CPL General

On 3/5/2024 at 7:12 PM, narduch said:

Good move by the league to add a new roster spot for a 3rd keeper. 

Am I understanding correctly that this isn't an additional roster spot, just the opportunity to devote three instead of two of the existing spots to keepers?

5 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Am I understanding correctly that this isn't an additional roster spot, just the opportunity to devote three instead of two of the existing spots to keepers?

Nope, the old rule was "A minimum of two (2) goalkeepers".

14 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Not sure now. The article doesn't say

8 hours ago, masster said:

Can the season please start already!!! I'm getting impatient.

We had a couple weeks of W Gold Cup, U20 qualifying, Canadian teams in the CONCACAF Champions Cup, and all of that is gone now. One TFC game a week until the CPL starts is going to be tough.

We can always do some predictions in the meantime.

I'd say the regular season would end up like this:

I. ATO

II. Cavalry

III. Forge

IV. Halifax

V. York

VI. VFC

VII. Pacific

VIII. Valour

In playoffs I'd say ATO beat Cavalry while Halifax beat York and Forge but eventually goes down against Cavalry. Cavalry finally win the finals thanks to having more experience with such occasion but ATO is well set up to run with the league in 2025.

For the Canadian championship all CPL clubs played against LeagueOne squad win their game while ATO, York United and Cavalry eliminate VFC, Forge and Valour. In the quarter-finals, HFX, York United and Cavalry all fall short against MLS clubs, altough Cavalry make the Whitecaps work hard for it, and ATO dispatch Pacific. I don't think ATO win the CanChamp but I could see them making it to the finals depending on their form and the one of whoever they'd be drafted against.

EDIT: Broadly speaking this season is going to be about Forge's fall and ATO's rise, now that their parent club seem to have decided to open the money tap to build them up.

Edited by phil03

14 hours ago, Kent said:

We had a couple weeks of W Gold Cup, U20 qualifying, Canadian teams in the CONCACAF Champions Cup, and all of that is gone now. One TFC game a week until the CPL starts is going to be tough.

Did CF Montreal and Whitecaps fold or something? 😛

22 minutes ago, phil03 said:

I. ATO

II. Cavalry

III. Forge

IV. Halifax

V. York

VI. VFC

VII. Pacific

VIII. Valour

Swap Cavalry and Ottawa and that looks about right to me. Think I'll also go for Pacfic ahead of Vancouver for 6 and 7. Doubt either SixFive or the Blue Bombers are spending at the cap rather than closer to the floor and that probably translates to playoffs for the other five.

Halifax suffer from having limited local talent to draw from so think there will be a clear top three not too far off each other. How the Mexican imports do for York and get along with Martin Nash who likely didn't have much input over signing them is difficult to predict at this point but might push them higher if the three brothers have good contacts.

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

I. ATO

II. Cavalry

III. Forge

IV. Halifax

V. York

VI. VFC

VII. Pacific

VIII. Valour

In playoffs I'd say ATO beat Cavalry while Halifax beat York and Forge but eventually goes down against Cavalry. Cavalry finally win the finals thanks to having more experience with such occasion but ATO is well set up to run with the league in 2025.

For the Canadian championship all CPL clubs played against LeagueOne squad win their game while ATO, York United and Cavalry eliminate VFC, Forge and Valour. In the quarter-finals, HFX, York United and Cavalry all fall short against MLS clubs, altough Cavalry make the Whitecaps work hard for it, and ATO dispatch Pacific. I don't think ATO win the CanChamp but I could see them making it to the finals depending on their form and the one of whoever they'd be drafted against.

EDIT: Broadly speaking this season is going to be about Forge's fall and ATO's rise, now that their parent club seem to have decided to open the money tap to build them up.

Cavalry
Ottawa
York
Forge
Valour
HFX
Vancouver
Pacific

7 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Did CF Montreal and Whitecaps fold or something? 😛

They exist, I just don't really care what they do outside of the Canadian Championship (cheer against them) or Champions Cup (cheer for them... I think... sometimes... I keep changing my mind).

New roster rules...

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-announces-updates-to-roster-rules-ahead-of-2024-season

players signed to CPL-U SPORTS contracts will no longer count toward a club’s 23-man primary roster

CPL MASTER ROSTER

CATEGORY ROSTER SPOTS
Primary Roster 1 – 23
Developmental Roster

• Exceptional Young Talent
  • Development Players
  • U SPORTS Players
24-32

Maximum 2 players
Maximum 4 players
Maximum 3 players

The CPL will increase each club’s player total compensation budget by approximately eight per cent to a maximum spend of $1,212,500 in 2024

Edited by K Edgar

On 3/8/2024 at 3:23 PM, Kingston said:

So an additional roster spot?

And does it then come with a bump to the salary cap?

I think the new rules explain the additional GK roster spot... It would be using the U-Sports player roster spot(s).

Daniel Clarke and/or Aiden Rushenas for HFX; Jordan Tisseur for Valour; Sterling Kerr for Cavalry; other teams could add a USports GK if they wish (as Valour did with the undrafted Tisseur last year)

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If USPORTS contract players do not count against the 23 man roster, do they also not count against the cap?

No... "All compensation to a player signed to a CPL-U SPORTS Contract is provided in the form of tuition support through an Academic Financial Award from their registering university. Tuition support does not count toward a CPL Club’s Player Compensation Budget." (Source: https://canpl.ca/roster-rules/)

10 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Too bad for Valour as we have exactly ZERO men's USports teams in the province. It's embarrassing and I hate it😭

I had never picked up on that before.  It's odd because the Manitoba schools have teams in other sports and soccer is often one of the sports schools get first (before more expensive sports like football, for example).

10 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Too bad for Valour as we have exactly ZERO men's USports teams in the province. It's embarrassing and I hate it😭

This is semi related, but did FC Manitoba fold?

They aren't listed in the USL2 list of clubs for this season

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is semi related, but did FC Manitoba fold?

They aren't listed in the USL2 list of clubs for this season

FC Manitoba is not part of the USL2 this year but let's hope it is not folding.  Perhaps they will become part of League1? (in 2025?)  Have not been able to find any info on the team's plan for this year.  FC Manitoba has rarely been used as a development team by Valour.  I would have thought there could be more player development synergy.

As for the USports Soccer in this province the closest mens team is USask.  UManitoba, UWinnipeg, even UBrandon and URegina all without teams.  This does put Valour at a disadvantage - scouting, local talent, etc.  Interesting that UManitoba, UWinnipeg and URegina all have womens soccer teams.