CPL General

52 minutes ago, longlugan said:

The saddest thing about your take on this is that a douchebag like yourself will probably remain unaffected but I still have faith in Karma. In the meantime why don't you think about moving to the US so you can surround yourself with likeminded intellectuals and fellow Trumpians...might I suggest Florida as a destination...I hear the weather is awesome and the Covid virus hasn't affected life there in the least bit.

You really shouldnt bother yourself with super flu. A few weeks back he was spouting stats about 40% herd immunity from a” friend in the know”. His only interest is getting league back up and running for his entertainment with whatever emotional rationale fits at the time of posting. With a mindset like that, it’s not going to be changed on a message board. Just accept and ignore.

(edited to note the best Accidental autocorrect in that first line!)

Edited by The Real Marc

I applaud any attempt by CPL to curtail, time wasting, embelishment, diving, clutching and grabbing etc, all the shitty little things that have wormed their way into the game and we all just turn a blind eye to.  I'm sure this wasnt done on the Commish's whim but is a concious choice to try and differentiate our league from others.  New league, no history so lets try and change some things we all dont like.  This doesnt mean the league has to be a hack and foul mess either.  You hand out a couple retroactive yellows every weekend to the worst most blatant offenders and maybe you'll eliminate a % of the baloney.  I really dont think it adds anything to the game, even if some skill players use it to keep defenders off them.  Maybe the refs should call the defenders having 2 fistfuls of jersey now and again to clean that up.  Does anyone complain about the refs spray anymore? its cleaned up the encroachment on free kicks and improved the game.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I applaud any attempt by CPL to curtail, time wasting, embelishment, diving, clutching and grabbing etc, all the ****** little things that have wormed their way into the game and we all just turn a blind eye to.  I'm sure this wasnt done on the Commish's whim but is a concious choice to try and differentiate our league from others.  New league, no history so lets try and change some things we all dont like.  This doesnt mean the league has to be a hack and foul mess either.  You hand out a couple retroactive yellows every weekend to the worst most blatant offenders and maybe you'll eliminate a % of the baloney.  I really dont think it adds anything to the game, even if some skill players use it to keep defenders off them.  Maybe the refs should call the defenders having 2 fistfuls of jersey now and again to clean that up.  Does anyone complain about the refs spray anymore? its cleaned up the encroachment on free kicks and improved the game.  

A suggestion I've heard is that for injuries, just stop the clock.  Player can then stay down as long as he wants, it's not going to impact the length of the game.  There's no need for an official to make a judgement call if it was a dive or not (beyond the usual judgement).  I believe rugby does this.  I'm a big fan of how rugby handles a few things (their version of VAR, though not perfect, does seem much better).

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

A suggestion I've heard is that for injuries, just stop the clock.  Player can then stay down as long as he wants, it's not going to impact the length of the game.  There's no need for an official to make a judgement call if it was a dive or not (beyond the usual judgement).  I believe rugby does this.  I'm a big fan of how rugby handles a few things (their version of VAR, though not perfect, does seem much better).

The player still gets his team a timeout and a breather to break momentum.  The ref doesnt need to make a judgement call, but the league can act after the game to punish the most blatant examples..and we all know the ones I mean.  He rolls around like he has is leg cut off, falls off the stretcher then 3min later is jumping up and down screaming to get back into the game. 

Kurt Larson seems to be falling out with CanPL twitter by expressing the opinion that MLS teams are unlikely to lose over two legs to CanPL opposition any time soon.

Suspect he's right because the MLS teams won't take them so lightly in future after the Whitecaps and Impact found out that the quality of teams like the Cavalry and Y9 is definitely fully professional, but time will tell.

Suspect he's also doing this because it's difficult to keep people talking about the league in the absence of a tournament announcement and there's only so many zoom interviews people will watch before it starts to get old.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I applaud any attempt by CPL to curtail, time wasting, embelishment, diving, clutching and grabbing etc, all the ****** little things that have wormed their way into the game and we all just turn a blind eye to.  I'm sure this wasnt done on the Commish's whim but is a concious choice to try and differentiate our league from others.  New league, no history so lets try and change some things we all dont like.  This doesnt mean the league has to be a hack and foul mess either.  You hand out a couple retroactive yellows every weekend to the worst most blatant offenders and maybe you'll eliminate a % of the baloney.  I really dont think it adds anything to the game, even if some skill players use it to keep defenders off them.  Maybe the refs should call the defenders having 2 fistfuls of jersey now and again to clean that up.  Does anyone complain about the refs spray anymore? its cleaned up the encroachment on free kicks and improved the game.  

I'm all with the anti-diving/simulation/embellishment push as long as your important caveat is observed. In 2019, the flow of too many games was decided by the more physical team daring the often-inexperienced referee to put his or her stamp on the game early, and was a competitive edge to the teams that had the rosters and willingness to be physical beyond the confines of the rules.

If Larson wants to keep people talking about CPL and is using MLS as a guide he could just start the endless "Vardy to Y9??", Balotelli to Halifax??", Can Buffon backstop Valour to victory" type speculation articles that pop on the MLS site.  As for MLS sides losing..they shouldnt, but thats why they play the games eh?  Team in turmoil, bring weak shit to a CPL side and voila, better luck next year.  

6 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Hey, grow up.

This isn’t some SJW reddit group or Twitter. I don’t give a **** about your politics.

You didn’t ‘hurt my feelings’, I’m just sick of petulant sanctimonious hypocrites like you shoving their stupid, unoriginal, politics in everyone’s face; I don’t want to read what your professors or your favourite cable news host said to you. Especially not on a soccer forum. If you’re too immature to understand that there’s a time and place, then you’re the problem. 

I don't remember mentioning anything about politics just the same as SpursFlu didn't. He just spouted out some very fucked up views that I disagree with and provided my rebuttal. You didn't have any issues with what he said and yet you took me to task even though neither of our commentaries were political in nature. So why get so butthurt  unless you're as much of a douchebag as he is because you share his views. In that case..you are the problem but you're too immature to understand that. Enjoy the rest of your weekend 🤣🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, longlugan said:

I don't remember mentioning anything about politics just the same as SpursFlu didn't. He just spouted out some very ****** up views that I disagree with and provided my rebuttal. You didn't have any issues with what he said and yet you took me to task even though neither of our commentaries were political in nature. So why get so butthurt  unless you're as much of a douchebag as he is because you share his views. In that case..you are the problem but you're too immature to understand that. Enjoy the rest of your weekend 🤣🤣🤣

How do you know if I disagree or agree with him? 

You insinuated 1) that Americans are stupid, 2) that you hoped he received ‘karma’ which I take to mean that you hope he gets ill, and 3) you started blathering about orange man bad. 

Now you’re making assumptions about what I believe. 

If you’re at all interested in being honest, challenge your own assumptions sometime. Otherwise, carry on being predictable, infantile, and unoriginal. 

6 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

You insinuated 1) that Americans are stupid, 2) that you hoped he received ‘karma’ which I take to mean that you hope he gets ill, and 3) you started blathering about orange man bad. 

If you’re at all interested in being honest, challenge your own assumptions sometime. Otherwise, carry on being predictable, infantile, and unoriginal. 

It's quite apparent that you have difficulties with reading comprehension so I won't bother making a point by point rebuttal because it would go over your head anyways. So I'll end the conversation now because you are actually right about one thing...this isn't the place for it and I don't want to hijack this thread any further. Have a nice night.

12 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

if you’re at all interested in being honest, challenge your own assumptions sometime. Otherwise, carry on being predictable, infantile, and unoriginal. 

Well the original post said people are all listening to morons with agendas, that that we needed to get outside and back to reality. So basically he is saying we are stupid (maybe you as well Ams), its no big deal and its mainly your mom and dad (old people, again maybe even you Ams) that will die of this and we should relax.  And you had no problem with that............................. 

But you jumped on LongLuan pretty quick when he said something.   so to quote someone I heard one time....."If you’re at all interested in being honest, challenge your own assumptions sometime. Otherwise, carry on being predictable, infantile, and unoriginal."

I'm playing @Ams1984's card in Right Wing Bullshit Bingo.

I've already got SJW, vilification of higher education, and 'Orange man bad'. Can I check off Lamestream Media if he doesn't actually utter the phrase, though? I'm going to go ahead and do it and leave it for the judges afterwards. Now, I just need 'Venezuela!' for the win. 

Boy, this is fun. 🙄

41 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm playing @Ams1984's card in Right Wing ******** Bingo.

I've already got SJW, vilification of higher education, and 'Orange man bad'. Can I check off Lamestream Media if he doesn't actually utter the phrase, though? I'm going to go ahead and do it and leave it for the judges afterwards. Now, I just need 'Venezuela!' for the win. 

Boy, this is fun. 🙄

I’m flattered that I have a ‘card’. 

Assume whatever you’d like about my politics, but you’ll notice that I never bring it up first. This time, I responded to a string of partisan childish (and alarmingly immoral - wishing physical harm ‘Karma’ on someone) attacks on another poster. 

There were a million other ways to critically respond to sportsflu’s post, but I took issue with the reflexive personal attack. I don’t actually agree with him (completely anyways) but I’m against the silly and ad hominem nature of some of the comments against him. Criticize his statement. There’s no need to shit on Americans, insult a politician who had nothing to do with the present comment being rebutted, and wish him ‘karma’.