Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2020 at 12:27 AM, Watchmen said:

To be fair, the virus doesn't care how much you want to go a soccer game either.  And it doesn't make the comparison between protests over police brutality and "I'm bored, let me go to a soccer game" any less tacky.

 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, Watchmen said:

I'll confess, I didn't think "comparing protests over black people being murdered to a soccer stadium being reopened" was going to be a contentious issue, but here we are.

Watchmen, I have a red pill that I really want to administer to you, but I have to warn you....it is a dose of truth that is going to hit you really hard. You will have a vulgar reaction to it like most people when confronted with something that changes their worldview, shatters their perception of things....when the brainwashing and conditioning becomes unraveled, or rewired I should say. You will curse me and call me names like Grizzly and a few others have when similar doses of truth were administered by myself. It will not be a pleasant journey, but I will be by your side while you take it. It will bring us closer together. It will be a bonding experience. 

All you have to say now is either "I am in" or "I am out"

 

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Macksam said:

 

Watchmen, I have a red pill that I really want to administer to you, but I have to warn you....it is a dose of truth that is going to hit you really hard. You will have a vulgar reaction to it like most people when confronted with something that changes their worldview, shatters their perception of things....when the brainwashing and conditioning becomes unraveled, or rewired I should say. You will curse me and call me names like Grizzly and a few others have when similar doses of truth were administered by myself. It will not be a pleasant journey, but I will be by your side while you take it. It will bring us closer together. It will be a bonding experience. 

All you have to say now is either "I am in" or "I am out"

 

Mate, with all due respect...you're a ******* imbecile. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Mate, with all due respect...you're a ******* imbecile. 🙄

@Watchmen

Case in point about that vulgar reaction I was referring to, that natural aversion to the truth 

People get scared at the thought of seeing things from a different light, the correct light because it goes against everything they have believed up until that point.

@SthMelbRed

Come brother, bhaji, whichever language you prefer. I will take you on this journey to.

All three of us will ascend hand in hand to the next level. 

Edited by Macksam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Macksam said:

@Watchmen

Case in point about that vulgar reaction I was referring to, that natural aversion to the truth 

People get scared at the thought of seeing things from a different light, the correct light because it goes against everything they have believed up until that point.

@SthMelbRed

Come brother, bhaji, whichever language you prefer. I will take you on this journey to.

All three of us will ascend hand in hand to the next level. 

Don’t do it guys! This sounds like a suicide pact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not directly CPL related, but I did come across an interesting piece on the financial impacts of COVID-19 on the CFL. Some tidbits: 

-President of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) publicly acknowledges that all CFL teams will lose money this year - and that most CFL teams lose money even in a good year. 

-OSEG president also acknowledges that ticket sales are still the largest source of revenue for the league. 

-League Commissioner had asked for a $30M bail-out from the federal government earlier this year, and sees that ballooning to $120M if the season is cancelled entirely. 

Given that this is only year two for the CPL and it's a much smaller operation, I'm cautiously optimistic that the league won't be hit quite as hard as the CFL (sort of a "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" concept in reverse). Travel, accommodations, and other logistical hurdles would be at least somewhat comparable I'm sure, but I'm hoping the lower salaries and smaller operation overall will make it easier for the CPL owners/investors to absorb the losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Given that this is only year two for the CPL and it's a much smaller operation, I'm cautiously optimistic that the league won't be hit quite as hard as the CFL (sort of a "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" concept in reverse). Travel, accommodations, and other logistical hurdles would be at least somewhat comparable I'm sure, but I'm hoping the lower salaries and smaller operation overall will make it easier for the CPL owners/investors to absorb the losses. 

Actually, it's probably reversed. Salaries will be still significant (my guess is ~ 75% of normal), but travel & accommodations would be significantly less if not nil, plus not having to pay for gameday operations. In fact, I bet the CPL teams lose *LESS* this year by having the shortened season than they would normally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Actually, it's probably reversed. Salaries will be still significant (my guess is ~ 75% of normal), but travel & accommodations would be significantly less if not nil, plus not having to pay for gameday operations. In fact, I bet the CPL teams lose *LESS* this year by having the shortened season than they would normally. 

Fair point. Depending on where they end for this proposed tournament (I'm really hoping it's Westhills), I guess they'd only have to travel there and back at the beginning and end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Not directly CPL related, but I did come across an interesting piece on the financial impacts of COVID-19 on the CFL. Some tidbits: 

-President of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) publicly acknowledges that all CFL teams will lose money this year - and that most CFL teams lose money even in a good year. 

-OSEG president also acknowledges that ticket sales are still the largest source of revenue for the league. 

-League Commissioner had asked for a $30M bail-out from the federal government earlier this year, and sees that ballooning to $120M if the season is cancelled entirely. 

Given that this is only year two for the CPL and it's a much smaller operation, I'm cautiously optimistic that the league won't be hit quite as hard as the CFL (sort of a "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" concept in reverse). Travel, accommodations, and other logistical hurdles would be at least somewhat comparable I'm sure, but I'm hoping the lower salaries and smaller operation overall will make it easier for the CPL owners/investors to absorb the losses. 

Agree with this, also CPL teams qualified for the CEWS (Federal Wage Subsidy). Pretty much means their Payroll is nil with the 25% cut they announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Actually, it's probably reversed. Salaries will be still significant (my guess is ~ 75% of normal), but travel & accommodations would be significantly less if not nil, plus not having to pay for gameday operations. In fact, I bet the CPL teams lose *LESS* this year by having the shortened season than they would normally. 

Most of the travel savings will be eaten by costs of testing, cleaning and 24/7 housing and meals.

Meal costs will be higher than usual because you can't serve meals as a buffet or serve all teams at once. 

Edited by red card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, red card said:

Most of the travel savings will be eaten by costs of testing, cleaning and 24/7 housing and meals.

Meal costs will be higher than usual because you can't serve meals as a buffet or serve all teams at once. 

Maybe - But room & board for a month vs travel, road & food accommodations for five or six months. Also, not having to pay for all the game day stuff for the fans will help. Testing is definitely a wild card however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 8:16 PM, Bison44 said:

Oh boy.. this

Bayern-Munich-Carlo-Ancelotti-Arjen-Robb

has turned to this.....

hqdefault.jpg

Thats a real blockbuster movie.  

As a bonus, the "journey" also comes with a free pair of Nike sneakers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, Watchmen said:

Well, if the CPL was hoping to capitalize on the lack of sports on tv in Canada, they've missed their window. NHL set to return August 1st with 6 games a day.

Yes, although I think they are probably watching the MLS fiasco right now and thinking maybe it's best to work towards the V-Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Yes, although I think they are probably watching the MLS fiasco right now and thinking maybe it's best to work towards the V-Cup.

Well, seeing that Rollins tweet (in another thread), it looks to be more that they just can't find a way to afford to run their tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Well, seeing that Rollins tweet (in another thread), it looks to be more that they just can't find a way to afford to run their tournament safely.

Fixed it for you. 

Testing and efficiencies around keeping everyone safe will be a huge financial cost. Fair play if they don't want to cut corners, as frustrating as they is for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some CPL Players on league communication or lack of. The CPL is either very close and hammering out final details or ready to call the season off? :

CPL Players Are Taking To Twitter To Complain About A Lack Of League Communication

The first signs of public discourse from CPL athletes came when Nico Pasquotti directly asked the league if it would clarify any plans for a season 19 days ago, with both of the Halifax Wanderers goalkeepers liking the tweet amongst numerous fans. York9 FC midfielder Chris Mannella also launched a tweet directed at the league a few days ago, but this was since taken down.

The Canadian Premier League was expected to launch a return-to-play announcement last week, with Jeff Hunt having said earlier that he expects the 2020 season to kick off in the first or second week of August. If such a timeline is still the plan, the league is cutting it close between its return-to-play announcement and the actual season itself.

To that end, it’s not immediately clear what format the shortened season will take: persistent rumours have indicated that each of the eight teams will play eachother once, with the top four teams making the playoffs – though none of this is confirmed as of yet. Langford, Charlottetown, and Moncton have been mentioned as potential host locations, with sources most recently indicating that Charlottetown was the most likely destination.

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-return-to-play-questions/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...