CPL General

The public being whipped in to such a fear frenzy suspending any room for rational thoughts or decision making? I don't know.. I cant see that being possible 

But yes that's the study. I also have a family member in another country who got a surprise phone call last week. Apparently when she went in to a private medical facility in January for the flu and sent home. Because of the rumours the facility was collecting DNA at the time. They're now calling people to let them know that they've tested their DNA from that time and giving them an updated diagnosis. So yes, what feels like years has only been weeks and our medical professionals are starting to get a true picture of what we're really dealing with

Edited by SpursFlu

Forget what you think about it happening and when but I put this question out there

Clearly the CPL is in a position to start up faster than the other major sports in Canada and North America for that matter(nhl, cfl, nfl, mls, mlb, nba). Timing, logistics, etc etc

With that being said and forget how you feel. Clearly this would bring a lot of attention to the CPL. Does anyone forsee let's call "political corporate" pressure to restrict the CPL from starting first so it would gain such notoriety and attention and reserve that "opportunity" for one of the more traditional, wealthy, influential sport leagues(properties)

In other words.. how would MLSE feel and wrangle behind the scenes to stop the CPL from grabbing all that spotlight as they're forced to sit on the sidelines. As an example 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Forget what you think about it happening and when but I put this question out there

Clearly the CPL is in a position to start up faster than the other major sports in Canada and North America for that matter(nhl, cfl, nfl, mls, mlb, nba). Timing, logistics, etc etc

With that being said and forget how you feel. Clearly this would bring a lot of attention to the CPL. Does anyone forsee let's call "political corporate" pressure to restrict the CPL from starting first so it would gain such notoriety and attention and reserve that "opportunity" for one of the more traditional, wealthy, influential sport leagues(properties)

In other words.. how would MLSE feel and wrangle behind the scenes to stop the CPL from grabbing all that spotlight as they're forced to sit on the sidelines. As an example 

I don’t see that happening, but I do see CPL potentially waiting for someone else to be first so that they aren’t seen as being reckless. Kind of the same effect as when the NBA postponed their season. All of a sudden EVERYTHING was stopping. If CPL starts first they run the risk of being called a bunch of amateurs that don’t know what they are doing. If an older and more respected league like the NBA, or MLB, etc start first then that will be a signal to the public that it is OK to start.

But I do hope CPL starts first, provided there is no backlash in terms of public opinion or a return of the virus.

55 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don’t see that happening, but I do see CPL potentially waiting for someone else to be first so that they aren’t seen as being reckless. Kind of the same effect as when the NBA postponed their season. All of a sudden EVERYTHING was stopping. If CPL starts first they run the risk of being called a bunch of amateurs that don’t know what they are doing. If an older and more respected league like the NBA, or MLB, etc start first then that will be a signal to the public that it is OK to start.

But I do hope CPL starts first, provided there is no backlash in terms of public opinion or a return of the virus.

UEFA has told Euro FAs to do what they want but it needs to wrapped by July. UEFA is planning a "Football Festival" in August to wrap up Champions and Europa leagues. I know france is planning on starting their season I think at the start of June. I cant speak for Ontario and Quebec but Western Canada is bigger than Europe and the situation in nowhere near what they went thru in France. If CPL followed a similar timeline they wouldn't be considered reckless and would easily be the first in Canada to start 

And I think TSN will do exactly what Kent suggests. TSN wont cover it like they would cover the NHL or MLS returning. I also expect TSN to be very critical of the decision and shit on it whenever possible 

Edited by SpursFlu

I wonder how viable it would be for the CPL to start closed doors. In many ways, it would be out of sight, out of mind to most in this country. Would corporate partners be interesting in in. Thats going to be a big question for of leagues, with the way the economy is going will companies be as enthusiastic on sports out of the gate. Will their focus be on bigger things. Also if its closed door the lack of engagement with the fan base will limit opportunities for partners. Lots of moving parts here with the big question being testing and safety in general. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

UEFA has told Euro FAs to do what they want but it needs to wrapped by July. UEFA is planning a "Football Festival" in August to wrap up Champions and Europa leagues. I know france is planning on starting their season I think at the start of June. I cant speak for Ontario and Quebec but Western Canada is bigger than Europe and the situation in nowhere near what they went thru in France. If CPL followed a similar timeline they wouldn't be considered reckless and would easily be the first in Canada to start 

And I think TSN will do exactly what Kent suggests. TSN wont cover it like they would cover the NHL or MLS returning. I also expect TSN to be very critical of the decision and **** on it whenever possible 

Western Canada is bigger physically and much, much, much smaller by population.  The two aren't comparable.  And which ever league returns first is going to be under immense scrutiny.  If they're the first to have a player/manager/trainer/official come down with Covid-19 (and let's face it, someone in sports will come down with it) they'll 100% be called reckless for having returned too soon.  The big and established leagues can absorb that.  A start up league like the CPL can't.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, Ansem said:
I broke it down for you guys ***
CPL Commissioner Clanachan interview 
CPL working on different scenarios and schedules to restart the league
  • Single table allows for more flexibility. Ultimately have to follow governments guidelines.
  • Not a fan of playing in pty stadiums and hard to pull off economically but didn't close the door on that option

But having said that, I'll go with what the commissioner has said: it would be difficulty to pull off economically.  Let's face it, they're still heavily reliant on ticket sales.  Empty stands doesn't help them at all, and they might be better off economically to wait and run a much shorter season (with smaller loses) rather than rushing to return first.

27 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Western Canada is bigger physically and much, much, much smaller by population.  The two aren't comparable.  And which ever league returns first is going to be under immense scrutiny.  If they're the first to have a player/manager/trainer/official come down with Covid-19 (and let's face it, someone in sports will come down with it) they'll 100% be called reckless for having returned too soon.  The big and established leagues can absorb that.  A start up league like the CPL can't.

But having said that, I'll go with what the commissioner has said: it would be difficulty to pull off economically.  Let's face it, they're still heavily reliant on ticket sales.  Empty stands doesn't help them at all, and they might be better off economically to wait and run a much shorter season (with smaller loses) rather than rushing to return first.

That's why I believe Voyageurs Cup should be played before the CPL. It would also make it tougher to tar and feather the cpl

I'm going the opposite direction.  I'll be shocked if there isn't a shortened season, July onward.  Home and away or something like that, 14 matches. 

Americans may be dying by the 10s of thousands but I just can't see this whole exercise holding together for month after month after month.  The discipline that makes all this work is going to evaporate as soon as the 1st cracks start to open up and let all the steam out.  

We'll see of course, things can change fast.  Couple of very large American states are going to use their populations as lab rats.  The results of which, sadly, might just be the mediine needed to firm up any wavering in some peoples conviction.   

You’d have to think that sports networks, airlines, hotels etc that are starved for business and bleeding money might be willing to promote any league that can get underway. The only way I see it working is if there’s money backing it in addition to OneSoccer. It could be an opportunity for the league to build relationships 

Maybe something in September - October? I feel like the CPL more than other leagues, owing to be just in its second season, really needs to play some sort of season. 

Plus, if possible, I like the idea of a very active off-season, maybe playing tournaments abroad wherever possible.

My kids are back in day care. Out yesterday walking around with the family, like everyday for the past 3 weeks, lots of people just doing their thing. Was back in my local coffee shop last week to grab my americano each morning. Was back out dealing with customers who were happy to meet with me. There are of course people peeping out their blinds angry but speaking with neighbors this is kinda the energy out here. I cant see why uneducated, fear mongers, worlds away can stop people from responsibility carrying on with their lives in a healthy way. That's the view from where I'm standing 

The unemployment line is already way past capacity. Why are we trying to add soccer players to the list?

Edited by SpursFlu

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

My kids are back in day care. Out yesterday walking around with the family, like everyday for the past 3 weeks, lots of people just doing their thing. Was back in my local coffee shop last week to grab my americano each morning. Was back out dealing with customers who were happy to meet with me. There are of course people peeping out their blinds angry but speaking with neighbors this is kinda the energy out here. I cant see why uneducated, fear mongers, worlds away can stop people from responsibility carrying on with their lives in a healthy way. That's the view from where I'm standing 

The unemployment line is already way past capacity. Why are we trying to add soccer players to the list?

Gonna be a while until we have daycare, coffee shops, restaurants, heck, even parks and golf courses available in Ontario.  I would say after Victoria day weekend at the earliest.  

18 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Gonna be a while until we have daycare, coffee shops, restaurants, heck, even parks and golf courses available in Ontario.  I would say after Victoria day weekend at the earliest.  

Yah there is a misconception. BC was never in a lockdown. Because of the social shaming going on you really need to read between the lines with what the officials are saying but if you actually look in to it there is a lot you can do and things are just getting better. My mom golfed twice last week for instance. Also in the last couple weeks new research has come out to help better guide our public policies. So I cant see why the recent be soccer games played in British Columbia over the next couple months

Edited by SpursFlu

Thats nice that wherever you are is doing ok, but AB, ON and Quebec are at or close to their highest levels for new infections right now.  And thats with strict distancing and business shutdowns.  5/8 of the league are in those provinces, its very short sighted to look at that and think that its not coming to your neighborhood.  Thats what Italy/Spain said when china was peaking, USA said that when Italy was peaking, now we are saying the same thing watching the USA suffering.  Whats the sense of opening prematurely and having 1 person one 1 club test postive and several teams have to go into lockdown?? Boom season is shut down just like that.   

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah there is a misconception. BC was never in a lockdown. Because of the social shaming going on you really need to read between the lines with what the officials are saying but if you actually look in to it there is a lot you can do and things are just getting better. My mom golfed twice last week for instance. Also in the last couple weeks new research has come out to help better guide our public policies. So I cant see why the recent be soccer games played in British Columbia over the next couple months

Yup, big misconception.  You can look all you want in Ontario and there is nothing you can do aside from going for walks on your own, or with someone from your own household.  I'm sure people are getting together somewhere but you risk get caught and fined.  Crazy here, but the numbers don't seem to be improving.

Yah its different for sure but just for clarity no league I've seen plans on playing with fans or in their home venues. I would think like other soccer and sport leagues, the CPL would look to split the teams in to groups and send them to neutral sites where they can play out a series of games. As far as sponsorship and advertising is concerned. How about the handful of companies that have made a fortune over past couple months. How about that arts and sports grant. Put that money in to Health Canada PAs. I personally would support any company putting money in to getting something like the CPL back up and running.

49 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thats nice that wherever you are is doing ok, but AB, ON and Quebec are at or close to their highest levels for new infections right now.  And thats with strict distancing and business shutdowns.  5/8 of the league are in those provinces, its very short sighted to look at that and think that its not coming to your neighborhood.  Thats what Italy/Spain said when china was peaking, USA said that when Italy was peaking, now we are saying the same thing watching the USA suffering.  Whats the sense of opening prematurely and having 1 person one 1 club test postive and several teams have to go into lockdown?? Boom season is shut down just like that.   

We're not doing anything different. In fact we're doing less. Just the benefits of our lifestyle and getting the virus in December from Wuhan as apposed to in February from Europe. Or from BC, sorry guys I travelled to Ontario very sick at the end January. Didn't know I was a super spreader at the time. I would have stayed home if I had known 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah its different for sure but just for clarity no league I've seen plans on playing with fans or in their home venues. I would think like other soccer and sport leagues, the CPL would look to split the teams in to groups and send them to neutral sites where they can play out a series of games. As far as sponsorship and advertising is concerned. How about the handful of companies that have made a fortune over past couple months. How about that arts and sports grant. Put that money in to Health Canada PAs. I personally would support any company putting money in to getting something like the CPL back up and running.

I don't think that a handful of company sponsorships are going to make up the difference in lost ticket sales, especially when you've likely got even more sponsorships being lost from larger companies hemorrhaging money.  And it's a bad look for sports teams accessing government money right now.  Not that teams haven't done it, just that they've been heavily criticized for doing so.  Hell, you're a Spurs fan.  You should know.  Went so poorly for them they reversed course.

Edited by Watchmen