CPL General

With 6 CONCACAF League qualifiers to the CCL now I really want 2 CPL teams in the concacaf league.

We can let it slide this year since it’s year one, but looking at Canada’s coefficient if our CPL Rep is competitive there is zero reason that any nation besides the Mexico, USA and maybe Costa Rica deserve more spots between both competitions. 

Thats insane that with one rep for the past 10 years we are second in coefficient behind the nation that has won every year. Meanwhile you have Nicaragua with 2 entries to the concacaf league. 

Earlier I said I would be against both finalists of the voyageurs cup being CCL finalists.. and I still believe that.  But how about the loser going to the concacaf league?  That could be a sneaky backdoor way to ensure we have two teams in the proper competition and if it was a mls team that would certainly get more minutes for young Canadians.  I just feel like MLS would veto that real quick as they always need to be equal to Mexico, despite doing nothing to deserve it. On the other hand it could be an opportunity to have 6 MLS teams vs Mexico’s 4..

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, matty said:

makes sense. also on mobile, did they demote the vcup? i see canada with 2 in preliminary rounds

Don't be confused by Canada 2, it means the 2nd qualifier out of Canada, look at the other countries with more than one rep. 

This sets us up for an amazing situation, where a mid-term leader qualifies for the Concacaf League knock-out round. What a great motivator to go strong out of the blocks.

If we are talking about early July, teams will have played around 8-9 games I figure. Because they'll have to establish a cut-off fixture,  with the uneven schedule. Or base it on the first 6, more balanced if everyone has played everyone (leaving home and away aside). 

2 minutes ago, masster said:

I actually think this change is unwarranted. The CPL doesn't deserve a spot for 2019. I expected one for 2020, based on the results of the 2019 season, but to get a spot in continental competition before the league has even finished 1 season seems extremely generous.

Are you for real?

It's causing no harm to anyone

1 hour ago, masster said:

I actually think this change is unwarranted. The CPL doesn't deserve a spot for 2019. I expected one for 2020, based on the results of the 2019 season, but to get a spot in continental competition before the league has even finished 1 season seems extremely generous.

Why? Isn't the competition crying out for clubs that can afford to compete on a regional scale, and attract sponsorship money. This isn't UEFA

I think it's important to understand that a successful CPL is a positive development for the region as a whole. 

Edited by C2SKI

9 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Considering that these competitions involve 2-match rounds rather than a fully slated 6-game minimum which could turn into 10-12 with the knock-out stages, I think 23 would be enough.

So fingers crossed that we get knocked out early? I just hope there's a mechanism in place to bring players on board if there are injuries or whatnot. 

Edited by C2SKI

58 minutes ago, masster said:

Yes. I'm for real. To award a spot in a continental competition to a team that has not even completed 1 domestic league season, seems undeserved.

And we're going to allow these clubs to play in our premier league without even winning promotion to it. They haven't earned it yet!!

What would you suggest as an appropriate mechanism for earning entrance into the preliminary rounds of Concacaf league?

Edited by C2SKI

3 hours ago, C2SKI said:

And we're going to allow these clubs to play in our premier league without even winning promotion to it. They haven't earned it yet!!

What would you suggest as an appropriate mechanism for earning entrance into the preliminary rounds of Concacaf league?

My suggestion was entry into continental competition in 2020, when a CPL season has been completed and a champion determined.

2 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

Was referring to the ongoing debate regarding Canada's allocation spots to the continental championships - but I am new!

This may come as a shock but we actually knew that Senor!

8 hours ago, masster said:

But let's watch Bill Manning choke on his pizza.

13 hours ago, masster said:

ehhh more a little weird they didn't wait

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:
I'm thinking slowly growing and prepping the club for a Division II entry once the league opens that division?

Kind of putting the cart before the horse isn't it. Also hard to picture Caldwell being that CPL linked given his reaction to when the first game is unless he is just that good an actor.

Considering the discussion of what communities might be Div 2 is essentially restricted to this board (yes, yes I’m aware they’ve discussed pro/rel so not necessary to ‘non-rebut’ that way) I will suggest that the idea that Oakville is thinking of or prepping to enter this fictional Div 2 or that it is likely that they will is rather off. If they are working toward CanPL, it will be the way all the other teams have done it. 

14 hours ago, masster said:

Yes. I'm for real. To award a spot in a continental competition to a team that has not even completed 1 domestic league season, seems undeserved.

I’d agree but with the fact that Canada has been a major player in this tournament since it’s inception despite only having one entry - I think it’s generous in one aspect but also a long time coming in another.  They just needed us to have more teams to warrant it and now we do. 

Honestly looking at the breakdown of the tournament I’d argue the US probably only deserves 3 spots in the main tournament, either that or Mexico gets 5.  It’s a complete joke that there always ends up being more MLS than Mexican teams.  What a crush to the ego that would be if they took one off the Americans.

Edited by Keegan

I'm going to echo what others have said. @Ansem, why would they have to wait for a second division and enter there? Especially if the plan is for pro/rel, then there isn't a clear cut division of teams into D1 and D2, it would be fluid. So they can be D1 until the league grows enough and their results are poor enough that they get relegated to D2.

Even if you are looking at population, it's 193k with Milton right next door at 110k, so that alone gets you beyond 300k which people seem to think is enough for places like Saskatoon and Regina. It's almost the population of Victoria, and I'm being generous by reserving next door neighbors Mississauga for their own potential team, and Burlington which may be drawn towards Hamilton. If you consider them contributing some fans, that's 183k people to draw from in Burlington, and 720k for Mississauga.