CPL General

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Watching all these signings come in am I the only one who feels like the salary cap must have gone up a bit?

It does feel like there has been some strong recruitment. It should make for a fun season

A look at a possible CPL circa 2039 by looking at the A-League approaching it's 20th year.

APL is at 12 teams but is expected to be 14 soon with the goal of reaching 16. However, they're facing cash flow uncertainties which will delay getting to 16.

Expansion fees are at A$25m but the fee for the Auckland club was reportedly closer to $18m. Auckland's owner owns Bournemouth. Las Vegas Knights and has a stake in Lorient.

Current media deal is $40m/yr but keep in mind rights for Australian-based sports are generally much higher than seen in Canada. Australia is way more of a sports country and don't face prime time competition from leagues of other countries. $10m/yr is spent by APL for broadcast production.

All matches streamed on P+ and 2/week on a secondary free-to-air digital channel (<5% share). Ratings aren't considered good as it is behind all other Australian codes. Most matches aren't meeting the threshold to be rated. A top rated Saturday night match will get over 100k.

A few years back, $140m was invested into the APL by private equity firm Silver Lake for a 33% stake. Their sports investments include 20 minor league baseball teams, US$500m into City Football Group, minority stake in Endeavor which owned WWE and a stake into NZ Rugby.

Stadium capacity ranges from 5k to 52.5k. Average attendance for current season is 8k ranging from 3.3k to 14.5k. 3 clubs have folded since inception. 

Transfer market total league player values are around US$95m with highest club at US$11.8m.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/31/a-league-expansion-2026-new-teams-updates-potentially-scrapped

10 minutes ago, red card said:

A look at a possible CPL circa 2039 by looking at the A-League approaching it's 20th year.

APL is at 12 teams but is expected to be 14 soon with the goal of reaching 16. However, they're facing cash flow uncertainties which will delay getting to 16.

Expansion fees are at A$25m but the fee for the Auckland club was reportedly closer to $18m. Auckland's owner owns Bournemouth. Las Vegas Knights and has a stake in Lorient.

Current media deal is $40m/yr but keep in mind rights for Australian-based sports are generally much higher than seen in Canada. Australia is way more of a sports country and don't face prime time competition from leagues of other countries. $10m/yr is spent by APL for broadcast production.

All matches streamed on P+ and 2/week on a secondary free-to-air digital channel (<5% share). Ratings aren't considered good as it is behind all other Australian codes. Most matches aren't meeting the threshold to be rated. A top rated Saturday night match will get over 100k.

A few years back, $140m was invested into the APL by private equity firm Silver Lake for a 33% stake. Their sports investments include 20 minor league baseball teams, US$500m into City Football Group, minority stake in Endeavor which owned WWE and a stake into NZ Rugby.

Stadium capacity ranges from 5k to 52.5k. Average attendance for current season is 8k ranging from 3.3k to 14.5k. 3 clubs have folded since inception. 

Transfer market total league player values are around US$95m with highest club at US$11.8m.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/31/a-league-expansion-2026-new-teams-updates-potentially-scrapped

The Phoenix are at the top of the table just past mid-way through the season (unheard of) and their best draw was 9k, a low of 4k and an average of 7k.  Stadium seats 34k.

16 hours ago, red card said:

A look at a possible CPL circa 2039 by looking at the A-League approaching it's 20th year...

Really don't think it's a sensible parallel. There is no MLS equivalent in Australia so the A League is genuinely the D1 there in substance rather than the de facto second tier in the minds of most people as is the case with CanPL. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that the CanPL investors were hoping Victor Montagliani would somehow be able to strong arm the three MLS franchises into their league as part of how they would have 16 teams by 2024. That scenario would make the sheer scale of Mediapro's investment in Onesoccer actually make sense but there was no way that was going to happen after how lacklustre CanPL's launch was in 2019 and I seriously doubt it was ever going to be feasible in corporate law terms.

Another perhaps more likely scenario is that the CanPL investors and Mediapro were simply completely delusional about their immediate prospects and thought York 9 and the Forge playing the league opener at around the same time as a TFC game was going to put a major dent into TFC's home crowd. Adding Mississauga and Durham Region teams or whatever in subsequent years would then be a death by a thousand cuts and MLSE would be at their door begging to get in with their first team rather than their II team. In the event, ticket sales for the inaugural "905 derby" were slow and Bob Young had to paper the house to try to achieve the optics he wanted. It's all very well daydreaming about what Year 20 looks like based on a highly dubious Australian parallel but after what happened last week how many people would give CanPL better than 50:50 odds of even making it to 2026?

Definitely don't want to see 15 years worth of the development of Canadian pro soccer poured down the drain if this league goes into a death spiral at this point. I'll wind up having a Munch's The Scream painting moment in sheer exasperation at the complete stupidity of it all if that happens. To avoid that outcome though people really do need to come down out of the stratosphere and face the grim realities of where things are at. Part of that genuinely is that if you are drawing ECHL level crowds you probably do very much need to look at the way the ECHL approaches long distance travel to keep costs under control (before we get the inevitable, Newfoundland is expected to pick up the air fares of visiting teams).

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's all very well daydreaming about what Year 20 looks like based on a highly dubious Australian parallel but after what happened last week how many people would give CanPL better than 50:50 odds of even making it to 2026?

It's all a question of how much money they can put into the league. We're in the middle of a credit contraction and probably a recession, so this is crunch time financially for all kinds of businesses.  If the current ownership groups don't have the cash or available resources to get the league through this period without descending into an amateur-looking operation, it might be curtains. I don't know all the financial implications, but in terms of exposure, I'm not sure the failure of OneSoccer is a death blow. If they can get even a fraction of the games onto a more mainstream platform, they'll get way more exposure, but again, do they have the resources? 

I was confused about how the PWHL has been pulling off their start-up, given they're clearly papering the house in certain markets and didn't generate any interest in previous iterations. But they have a guy worth ~$6billion backing the league with several other very wealthy individuals on board, mystery solved. I don't know what Bob Young and all the other owners are worth, but I don't think they're anywhere near that level. I can't recall if the Bombers outlined Valour's expenses in enough detail to estimate travel costs, but I'd estimate it's not more than $750-900k/season for an average team. Would cutting that in half, for example, really save the league? If the owners can't handle $3.6 million between them all, then this league is probably doomed anyway. I would guess that the more successful teams are already covering their basic operating costs. I'd be very interested to know how Noonan came up with his loss number. Seems really high, and maybe just laying the groundwork for their battle with MediaPro. With enough media presence, I'm sure this league can be 8k/game. And in a few years, the money will start flowing again and silly private equity 'gurus' will again start speculating. Just have to survive long enough.

29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

...I would guess that the more successful teams are already covering their basic operating costs. I'd be very interested to know how Noonan came up with his loss number. Seems really high,...

If Noonan's number was accurate the first part of the quoted text almost certainly isn't. Think you are underestimating the damage that Mediapro pulling out can do. It's not just the lost rights fee, the league now almost certainly needs to pick up production costs to be able to broadcast all of their games and if they don't/can't do that this summer all the sponsorship deals negotiated through the CSB mechanism are called into question because they likely won't be able to fulfill the terms that they signed up to.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If Noonan's number was accurate the first part of the quoted text almost certainly isn't. Think you are underestimating the damage that Mediapro pulling out can do. It's not just the lost rights fee, the league now almost certainly needs to pick up production costs to be able to broadcast all of their games and if they don't/can't do that this summer all the sponsorship deals negotiated through the CSB mechanism are called into question because they likely won't be able to fulfill the terms that they signed up to.

I've heard conflicting reports. We all know for a fact that Mediapro paid less than agreed upon during covid citing covid. (Which makes their covid shouldn't have affected expansion argument by the way) but i heard they didn't pay their fees last year anyways 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I've heard conflicting reports. We all know for a fact that Mediapro paid less than agreed upon during covid citing covid. (Which makes their covid shouldn't have affected expansion argument by the way) but i heard they didn't pay their fees last year anyways 

I forget which article it was, but I believe it was stated that they paid 25% of the 6 million they owed the league. So they would have paid 1.5 million if that is accurate. If I remember correctly, those numbers came from MediaPro's legal documents for their case against CSB.

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

I forget which article it was, but I believe it was stated that they paid 25% of the 6 million they owed the league. So they would have paid 1.5 million if that is accurate. If I remember correctly, those numbers came from MediaPro's legal documents for their case against CSB.

I believe Neil Davidson's article stated MediaPro was paying them about $87m over 10 years, which would work out to about $8.7m a year give or take, without knowing how the payment plan was structured. So I interpreted it as 25% was paid leaving $6m, the amount CSB has stated they're owed.

Edited by Watchmen

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I believe Neil Davidson's article stated MediaPro was paying them about $87m over 10 years, which would work out to about $8.7m a year give or take, without knowing how the payment plan was structured. So I interpreted it as 25% was paid leaving $6m, the amount CSB has stated they're owed.

Here is the article.

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-sports/canadian-soccer-business-mediapro-trade-accusations-in-ontario-court-filings-8169353

"The agreement called for it to pay CSB an annual licensing fee ranging from $5 million in 2019 to $14 million in 2028, according to Mediapro."

"In its court filing, Mediapro said CSB accepted its offer of $87 million for the 10-year deal for CSB’s global media rights, together with sports betting rights and digital platform rights for the CSB assets."

Quoting CSB from that article "During the first five years of the agreement, Mediapro failed to comply with a number of its obligations, including failing to: pay $6 million of licence fees owing for 2023"

You might be right that 6 million is the unpaid portion, or it could be that 6 million was supposed to be the total fee. I guess it's not explicitly clear from what I am seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Atletico substack took a look at the season ticket packages around the league. 

The conclusion is the cheapest ticket available is at Valour at $235.25, with the most expensive at $2500 from Cavalry. The best perk would have to be from Pacific with 50% their home jersey. Some notable perks are 10 member exclusive events from Vancouver, referral program from Valour, access to the pitch for warmups from Forge, and an exclusive season member 5 year anniversary scarf from Ottawa.

Ottawa is the only team to offer any physical merch to their members, while Vancouver is the only team to give a definitive number of member events at 10. Halifax has the highest merch discount at 20% and Forge has the best concession discount at 15%. Cavalry and Ottawa are the only clubs to offer gift cards for merch to their members.

https://atleticogazette.substack.com/p/a-deep-look-at-season-tickets-across?r=2jv2u6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, masster said:

Can the season please start already!!! I'm getting impatient.

I'm trying to convince my wife to cancel dinner plans and go watch Pacific play UVic. I'm afraid she isn't likely to go for it though