CPL General

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Are amateur clubs like Lucania and Sons of Italy not still around?

They are. Maybe I shouldn't leave that level of football out of the convo. I suppose I'm just not convinced that anyone who has pro aspirations after high school would even bother with the MMSL. At least not from a serious development pathway/exposure perspective. Maybe from a general fitness/college (other) offseason perspective?

Edited by PegCityCam

If you are in Winnipeg and there is nothing else though? Strongly suspect the MMSL was where the Fury found Tony Nocita before he went on to play for the CMNT. There's really no possibility of that sort of thing happening again and the Valour always need to bring in players from the GTA, Montreal and lower mainland BC who will play for burger flipping money? With some of the roster rules that have changed for this season it looks like they will need to start recruiting locally to a certain extent.

If there's going to be a League One Prairies they are likely going to need at least four Winnipeg clubs to reach a sustainable number of teams long term because beyond that there's Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Regina, ... before you get out into Wendell Clark rather than Tony Nocita sort of country. That means they'll likely need to persuade at least some MMSL clubs to do a lot more driving to a few away games each season so they get a shot at playing the Valour in the Canadian Championship if the Blue Bombers hang in there with their soccer club.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you are in Winnipeg and there is nothing else though? Strongly suspect the MMSL was where the Fury found Tony Nocita before he went on to play for the CMNT. There's really no possibility of that sort of thing happening again and the Valour always need to bring in players from the GTA, Montreal and lower mainland BC who will play for burger flipping money? With some of the roster rules that have changed for this season it looks like they will need to start recruiting locally to a certain extent.

If there's going to be a League One Prairies they are likely going to need at least four Winnipeg clubs to reach a sustainable number of teams long term because beyond that there's Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Regina, ... before you get out into Wendell Clark rather than Tony Nocita sort of country. That means they'll likely need to persuade at least some MMSL clubs to do a lot more driving to a few away games each season so they get a shot at playing the Valour in the Canadian Championship if the Blue Bombers hang in there with their soccer club.

Sorry, do you have an overarching point you're trying to get across? 

CPL Clubs must be fully roster compliant by April 1, 2024 at 5 p.m. ET.

1. Primary Roster must include a minimum of 20 players signed to a Standard Professional Contract
Valour (18), Pacific (19) and Ottawa (19 or 18 w/o Grant) have not met this requirement

2. Primary Roster must include a minimum of 3 Domestic Under-21 Player born Jan. 1, 2003 or later
Ottawa (Antinoro, Walker) and Valour (Sanchez, Binate) have not met this requirement

On 11/9/2023 at 10:59 AM, Big_M said:

but but but $2 billion in assets under management means hes a billionaire right? just like shillington the "billionaire'' who sent his teams to a large number of away games with five subs? when ppl realize how much money they can lose as sports team owners all that big talk suddenly disappears...wasnt sixfive gonna buy a european club in 2021 or 2022? dont know about this harburg person but one thing is clear: sixfive badly needs either new investment or a sale of at least one of the teams

On 9/25/2023 at 9:55 PM, Big_M said:

edmonton is way down on noonans list...hes a very cautious person and made it clear its not happening without a proper stadium solution...so yeah no way thats happening by 2025...goal is likely one bc or ontario team + quebec for 2025 and making sure everyone else survives...+hfx needs a stadium solution for 2025...york needs new ownership and new ownership would probably be beneficial for valour and one of the sixfive teams...so a lot of work to do with existing teams + trying to find the right ownerships and stadiums to get new teams in...noonan has lot on his plate

On 7/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, Big_M said:

talk recently has more been about 12 teams by 2026...we have learned that noonan is a very cautious person...I have nothing against that...prefer seeing strong stable teams come in than force a bunch in because of a timeframe and see some fold...you need the right ownership and stadium which is very difficult to get...and then you need to get a bunch of other stuff right like the marketing...even now a big part of the focus is probably to help find new ownership for york and one of the sixfive teams and maybe even valour

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2023/04/15/cpl-chief-mark-noonan-will-be-disappointed-if-cpl-doesnt-have-12-teams-by-2026/

On 7/27/2023 at 3:33 PM, Big_M said:

we are asked to believe nothing is wrong financially at sixfive even with heavy financial losses from each of the two pro teams not having great attendance so surely it cant be about money...and a year or more after talking about looking to buy a club in europe theres no word on that

On 6/1/2023 at 4:40 PM, Big_M said:

with two teams far from the required 5-6k to break even better believe sixfive will quickly look for new investors or to sell at least one of the two

was easy to read way back

...but there are none so blind as those who will not see where this particular subforum is concerned.

Another angle is that there haven't been any reports that the new five year lease offered by the new Langford council has been signed and that the referendum on the stadium expansion funding is actually going to happen. At one point the stated anticipated timeline on the papers being signed was the next few days. That announcement by the City of Langford was a no dressed up as a yes because I seriously doubt the voters would actually approve it if it did go to a vote in the current fiscal climate.

Beyond that it has been obvious from who they have been signing that three out of eight clubs are not spending at the cap with the poster child for that being the Valour. What sort of lease deal would the Blue Bombers offer a tenant after they have lost interest in running the team? Suspect neither of these potential sales would necessarily have to involve the club staying where it is now and that the countdown clock is likely already ticking down on these clubs outright folding should a sale not eventuate by the end of this season.

Now would be a good time for the league to ease up a bit on stadium requirements in the context of markets like Laval and K/W to build a core group of clubs in the Quebec-Windsor corridor that could still put a reasonable quality team on the field on scaled back budgets in a post-Mediapro deal environment in which the terms of the CSB deal is in all likelihood going to be under ongoing mainstream media and federal government scrutiny. They don't have to keep tilting at windmills where MLS being the de facto D1 in Canada is concerned but I suspect that's all Bob Young is really interested in doing in all of this...

Edit: the stated anticipated timeline on the lease extension back on Feb 13th was "in the coming days" rather than "next few days":

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-news/langford-to-hold-referendum-on-expanding-starlight-stadium-8297564

... “While negotiations are complex and involve numerous intertwined agreements between the city and PFC, the city has presented a mutually beneficial offer of a new five-year use agreement to PFC,” the city’s post said.

The city is optimistic that this will be finalized in the coming days and that PFC will continue to play in Langford for years to come.” ...

AFAIA there has been no report that the offer made by the City of Langford at that point where the lease extension was concerned was subsequently signed by SixFive Sports.

Pacific have invested quite a bit in the community. I wonder if any of the academy, training centre, 5 aside pitch, Fan Shop, or deals with private schools around town would be included with the sale of the club

Hmmm, the unsolvable 3 parrot problem.........Bob Young vanity project + MLS envy + every piece of ominous news= small stadium + golden horseshoe bus league + mls farm teams = parrot bliss

When the league goes under, when halifax, Calgary and Pacific take it in the ass and you get some sort of revamped semi pro bus league in your back yard (oops there already is a L1O), so you can not go to those games either.. I hope your little heart will grow 2 sizes that day.....wont that be a happy day for you, knowing you were right all along?  

50 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...but there are none so blind as those who will not see where this particular subforum is concerned.

Another angle is that there haven't been any reports that the new five year lease offered by the new Langford council has been signed and that the referendum on the stadium expansion funding is actually going to happen. At one point the stated anticipated timeline on the papers being signed was the next few days. That announcement by the City of Langford was a no dressed up as a yes because I seriously doubt the voters would actually approve it if it did go to a vote in the current fiscal climate.

Beyond that it has been obvious from who they have been signing that three out of eight clubs are not spending at the cap with the poster child for that being the Valour. What sort of lease deal would the Blue Bombers offer a tenant after they have lost interest in running the team? Suspect neither of these potential sales would necessarily have to involve the club staying where it is now and that the countdown clock is likely already ticking down on these clubs outright folding should a sale not eventuate by the end of this season.

Now would be a good time for the league to ease up a bit on stadium requirements in the context of markets like Laval and K/W to build a core group of clubs in the Quebec-Windsor corridor that could still put a reasonable quality team on the field on scaled back budgets in a post-Mediapro deal environment in which the terms of the CSB deal is in all likelihood going to be under ongoing mainstream media and federal government scrutiny. They don't have to keep tilting at windmills where MLS being the de facto D1 in Canada is concerned but I suspect that's all Bob Young is really interested in doing in all of this...

The referendum hasn't been announced? 

It was reported over a month ago that the deal is stalled because the promised expansion hasn't happened and a referendum was being held. Having the stadium completed would no dount add value to the club 

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-news/langford-to-hold-referendum-on-expanding-starlight-stadium-8297564 

44 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

For the sake of balance:

Balance? That's the same reporter (who has direct contact with the club) that broke the news about the club being for sale. As is this reply saying it has nothing to do with concerns over the stadium expansion 

Screenshot_20240401_105404_Chrome~2.jpg

Edited by Aird25

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^if he doesn't grasp why I termed it balance you have to wonder whether he grasps that Manuel Veth might simply be doing what he needs to do to make sure SixFive Sports still provide him with pressbox access this season with those follow up tweets.

He's the Regional North American Manager for Transfermarkt and he has media access to MLS and Bundesliga matches, as well as others. I really don't think he’s bending over backwards for Pacific access and I think it's in Pacific's best interest to keep him involved 

Isn't everything for sale?

My wish would be that more Canadians with money would be more willing to get involved in owning a professional soccer team. I guess the reality is around the world its such an industry that it's not such an unfamiliar enterprise to them like it would be to a Canadian.

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Isn't everything for sale?

My wish would be that more Canadians with money would be more willing to get involved in owning a professional soccer team. I guess the reality is around the world its such an industry that it's not such an unfamiliar enterprise to them like it would be to a Canadian.

Someone call the Emirates n Saudis

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

My wish would be that more Canadians with money would be more willing to get involved in owning a professional soccer team. 

I also been wishing this for years without much success.☹️

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Veth didn't say that the clubs are for sale. He said they're in the market for new owners. Could be quite different in fact. 

I think this is an indicator they're being active in looking for a sale. Not that either ownership is going to walk away (i don't think it's a York situation) but that they've both reached a point (for different reasons) where they'd like to divest themselves of the club and there's going to be a bigger push to do so.

And not that there's any real rumours right now, but this probably does undermine any current expansion plans. That's just too many ownership groups to try to find.

Edited by Watchmen

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think this is an indicator they're being active in looking for a sale. Not that either ownership is going to walk away (i don't think it's a York situation)...

Think people need to remember one important aspect to the backdrop of all this. The broadcast rights for CanPL and other CSB controlled properties were claimed back from Mediapro a couple of months ago.

There has been no indication that has been reversed even if this season is still going to be on Onesoccer this summer so if the implications of that wind up being that rights fees are no longer going to be forthcoming from Mediapro, SixFive Sports' share of the loss relative to previously anticipated income for this season could be in the $1.5-2 million range. Then there's the whole question of who is paying for production on the live broadcasts using Mediapro Canada's equipment at this point. That again could easily be another financial hit of the better part of $1 million per club per season in the worst case scenario for the league.

Given Vancouver FC is looking like a financial black hole after the sparse attendance at most games last year there are possible reasons why jettisoning the second club could now be a necessity rather than something that they planned on getting around to doing eventually. Think we won't have a clear picture of what the fall out from the Mediapro deal bust up is ultimately going to be until the end of this season. Do we even know if the legal actions by both parties are still being pursued or whether those got shelved when they reached an agreement for this season to be on Onesoccer?