CPL General

Think the reality is that CanPL already has enough on its plate getting the men's side going. If crowds had been solidly in the 6000-8000 range coast-to-coast in year one as initially envisaged then the CanPL investors and Mediapro would probably be all over the domestic women's league concept. They weren't so they're not.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

To be fair, the virus doesn't care how much you want to go a soccer game either.  And it doesn't make the comparison between protests over police brutality and "I'm bored, let me go to a soccer game" any less tacky.

You know... it’s not tacky just because you sanctimoniously pronounce it to be. Who gets to decide what’s worthwhile? You? Please, let me know when it’s okay to break the rules, you seem to get to decide. I’m not going to get into the politics of the protests/riots here, but even if you think that the protests are the greatest thing since sliced bread, that’s your opinion. I guess the rules only apply when you think they should. Everyone else who wants to disobey them must be a tacky asshole, how can they possibly know what’s right like you do? 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

You know... it’s not tacky just because you sanctimoniously pronounce it to be. Who gets to decide what’s worthwhile? You? Please, let me know when it’s okay to break the rules, you seem to get to decide. I’m not going to get into the politics of the protests/riots here, but even if you think that the protests are the greatest thing since sliced bread, that’s your opinion. I guess the rules only apply when you think they should. Everyone else who wants to disobey them must be a tacky *******, how can they possibly know what’s right like you do? 

I'll confess, I didn't think "comparing protests over black people being murdered to a soccer stadium being reopened" was going to be a contentious issue, but here we are.

Forget the protests.

Evidence,  from many sources, shows that outdoor transmission is very low.

That, along with everything else reopening, is enough to think that is a reasonable way to have fans in stadiums this year. 

Might be with low capacity, might be with mandatory masks, might be some other compromises. But it should be able to happen.

Just now, Tigers said:

Forget the protests.

Evidence,  from many sources, shows that outdoor transmission is very low.

That, along with everything else reopening, is enough to think that is a reasonable way to have fans in stadiums this year. 

Might be with low capacity, might be with mandatory masks, might be some other compromises. But it should be able to happen.

This is a better way to phrase that discussion, and all I was really getting at.  I may still have concerns with stadium reopenings, but I'll listen to the argument.

Why walk outside and live in reality? I'll just listen to morons on Twitter parroting nonsense from talking heads and morons with an agenda. It's one event after another for the past several months where apparently those idiots are all gonna die or a bunch of people are gonna die. Magically nothing happens. Why? Just use your brain for a second. Back when everyone was obsessed with Kobe Bryant falling out of the sky we were all eating coronavirus for breakfast. That's it that's all just another thing that kills sick and old people. Move on and deal with and please everyone stop with nonsense 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Why walk outside and live in reality? I'll just listen to morons on Twitter parroting nonsense from talking heads and morons with an agenda. It's one event after another for the past several months where apparently those idiots are all gonna die or a bunch of people are gonna die. Magically nothing happens. Why? Just use your brain for a second. Back when everyone was obsessed with Kobe Bryant falling out of the sky we were all eating coronavirus for breakfast. That's it that's all just another thing that kills sick and old people. Move on and deal with and please everyone stop with nonsense 

Hot take alert.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I’m curious why you think there’s been such a massive global response if the virus is not a threat?

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I mean, this seems kind of anecdotal to your specific region and experience.  Since a number of the Southern states listened to your "don't worry about it" advice and are now on upward trajectories of daily cases and deaths.  As well, they're now finding that it's hitting the under-40 group much more, not just the "sick and old".  Further, the long term consequences of contracting it are obviously unknown.  That's me listening to the healthcare experts, not Twitter.

Something the league needs to think about in marketing terms. Soccer represents a different Canada than the one that gets portrayed in Tim Horton's commercials:

One in which an imaginary issue with diving doesn't need to be eliminated to make the sport popular because it already is the world's greatest sport just the way it is right now. Worry about who does love the sport first before worrying about the perceptions of rednecks who hate it.

Beyond that a questionable flag selection for Milan Borjan...

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Something the league needs to think about in marketing terms. Soccer represents a different Canada than the one that gets portrayed in Tim Horton's commercials:

One in which an imaginary issue with diving doesn't need to be eliminated to make the sport popular because it already is the world's greatest sport just the way it is right now. Worry about who does love the sport first before worrying about the perceptions of rednecks who hate it.

Wikipedia is telling me that although Milan’s parents are Serbian, he was born in Croatia. Would he have qualified for either nation perhaps?

Edited by Kent

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Greatest sport on earth does not equal perfect sport.  Every sport evolves with time and needs to be tweaked here and there.  Classic CONCACAF time-wasting and fake injuries for example can sometimes turn the last 10 to 15 minutes of a game into a farce.  In those cases referees need to keep adding time, in fact err on adding more time than the injuries waste.

And to call something an imaginary issue when most of the passionate soccer fans I know want diving curtailed takes quite the impressive leap in logic.

You seem to imply that those of us who despise diving in the game feel that way because we are worried about casual fans.  In fact we are just soccer fans for whom it sometimes takes away significantly from our enjoyment of the sport.  

The CanPL went overboard on allowing a rougher game, directing their referees in such a way to in many cases ignore clear foul calls.  I agree they went too far (though skill players like Borges were still able to flourish, and fans in my area of Tim Hortons Field loved the hard tackling except in those clear cases where fouls were just blatantly ignored).  Probably they will reel things back this year to find the right balance of physicality with protection of skill players.

The way to cut out diving is not to ignore fouls but to more consistently hand out yellow cards for diving, and to allow retroactive cards where the ref is unable to catch diving in the flow of the game.

There will always be players who go down easy to make a point to the ref they are being manhandled.  Within reason this can allow skill players more space to display those skills.   But players trying to bait referees to get solid defenders sent off should be punished severely.  

5 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

The way to cut out diving is not to ignore fouls but to more consistently hand out yellow cards for diving, and to allow retroactive cards where the ref is unable to catch diving in the flow of the game.

It’s more than that. I think they also need to be more willing to call fouls where the fouled player doesn’t go to ground, and giving out yellow cards after advantage has been played. The fact these things are so rare kind of forces the hand of players to go down easy.

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

Wikipedia is telling me that although Milan’s parents are Serbian, he was born in Croatia. Would he have qualified for either nation perhaps?

He was a refugee in Belgrade before moving to Canada after things went south in a big way for a failed ethnic Serb breakaway state in the part of Croatia where he was born. Not sure the move to Canada would have happened if his family had obtained Serbian citizenship, but probably wouldn't have been mission impossible for them to do so eventually.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Greatest sport on earth does not equal perfect sport.  Every sport evolves with time and needs to be tweaked here and there...  

...and that's something that happens in soccer at the FIFA level through the International Football Association Board and not something that gets done on a whim by a former Tim Horton's exec who didn't seem to grasp that refereeing is a CSA issue and nothing to do with the league.

Beyond that there are already lots of soccer fans in Canadian cities so there is no need to change the sport to be able to draw a crowd. It took MLS a few years to realize that soccer fans have no problem whatsoever accepting a 1-1 draw as the outcome, so there was no need for the weird and wacky shootouts at the end of games that were making them look bush league to what should have been their core fan base.

Maybe that sort of thing and weird team names like Wiz and Burn or Valour and 9 are just part of the growing pains you have to go through.

20 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The saddest thing about your take on this is that a douchebag like yourself will probably remain unaffected but I still have faith in Karma. In the meantime why don't you think about moving to the US so you can surround yourself with likeminded intellectuals and fellow Trumpians...might I suggest Florida as a destination...I hear the weather is awesome and the Covid virus hasn't affected life there in the least bit.

3 minutes ago, longlugan said:

The saddest thing about your take on this is that a douchebag like yourself will probably remain unaffected but I still have faith in Karma. In the meantime why don't you think about moving to the US so you can surround yourself with likeminded intellectuals and fellow Trumpians...might I suggest Florida as a destination...I hear the weather is awesome and the Covid virus hasn't affected life there in the least bit.

What a stupid comment. 

Keep your politics and your anti American bigotry to yourself. 

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

What a stupid comment. 

Keep your politics and your anti American bigotry to yourself. 

Lmao I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Btw being anti-Trump is actually being pro-American...or have you had your head in the sand so long you don't know what's going on down there? Denial is not just a river in Egypt cupcake.

10 minutes ago, longlugan said:

Lmao I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Btw being anti-Trump is actually being pro-American...or have you had your head in the sand so long you don't know what's going on down there? Denial is not just a river in Egypt cupcake.

Hey, grow up.

This isn’t some SJW reddit group or Twitter. I don’t give a shit about your politics.

You didn’t ‘hurt my feelings’, I’m just sick of petulant sanctimonious hypocrites like you shoving their stupid, unoriginal, politics in everyone’s face; I don’t want to read what your professors or your favourite cable news host said to you. Especially not on a soccer forum. If you’re too immature to understand that there’s a time and place, then you’re the problem.