CPL General

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I love the guys who come on the board bowing before the corporate gods and saying, "billionaires know what they're doing who are we to complain".

Well no, plenty are dumbshits and make huge mistakes. In football, a lot. They're even capable of having the money to ensure an investment and then not use it and lose their investment, out of pure incompetence. Then they'll blame the fans, or like in Edmonton, block others from doing what they won't.

So York, as if the fans were stupid and a lousy stadium wouldn't matter.

I'm also referring to the stadium they're doing in Langley. Why do you think fans have to put up with a cheapo venue or game atmosphere? I'm hoping I'm wrong or that there are enough redeeming factors.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love the guys who come on the board bowing before the corporate gods and saying, "billionaires know what they're doing who are we to complain".

Who could you possibly be talking about?

Some people on twitter are asking the obvious questions:

...a large portion of that cash will have to go into the financial black hole that is York United this season now that the Baldassarra family are not writing the cheques. The timing of their departure is not good from the league's standpoint because they can't fill York United's roster with players loaned from elsewhere to keep costs down like they did with FCE last season.

38 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Some people on twitter are asking the obvious questions:

...a large portion of that cash will have to go into the financial black hole that is York United this season now that the Baldassarra family are not writing the cheques. The timing of their departure is not good from the league's standpoint because they can't fill York United's roster with players loaned from elsewhere to keep costs down like they did with FCE last season.

This pretty much proves the CSB 'windfall' really isn't as much as the detractors want you to believe 

18 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I guess this will solve the scheduling nightmare of 9 clubs once Windsor is up and running.

But is any other club confirmed for 2024?

I haven't seen any news that Windsor is that close 

Edited by narduch

4 hours ago, narduch said:

This pretty much proves the CSB 'windfall' really isn't as much as the detractors want you to believe 

Or they have taken money out of the teams for other purposes, much like many owners have reportedly done with clubs in other countries? I am not saying this has definitely happened, but I don’t think anything is proven one way or another.  

also, didn’t owners have to submit a bond to the league before each season, suggesting the owners could have walked away from a few hundred grand that they had put up as a guarantee?

1 minute ago, maccaliam said:

Or they have taken money out of the teams for other purposes, much like many owners have reportedly done with clubs in other countries? I am not saying this has definitely happened, but I don’t think anything is proven one way or another.  

also, didn’t owners have to submit a bond to the league before each season, suggesting the owners could have walked away from a few hundred grand that they had put up as a guarantee?

But if the CSB was making so much money that a team like York United would be profitable, then they wouldn't want to walk away from that situation. I'm sure giving up the team means they are also giving up their stake in CSB.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

But if the CSB was making so much money that a team like York United would be profitable, then they wouldn't want to walk away from that situation. I'm sure giving up the team means they are also giving up their stake in CSB.

York may have been losing a little money or lots of money, but as others have suggested the likeliest explanation for a large property developer buying and then walking away from the team is that they thought they could leverage ownership of the team and a stadium proposal into a money-making (real money, not CPL peanuts) property deal, and it became apparent that wasn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I see your argument, and maybe narduch didn’t mean it quite so literally, but I still don’t think it “proves” anything (which was really my main point).

The CSB could still have been quite profitable (relatively speaking for the league) and there still could be reasons they would walk away (eg. the big development money from woodbine wasn’t going to come in which they were looking to make silly money from so they walked away.)

38 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

But CSB has previously come out with a statement saying they haven't taken any money out.

Edited by narduch

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canadian-premier-league-buys-york-143626698.html

From the article:

Noonan says the league is in discussions with "multiple groups that have expressed interest and are going through various forms of (due) diligence right now."

The move is positive, according to Noonan.

Didn't they say that about Edmonton too?

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

But CSB has previously come out with a statement saying they haven't taken any money out.

While I am not willing to take their word for it entirely without questioning not taking “ a red cent”, I am also not going to call them liars. Again, my point wasn’t that this is what was specifically happening, it was that nothing is “proven” one way or another. 

Just now, maccaliam said:

While I am not willing to take their word for it entirely without questioning not taking “ a red cent”, I am also not going to call them liars. Again, my point wasn’t that this is what was specifically happening, it was that nothing is “proven” one way or another. 

At the end of the day I just think it's just not a lot of money.

My own speculation is that they take in $5-10 million per year tops.

Once you divide that between 8 teams it's actually not a lot.

So a team with little attendance would still bleed money