CPL General

On 6/18/2020 at 6:32 PM, Trois Reds said:

It's a mix of two metaphors. Dealing with bears is basically an old term which meant dealing with troubles. Basically it was implied any progress or momentum that Canadian soccer has started or built over 100 years, has been knocked down by people/circumstances/provincial squabbles/other reasons, or bears.   Running into a headwind means the same thing.

I listened to the podcast, and it sounded to me like they literally meant "bears".  That is, it's hard to run a league where you have bears rampaging on the pitches and in the stands.  I think it was a silly joke about our frontier way of life in Canada.  England has no large predators left in it, so I think there is some grudging admiration of countries where such "dangers" still exist.  I laughed at the joke, so I was fine with it.

CFL could be in very big trouble if theres no season..teams would lose millions and for community owned teams it could mean the end of them or at least in that ownership structure..Braley says cfl is likely to fold if theres no season..one thing for sure is if it survives the business model will have to change drastically

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/25/lions-owner-david-braley-believes-cfl-cant-play-in-2020-without-fans-in-stands-at-home-stadiums/

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/riders-facing-biggest-financial-crisis-in-team-history-project-30m-in-lost-revenue-if-cfl-season-cancelled-1.4998964

21 hours ago, Big_M said:

CFL could be in very big trouble if theres no season..teams would lose millions and for community owned teams it could mean the end of them or at least in that ownership structure..Braley says cfl is likely to fold if theres no season..one thing for sure is if it survives the business model will have to change drastically

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/25/lions-owner-david-braley-believes-cfl-cant-play-in-2020-without-fans-in-stands-at-home-stadiums/

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/riders-facing-biggest-financial-crisis-in-team-history-project-30m-in-lost-revenue-if-cfl-season-cancelled-1.4998964

CFL needs fans allowed in the stadiums, which should be allowed at a level of 25% -50% (along with social distancing of course).

CPL should push for the same. We're dealing with outdoor stadiums and with "experts" now saying little chance of coronavirus spread with the thousands of protests that went on recently outdoors, more the reason to push for it now and social distancing will be followed more at a stadium than it was (or wasn't) with these protests that were allowed even though they violated mass gatherings guidelines.

8 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

CFL needs fans allowed in the stadiums, which should be allowed at a level of 25% -50% (along with social distancing of course).

CPL should push for the same. We're dealing with outdoor stadiums and with "experts" now saying little chance of coronavirus spread with the thousands of protests that went on recently outdoors, more the reason to push for it now and social distancing will be followed more at a stadium than it was (or wasn't) with these protests that were allowed even though they violated mass gatherings guidelines.

I’m no ‘expert’ but it all seems a bit like putting a condom on after you’ve already gotten the girl pregnant. 

Seriously though, if people are uncomfortable, they don’t have to attend. 

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

"People protested black people being killed and violated mass gathering rules, so I should be allowed in to a stadium" is pretty tacky reasoning. 

45 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

"People protested black people being killed and violated mass gathering rules, so I should be allowed in to a stadium" is pretty tacky reasoning. 

To be fair, the virus doesn’t care about how noble or worthwhile one’s social (or mass) gathering may be. The horse is out of the barn. There’s no sense in pretending that we can do much more than take individual responsibility for healthy practices at this point. Weeks on end of protests, as well as riots (in the US at least) have ended lockdown and quarantine as a viable solution imo. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

To be fair, the virus doesn’t care about how noble or worthwhile one’s social (or mass) gathering may be. The horse is out of the barn. There’s no sense in pretending that we can do much more than take individual responsibility for healthy practices at this point. Weeks on end of protests, as well as riots (in the US at least) have ended lockdown and quarantine as a viable solution imo. 

To be fair, the virus doesn't care how much you want to go a soccer game either.  And it doesn't make the comparison between protests over police brutality and "I'm bored, let me go to a soccer game" any less tacky.