CPL General

18 minutes ago, fil said:

KW has the issue of being just close enough to Toronto and Hamilton that the area can be seen as a cultural dead zone. Most people with a car will travel out of town for entertainment and sports. While their are alot of University students they are from out of town and don't feel connected to the area.

I lived in Waterloo for many years and still have connections to the area.  While what you say has merit, I think the region has grown to the point where it is less outward focused.  Travel to Toronto to catch a game is also more of a pain in the neck than it might at first seem.  So I think a local pro sports option has the chance to do really well.

21 minutes ago, fil said:

A personal note, I went to the soccer merchandise store by the old bus terminal. I asked if they had Canadian Premier League shirts. The young retailer wasn't sure what I was talking about. I was surprised his lack of knowledge on Canadian soccer. I thought for sure someone had asked this question before. Of course they only carry boring Adidas stuff, plenty of shirts for Euro Snobs to wear.

This is not surprising.  Outside of people like us the CPL has a very low profile.  We have a great independent soccer store here in Kingston where I buy all my gear.  They barely have NT and Canadian MLS gear among all their Euro stuff, never mind the CPL.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Can't be talking about "another" GTA team when the primary one needs to be sustained.

They probably checked where the fans at the York games are coming from.  If none are coming from more distant GTA areas, then it makes sense to put another team or two in those places.  You wouldn't be hurting York attendance, and maybe helping it when they are playing a GTA rival.

3 hours ago, fil said:

A personal note, I went to the soccer merchandise store by the old bus terminal.

I don't know where the old bus terminal is, but I am having flashbacks to "Sports Link". Is that what you are talking about? I just googled it and apparently it still exists. I bought my first jersey there like 25 years ago. It amazed me how soccer focused the store was, I felt at home for the first time.

Sports link is downtown near Victoria Park.

Some people considered that abandoned bus terminal as a viable option for a stadium. A bit tight to be practical. 

All I can say is, maybe a wealthy local would be willing to take a long term chance in bringing CPL to the area... but it will need time to grow. Not many are willing to take financial losses for many years. 

Edited by fil

Off topic on topic.. does anyone follow the League of Ireland? I've started following a bit and see it's having a boom of popularity in Ireland. I see a lot of similarities with the CPL. A lot of the same challenges but reading why people are starting to get behind it, seems like it has a lot of the same appeal. I say this because I feel like the next 3 years could be a bit of a tipping point for both leagues 

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Off topic on topic.. does anyone follow the League of Ireland? I've started following a bit and see it's having a boom of popularity in Ireland. I see a lot of similarities with the CPL. A lot of the same challenges but reading why people are starting to get behind it, seems like it has a lot of the same appeal. I say this because I feel like the next 3 years could be a bit of a tipping point for both leagues 

Interesting. I know next to nothing about the league. What are the similarities in regards to challenges and appeal with CPL?

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Interesting. I know next to nothing about the league. What are the similarities in regards to challenges and appeal with CPL?

I don't know about either, but the attendance figures are quite similar (although the stadiums are much more appropriately sized):

https://www.transfermarkt.us/league-of-ireland/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/IR1

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

There's a lot but for instance domestically there are traditional sports that have been more popular. Most footie fans in the past have identified with epl, players have traditionally left at a young age. The league has had a hard time securing television and exposure on mainstream media platforms. They've been dogged by a lack of stadiums and infrastructure. I find the standard of play to be similar but apparently raising with the national team starting to give it more respect and credibility. They're feeling like if they can create a presence in continental competitive it could really excelerate the growth. I have a buddy who's a Shamrock supporter and really talked up the passion for the club.  The leagues attendance is way up, it's early but if feels like CPL attendance is going in the same direction. Ireland obviously has much stronger identity but similar cultural challenges living right next to and sharing a similar culture and language to a behemoth 

Ireland is actually the fastest growing country in Europe similar tp Canada and its growt. I personally and apparently I'm not the only one, has grown a little tired of the epl and most of European football. I thinks it's too big, it feels like it's lost its soul a bit and I think people are discovering the joy of supporting something that actually represents you and the place you live. I still enjoy because I'm a football fan but sitting on a couch cheering on something that has nothing to do with you is noway as rewarding as consistently being there and being apart of what the club is

I dont know I've been checking in watching extended highlights weekly and have been surprised and it just felt similar in that you can sense the potential 

It was just an observation but I guess the takeaway is.. keep on an eye on the CPL and League of Ireland 

Edited by SpursFlu

What's the advantage of having affiliated teams instead of CPL teams just having flexible loan agreements with L1C teams?

Regardless, I'm surprised Pacific didn't go with one of the clubs on the island, but I love that they seem to be developing relationships with various First Nations communities.

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What's the advantage of having affiliated teams instead of CPL teams just having flexible loan agreements with L1C teams?

The advantage is having control over how you develop a player.  Controlling the playing time they get, the system they play, etc.  This route is fine in the short term, but hopefully the CPL has longer term plans.

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Regardless, I'm surprised Pacific didn't go with one of the clubs on the island, but I love that they seem to be developing relationships with various First Nations communities.

First, it has limited value because most of these leagues are much shorter. 

It may ensure the CPL player's minutes but it decreases minutes for someone else.

As mentioned about Pacific, of a player has to move residence to do it you have to cover the cost. It's cheaper to do occasional friendlies and intersquad games. 

I appreciate the principle is impeccable and makes sense, but I'm not sure we'll see that much of it. Few teams are offering multi-year contracts to emerging players so few are invested enough to care about a kid needing minutes.

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point about training refs seems to be of utmost importance. That's why VAR refs at the WC tended to be from VAR leagues.

If you have VAR light and can't see the damn play because you're lacking camera angles what's the point?

Hopefully it just catches anything egregious. I don't need a frame by frame breakdown of a play. I think that's where VAR gets it wrong, it should only be used to catch the most obvious of misses. Otherwise, leave it to the refs and linesmans discretion.