for four or five years, and then approach city council about help for a permanent venue.  This contrasts with the prairieland proposal, which was essentially “build us a $30 million stadium first and then we’d be willing to see if soccer might work in Saskatoon.”

Posted (edited)

Whoop, there it is:

https://vancouverfc.canpl.ca/article/vancouver-fc-host-inaugural-canadian-premier-league-on-tour-match-in-kelowna-b-c

Vancouver will host Cavalry at Kelowna’s Apple Bowl on Sunday, June 16. The regular season match will kick off at 2 p.m. PT / 5 p.m. ET and be played in lieu of the game that was previously scheduled for Sunday, June 16 at Willoughby Community Park in Langley, B.C. 

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/110060A2E2706409

Edited by chalms04

Posted (edited)

Okanagan FC went on hiatus from PCSL this year....

To be honest while I'm glad to see this event coming here, I'm kind of shocked its going to be at the Apple Bowl in its current state and I'm afraid the way this is being set up will not result in the best possible crowd. 

I'll be doing what I can to get all my players and families out but it's basically a crumbling high school level stadium with limited parking and a track between the fans and the field - also on a sunday in June - all the Interior BC rep leagues (TOYSL) and many of the most engaged soccer families have games every sunday. Our leagues all wrap for the summer on the 27th, it's such a shame this wasn't just a bit later as probably half the soccer community in town with older players will be in kamloops, vernon, salmon arm, penticton etc.

I know if we want to be in the league we have to be able to draw on a sunday regardless of youth soccer schedules but just seems like a bit of a shame if you just wanted to do one day and game to sell the community to investors that you couldn't have waited two weeks.  I'm guessing that's probably 200-300 of your most hardcore members of the soccer community who will have a hard time getting to the game.

Seems like they're feeling out the market but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if they drew more than 2k at that site and with those facilities on this kind of 5 week lead time unless there is some kind of massive promotional budget.

Had really been hoping for the next news to come in our community that we're finally funding a proper stadium somewhere close to downtown or for an event like this to be planned for months with some new temporary stands and a beer garden added and plenty of time for those of us in the soccer community to hype it up, so feel a bit mixed about this.

Anyway, will be doing what I can to get as many people out as possible... hopefully we can make this a success!

Edited by Footscray