CPL General

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Is the max a player can make in a season $77K or has that gone up to?

Can't see anything on that at all. Maybe there isn't one? 

The staffing seems pretty low but maybe realistic for this league right now? This is from the CPL site:

Technical Cap Roles
The following salary parameters for CPL technical staff are applicable for the 2023 CPL Budget Year (January 1, 2023, through December 31, 2023): 

Technical salary minimum: $425,000 

Technical salary maximum: $550,000       

The following are required full-time technical staff positions for all CPL Clubs. The individuals in these roles must meet the minimum licensing standards:

Head Coach (ON CAP): Canada Soccer ‘A’ License (or equivalent from a foreign jurisdiction)

Assistant Coach (ON CAP): Canada Soccer ‘B’ License (or equivalent from a foreign jurisdiction)

2nd Assistant Coach (ON CAP): Canada Soccer ‘B’ License (or equivalent from a foreign jurisdiction) *Can also be Physical & Strength Conditioning Coach (Fitness Coach) if fully qualified for both roles

Goalkeeping Coach (ON CAP): No minimum license requirement but preference for a goalkeeping license from a recognized football federation or governing body.

Physical & Strength Conditioning Coach (Fitness Coach) (ON CAP): Strength & conditioning/fitness degree from an accredited university (e.g., MScPT) OR a certificate/qualification from a recognized football federation or regulatory body (e.g., NSCA, CSCS, CSEP) *Can also be 2nd assistant coach if fully qualified for both roles.

Medical and Admin Support Roles

Club Manager/Administrator (ON CAP): N/A

Equipment Manager (ON CAP): N/A 

The following technical staff positions, while encouraged, are not required and, if employed by a Club, would remain off-cap (license requirements listed as relevant):

Optional Positions

Athletic Therapist (OFF CAP): (require CAT(C) certification of equivalency)

Assistant/Part-Time AT/PT Services (OFF CAP): N/A

Sports Science Role (OFF CAP): No minimum license requirements but preference provided for a sports science degree from an accredited university OR a formal license/certificate from a recognized football federation or governing body. 

GM/Sporting Director (OFF CAP): N/A

Data/Video Analyst/Scouts (ON CAP): N/A

3rd Assistant Coach (ON CAP): N/A

I get the theory, its a selling league right, but age limiting quality does feel a bit counter-productive.  Coddling.

Not helping your developing assets any by making things easier on them.  Whatever improves the field of play improves development.  Doesn't seem that complicated to my mind.

I don't think I've weighed in on the playoff debate. I don't understand the people saying this devalues the season. First off, there will be a trophy for the season winners starting this year. There will be a Champions League spot for the league winner this year. Secondly, the advantage from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st is bigger than any other year, with the exception of the playoff cut-off line I suppose.

Sure, the 5th place team gets in the playoffs now, but they need to win 4 straight away games to win it all. The 4th place team needs to win a home game, then 3 straight away games to win it all. The 3rd place team needs to win a home game, then 2 straight away games. 1st and 2nd get a second chance if they lose their first game. They only need to win 2 games in a row to win the title, and they are allowed to lose their first game.

If you are in 5th there is motivation to move to 4th. If you are in 4th there is motivation to move into 3rd, etc. It's a bit different, but honestly I got used to this type of page playoff from watching curling with my dad. I got over the quirkiness of that 20 years ago.

As for the salary cap increase, it just gives me a good feeling.

Team minimum increased by 15%
Team maximum increased by 21%
Technical staff minimum increased by 21%

As for the U23 rule for internationals, I don't like it, just because it's over prescriptive. If one team thinks it's more beneficial to have experience from their internationals, fine. If another thinks it's more beneficial to have young internationals for selling them later, fine. I don't feel really strongly about it, but fewer roster rules for me is generally better. Domestic quotas I am on board for, and I'm OK with youth player requirements for domestics, but other than that I don't need more rules. I'm OK with a salary cap for now since the league is still precarious, but in general I don't like them (I wish the NHL and MLS would get rid of theirs).

Would be a strange timing where transfer windows are concerned for a player currently under contract to a CanPL club, but if its someone who was already out of contract as a free agent during the last transfer window in England back in January my understanding is that they can still be signed by a League 2 club outside the window. Think that applies to Norman but not the two you mention but we'll see what happens though.

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this. Even with only their operations in Canada I feel they may be stretching themselves too thin already. There seems to have been a drop off in focus towards Pacific recently. Particularly in off the field activities. 

https://northerntribune.ca/huddersfield-town-takeover-sixfive-sports-speculation/ 

I mean, who are we to tell rich people how to spend their money? Also, this could create a direct path between CPL and England - lots of upsides for sure

14 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this. Even with only their operations in Canada I feel they may be stretching themselves too thin already. There seems to have been a drop off in focus towards Pacific recently. Particularly in off the field activities. 

https://northerntribune.ca/huddersfield-town-takeover-sixfive-sports-speculation/ 

The rumour is that the Whitecaps are buying Huddersfield.

This seems like speculation from Northern Tribune?

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I mean, who are we to tell rich people how to spend their money? Also, this could create a direct path between CPL and England - lots of upsides for sure

As a supporter of their first club, I'd gladly ask them to spend a bit more time, money, and focus here again. The initial investment was great and I'm extremely thankful for it, but it seems to have been reigned in a couple notches. I understand the group has big ambitions, but the Vancouver team seems to have pulled resources from Pacific already, and I'm scared to think what buying a Championship club across the pond might do.

They’ve been actively looking at clubs to purchase in Europe to a. Make money and b. Create a pathway for their Victoria and Vancouver players. 
I understand they have looked at England, Austria and I believe Portugual. 
Covid hammered a lot of clubs and so there are plenty of owners happy to sell at a reasonable price. 

On 3/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Aird25 said:

VFC sending 3 guys to train at Huddersfield this off season makes more sense now.

Edited by narduch