CPL General

I don't think they should accept it either. I also dont think they should be forced to shove their players in to welfare. I dont think a lot of people, businesses should be accepting a lot of what's going on right now but of course some should. So that's a whole other topic. I think CPL should be back playing. Making money where they can and building awareness for the league. It's kinda simple in my books

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think CPL should be back playing. Making money where they can and building awareness for the league. It's kinda simple in my books

Well, it's illegal right now. If they tried they would be met with outrage and condemnation. Doing lasting and permanent damage to their reputation and all the work they are doing to build a long-term trusted reputation in the community.

1 hour ago, CanSuffer said:

Well, it's illegal right now. If they tried they would be met with outrage and condemnation. Doing lasting and permanent damage to their reputation and all the work they are doing to build a long-term trusted reputation in the community.

Who said right now? Did someone say right now? Unless there is a different definition of right now than I am aware of. I would like to know where anyone suggested that we play a soccer game on Saturday April 25th

I think it shows how difficult rational conversations has become when there doesn't even seem to be a consensus on what the definition of "right now" is

Edited by SpursFlu

Much of the world is now either coming out of lockdown mode in phases or anticipating and planning for it in the near future. Countries have realized they can't stay in lockdown for too long and need to open things up again in an organized and planned way when the risk is deemed acceptable.

As Bundesliga and UFC prepare to return May 9th, other sports will follow but will be interesting to see if CPL does so without fans or waits till at least restricted fan attendance is allowed which may or may not come this year.

Clearly there has to be timelines. I've posted a million things so I know its a lot to keep up with. Unfortunately 2 months ago Canada was given a surprise shit sandwich so I'm not saying anything negative about what has been done up to now. But everyday we learn more and more about what we're dealing with and I know some people's reality is different than others in this country. But we need to have an adult conversation based on facts and science. We need to direct our resources and focus in the right direction. Not on fear and ideology and this polarized political discourse that's been shoved on to us. I dont need to be spoken to like a child. I'm not scared and I understand how germs operate. I'm very concerned with the mental health of our citizens and the overall well being of Canadians. Playing soccer may seem like a trivial thing but it's part of a bigger picture that we need to value and start working towards

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Much of the world is now either coming out of lockdown mode in phases or anticipating and planning for it in the near future. Countries have realized they can't stay in lockdown for too long and need to open things up again in an organized and planned way when the risk is deemed acceptable.

As Bundesliga and UFC prepare to return May 9th, other sports will follow but will be interesting to see if CPL does so without fans or waits till at least restricted fan attendance is allowed which may or may not come this year.

I am very much against mass testing being used for the purpose of letting pro athletes play games when we still have shortages throughout the world. No one like this should be jumping the cue for such a trivial reason. As much as I love sports and footy, being a TFC season seat holder trying to play games at this point is something I am not a fan of. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

I am very much against mass testing being used for the purpose of letting pro athletes play games when we still have shortages throughout the world. No one like this should be jumping the cue for such a trivial reason. As much as I love sports and footy, being a TFC season seat holder trying to play games at this point is something I am not a fan of. 

If it helps people cope with the lockdown and keeps them at home than I wouldn’t necessarily consider it trivial. I know I could use a distraction 

Edited by Aird25

10 hours ago, Lofty said:

Another point to consider is that the current "lockdown" is destroying our economy, and entertainment is part of that economy. That will result in many lives being lost through peripheral effects, not to mention many people being thrown into lives of poverty and distress.

There do not appear to be any easy answers but at some point the "lockdown" "cure" will become worse than the disease. And that point is rapidly approaching.

Just as long as you're not the one doing the dying.

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Dying from the Chinese virus or dying from unintended consequences of the lockdown? Because the latter will eventually surpass the former.

Your argument could be applied to many aspects of modern life. For example, many people die each year in automobile accidents. So we should ban all vehicles, right? Well no, because that would have a devastating effect on our way of life.

"Just as long as you're not the one doing the dying". 

I have to say, at first I was willing to go along with the lockdown because it seemed prudent at the time given what we knew (or at least what we feared might be the case) then. 

Now though, we’ve seen that yes, this virus is serious, but perhaps not quite as serious as we feared it might be. I say this because the number of presumptive cases vs the number of hospitalization and deaths suggests that the mortality rate is far lower than the 1-6% that was first believed to be the case. 

We’ve also seen that people’s livelihoods and businesses are being destroyed due to the lockdown. The way I see it, we were right to exercise extreme caution at first. We bought the medical system time to gear up and react. That said, the goal cannot be to lockdown until there is no virus, that is simply irrational and overly destructive to our way of life. 

I also feel that it is crass and completely insensitive that some people are trivializing the very real and serious economic consequences of this lockdown. Of course human life is priceless, and protecting it matters, but it is right and perfectly valid for people to question the rationale of what we do going forward given all of the above. 

Sometimes there is no silver bullet, no good choice. I hate to see people sick and dying, and I also hate to see lives being destroyed by the lockdown. There is nothing wrong with considering both. 

Edited by Ams1984

15 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Now though, we’ve seen that yes, this virus is serious, but perhaps not quite as serious as we feared it might be. I say this because the number of presumptive cases vs the number of hospitalization and deaths suggests that the mortality rate is far lower than the 1-6% that was first believed to be the case.

Really? I have friends in the WHO and NHS and this is not what I’m hearing

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Banned or deleted his post because it was legit embarassing?

What's embarrassing is the state of this forum and some of the moderators.  

If Lofty hurt someones tender feelings, did they ask him to amend his post ?  Or did they just decide to arbitrarily ban a long time senior member of the Voyageurs who has been in good standing for years, because they did not like his post  ?

No idea what is anything happened to him, but "longstandingness" is not a free pass for idiocy. Calling something the Chinese virus? Equating deaths from a virus to those (which? any?) from being home?  Comparing the virus to cars? It's almost like he's trying too hard to be a moron. Hopefully he's calming down and smartening up.

3 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

No idea what is anything happened to him, but "longstandingness" is not a free pass for idiocy. Calling something the Chinese virus? Equating deaths from a virus to those (which? any?) from being home?  Comparing the virus to cars? It's almost like he's trying too hard to be a moron. Hopefully he's calming down and smartening up.

Actually, I do expect senior members to be treated with respect.  

You don't agree with his take on the response to Covid-19, so you call his remarks 'idiocy,'  and he's banned !  Who needs to calm down ??  

'Comparing the virus to cars.'  He was articulately discussing an analogy of fatalities.  Are you too stupid to recognize the difference ?  

If a senior member of this forum has said something out of line, yes, I expect them to be contacted by the mods and have them amend their comment, prior to having them banned.    

I don't agree with his preferences, no.  That's not what makes his post idiotic.

He was neither articulate nor accurate. The analogy to car fatalities has been debunked thoroughly. Yet he continues to post something that either shows his accidental (or, more likely, willing) ignorance. That's idiocy.

But let's get honest here, you know full well what was in there that might have gotten him in trouble. Funny you don't mention it. He's likely been banned for using racist language. If that's the case, good for them.

Smoky is free to go outside and say whatever he wants. This isn't outside. This is a private club. Run and paid for privately. If I ran or paid for this place, I wouldn't want that crap on my site either.

Don't like it? Start another board. Take over this one. Or go outside and start talking about the Chinese virus. Let's see how far he gets.

3 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Banned or deleted his post because it was legit embarassing?

All his posts seem to be gone. The virus has officially been called COVID19 and Lofty choosing not to use that name is what can be viewed as problematic. Donald Trump has dropped that alternative terminology now as far as I am aware and he was getting plenty of well-reported criticism when he was doing it, so anybody using it now is probably well aware that it causes a lot of offence in some quarters. It is unlikely to have been done naively.

Its really nice to see some rational discourse start to back from some. Dropping my daughter off this morning the daycare opened up to me about some of the feedback she's getting from a group of parents. It was frightening to think that there are people in my community in this frame of mind. The media and elected officials need to start showing a bit more courage in relaying the facts to the public. I know its difficult and we dont want to come across unsympathetic but people need to understand the reality 

Opinions are opinions, and as much as I dont like getting called an idiot, stupid or ignorant etc are we really banning people for that kind of stuff??  Maybe I missed any racist stuff, but it all looked like the usual back and forth we see every day.  

As for the auto fatalities argument......sure people are killed every year, but dont we have about a million rules and regulations, fines and penalties to govern the use of cars??  The goverment regulates that heavily to try and minimize the fatalities from accidents.  Thats what they are trying to do, minimize the problem so the system can handle it.  Pros and cons, risk vs reward eh?  Right now I have about half my immediate family out of work and the other half complaining about going to work and being potentially exposed.  Whats the right answer, cant we all be adults if we discuss this??  Personally it'll be awhile before I get stuck shoulder to shoulder with 6000 other fans at Investors group field.  But if they can do it safely, I would love the season to start and watch from home.  

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Really? I have friends in the WHO and NHS and this is not what I’m hearing

There doesn’t seem to be much agreement about the actual number of cases (not just confirmed cases) because it’s obviously hard to tell how many asymptomatic cases there have been, but the data suggests that there are multiples more actual cases than there are confirmed cases. Logically, this fact means that the mortality rate is lower than first feared. 

A few of the studies on asymptomatic cases are summarized by NBC below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1187681

Edited by Ams1984
Iphones

19 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

There doesn’t seem to be much agreement about the actual number of cases (not just confirmed cases) because it’s obviously hard to tell how many asymptomatic cases there have been, but the data suggests that there are multiples more actual cases than there are confirmed cases. Logically, this fact means that the mortality rate is lower than first feared. 

A few of the studies on asymptomatic cases are summarized by NBC below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1187681

And demographics. 96% of deaths in Ontario are over the age of 60. A majority of those are men. So that's important information we now know in order to focus our time and resources 

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Actually, I do expect senior members to be treated with respect.  

You don't agree with his take on the response to Covid-19, so you call his remarks 'idiocy,'  and he's banned !  Who needs to calm down ??  

'Comparing the virus to cars.'  He was articulately discussing an analogy of fatalities.  Are you too stupid to recognize the difference ?  

If a senior member of this forum has said something out of line, yes, I expect them to be contacted by the mods and have them amend their comment, prior to having them banned.    

That is not how it works on the board. Seniority, having organised Voyageur events, travelling abroad, organising Voyageur petitions, 20 years of this, was not enough. I was banned from mid-September to December because I complained that the image of all white male fans was not something we should aspire to in Canada. And Rintaran, who is way over his head, just threw away the key. He basically abetted the racists on the board and I had no recourse. In fact, I was warned for my post, which the racial supremacists complained about, and then when I complained in a PM to Rintaran, he straight out banned me. For a private message. 

The board has dubious value, especially as it sits under the current management. What they did to me was disgusting. And not a single person here came to my support by the way (many of whom I know personally and have been in stands chanting with) which shows the quality of the community we have created. 

As for Lofty, he was rather caveman and knee-jerk, but as with even the posters who I dislike, or have blocked (and he was not one of them), the vast majority post 90% stuff that is fair game for a message board of this nature. Nothing great, but staple message board stuff. I say, if you are irked by someone, just block them. You can always peek at what they say if you are curious, and half the time you will see their worthwhile posts quoted by others. 

That said: if Lofty made a legit racist post, he can go screw himself.  And he was legit racist as well as sexist,, so I would not put it past him.