CPL General

10 minutes ago, shorty said:

One of the signs of progress (IMO) is that there are now 8 distinct jersey sponsors for 8 teams, and we're down to only one with either the broadcaster of the league or the jersey manufacturer itself as a sponsor.

It's not necessarily a bad thing for the broadcaster to be a sponsors - they could use all the visibility they can get 😇

Given that Bustos was never the same after his injury two years ago, and contributed not very much in 2022, I think the impact of his leaving is minimal or PFC. Irving and Dixon are far more significant losses.

my gosh...that was a slog to get through. trying to faithfully get thru that entire thread, and understanding same.  tk goodness there are other sites that actually recap the league's final results, and more.

I definitely appreciate ~600 pages of commentary to skim thru for the moderated highlights and lowlights of what has taken place over the last 5 years of the CPL.  Truthfully, it is an invaluable, first-hand accounting of what has taken place for this league's existence.   Should be copy/pasted to something more accessible.

Extremely tedious at times, for extended times...i don't understand why any of you think you can do a better job at the business side of things than the people who pay $$ to do it in real life.  It is the most absurd speculation to read and consider, just dumb stuff, and it goes on forever!!  Forget it, if you don't write cheques, just shut-up on the best way to create a Canadian soccer league and sustain it!!

Post-script:  It is fantastic to read about the collective board's hopes for a sustainable professional Canadian footie league that sustains an important segment of athlete's hopes for playing this game for money as their job.  Unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees, nor does it last forever...this iteration of an attempt has as much chance as any I have previously watched.  But I have had hope a few times before...hopefully, a better organized system of identifying issues, and addressing them, is present this time...internet is a pretty great tool.

Edited by eramosat
laughing

I'm watching the Whitecaps vs LAFC CCL game, and seeing the commercials for the CPL opening weekend lineup. It's getting me pumped. Although I almost certainly can't watch most of it, all the games have me interested. Ottawa vs HFX, I am curious to see if Ottawa can continue where they left off last season and cement themselves in the top half of the league. Forge vs Cavalry is always a big match. Pacific vs Vancouver is interesting to see how Vancouver do in their debut. And York United vs Valour... OK, this one probably isn't generally an interesting match up, but I'm a York United fan and going to the game so I am excited for that!

9 hours ago, eramosat said:

...  It is the most absurd speculation to read and consider, just dumb stuff, and it goes on forever!!  Forget it, if you don't write cheques, just shut-up on the best way to create a Canadian soccer league and sustain it!! ...

The people who wrote the cheques for the CPSL in the early 80s, the CSL in the late 80s and early 90s, and the Ontario iteration of the CPSL/CSL from the late 90s to the mid-10s definitely knew what they were doing. Leave it to the money men with the fans acting only as cheeleaders and not daring to ever express an opinion and it will all work out for the best just like it always has before in Canadian soccer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Full article on his nomination
https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-hires-costa-smyrniotis-as-executive-vice-president-soccer

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not going to help the impression some fans have had that Forge has too much sway over the league office.

Isn't that what he was able to accomplish with Forge?

• He will be tasked with continually improving the CPL’s quality of play and its entertainment value, and expanding the League’s footprint in the Canadian and global sports landscape.

If he's qualified for the role and able to help the whole league to achieve the same objectives, does it matter?

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Full article on his nomination
https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-hires-costa-smyrniotis-as-executive-vice-president-soccer

Isn't that what he was able to accomplish with Forge?

• He will be tasked with continually improving the CPL’s quality of play and its entertainment value, and expanding the League’s footprint in the Canadian and global sports landscape.

If he's qualified for the role and able to help the whole league to achieve the same objectives, does it matter?

It's mostly a fun fan conspiracy theory, but there a lot of connections between Forge and the league office that other teams don't have. 

Just gotta say, I woke up this morning with a big smile on my face. The season is starting! Here we go!

I have a couple of hopes for this year. 

1) New look Wanderers represent a significant improvement. Make the playoffs.

2) Forge don't win the Shield. Mix it up.

3) At least one CPL team takes out one MLS team in Canadian Championship.

4) I get to more than one Wanderers game this year (long shot maybe with an eight month old and more expensive flights, but fingers crossed!)

5) Increased attendance and viewership across the league after the WC.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's supposed to be very expensive to do so finances is probably the main stumbling block.

that is what I've read also.  FIFA is starting trials on VAR light, sort of a budget version of the same technology.  it's not ready for prime time but there are companies offering it for testing.  seems doable for CPL

https://www.fifa.com/technical/football-technology/standards/video-assistant-referee/var-light

image.thumb.png.f26914b28158bfb26470458c2cbb0dc8.png

6 hours ago, cornerkick said:

At what point does CPL add VAR?   I think there was a missed handball in the 1st game today (halifax v ottawa), that probably would have been picked up by VAR.  Looking at this list, the time is coming when CPL should plan for it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_assistant_referee#Club_competitions

If I am thinking of the same play you are, I don't think that game would have been improved with a handball call. I kind of hate how the interpretation of an "unnatural position" has come to mean "arms aren't glued to the players sides or behind their back". In what world is it natural to run around with your arms tucked in to your sides?

I am still firmly against VAR. Goal line technology is great, because it's a black and white call, but VAR I don't like.

...while mentioning Windsor, K/W and Kelowna instead. Maybe an oversight but given it's the one that on the surface should be most imminent it probably points to that not being viewed as likely to happen for whatever reason. Depressing to hear him mention the GTA because there is a lesson that should have been drawn from the York United experience in contrast with what unfolded in Halifax.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Depressing to hear him mention the GTA because there is a lesson that should have been drawn from the York United experience in contrast with what unfolded in Halifax.

We’re not exactly flush with cities like Halifax. If we’re going to continue to expand we’ll need teams in the biggest markets 

14 hours ago, Kent said:

If I am thinking of the same play you are, I don't think that game would have been improved with a handball call. I kind of hate how the interpretation of an "unnatural position" has come to mean "arms aren't glued to the players sides or behind their back". In what world is it natural to run around with your arms tucked in to your sides?

I am still firmly against VAR. Goal line technology is great, because it's a black and white call, but VAR I don't like.

I hear ya, it's a matter of interpretation.  But, I still think it would be a good thing to implement.  CPL players are mostly aspiring to higher leagues, and most, if not all of those are using VAR.  The more you are used to it, the easier the transition(?).  Refs would also benefit from using the system also since the competitions they aspire to officiate, regional tourneys, world cup, etc, all are using VAR too. 

Pandora's box has been open, and it's not likely to be closed..