CPL General

1 minute ago, Rocktml said:

I still believe the best thing the CPL should do is a similar thing what York did. Have regional clubs example York, peel, Durham etc....greater population doing it that way. 

I share this opinion. Easier marketing, greater possibility for stability for smaller clubs, less clusters

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I'm going to echo what others have said. @Ansem, why would they have to wait for a second division and enter there? Especially if the plan is for pro/rel, then there isn't a clear cut division of teams into D1 and D2, it would be fluid. So they can be D1 until the league grows enough and their results are poor enough that they get relegated to D2.

Even if you are looking at population, it's 193k with Milton right next door at 110k, so that alone gets you beyond 300k which people seem to think is enough for places like Saskatoon and Regina. It's almost the population of Victoria, and I'm being generous by reserving next door neighbors Mississauga for their own potential team, and Burlington which may be drawn towards Hamilton. If you consider them contributing some fans, that's 183k people to draw from in Burlington, and 720k for Mississauga.

It was just the framing of the article I guess and how it was about building towards that. To me, it sounded that it would take time.

CPL claims to be taking to over 20 cities for teams and the leagues wanting to reach 16 teams 2026, I assume that Oakville isn't one of the groups nor would make it on time.

If they can get investors and a modular stadium quickly, nothing prevents Oakville from joining as a Halton Region team (population of over 548k as of 2016).

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

It was just the framing of the article I guess and how it was about building towards that. To me, it sounded that it would take time.

CPL claims to be taking to over 20 cities for teams and the leagues wanting to reach 16 teams 2026, I assume that Oakville isn't one of the groups nor would make it on time.

If they can get investors and a modular stadium quickly, nothing prevents Oakville from joining as a Halton Region team (population of over 548k as of 2016).

Alright. Not sure why you would jump to the conclusion that Oakville isn't one of the 20. The fact there is even a whisper of a rumor and a supposed hiring in place already makes me think they would be further ahead than most of the 20. Where else have we heard even that much information from? Obviously Montreal/Laval, KW, somewhere in Saskatchewan somewhere in mainland BC? If we throw Quebec City and Mississauga in as well we get up to 6. I don't think there has been any other place that has had rumors that strong. I might have missed one or two though.

Edited by Kent

On 2/11/2019 at 3:55 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I will never speak out against the V-Cup being given a primary spot for Canadian rep, since now and for the future, perhaps always, it represents Canadian soccer across leagues.

I'm intrigued by this view, and do see that as something that should be honoured if this is true.  But in 2007 it wasn't across leagues, and so there is one precedent that this isn't quite necessary.  I get that 2007 was a bit of an anomaly, and perhaps the exception that proves rule, but it is worth mentioning.

My judgement on this issue is clouded by MLS.  It was sold to us as the solution to our problems, and what we've learned is that while it is a very high level, it is an American business, for American soccer.  As the only gig in town, it makes great sense.  But now we have a (hopefully) viable alternative that is the very thing the Voyageurs Cup wants to be (despite its intention being what Unnamed Trialist says above which I believe to be true) and that is a National Champion. 

I don't agree that giving the Champions League spot to CPL denigrates the competition. 

46 minutes ago, Kent said:

Alright. Not sure why you would jump to the conclusion that Oakville isn't one of the 20. The fact there is even a whisper of a rumor and a supposed hiring in place already makes me think they would be further ahead than most of the 20. Where else have we heard even that much information from? Obviously Montreal/Laval, KW, somewhere in Saskatchewan somewhere in mainland BC? If we throw Quebec City and Mississauga in as well we get up to 6. I don't think there has been any other place that has had rumors that strong. I might have missed one or two though.

Clanachan had gave a list of places the league was talking too and Oakville/Halton region wasn't mentioned. Durham and Niagara were.

Still possible that someone approached the afterwards.

I'm not against it, the more teams the better

Edited by Ansem

On 2/11/2019 at 6:59 PM, masster said:

I actually think this change is unwarranted. The CPL doesn't deserve a spot for 2019. I expected one for 2020, based on the results of the 2019 season, but to get a spot in continental competition before the league has even finished 1 season seems extremely generous.

I am actually inclined to agree. Historically, every single Canadian team that has ever gone on to continental champions league has done so through the Voyageurs Cup. If we wanted to be different, and honour our traditions, we would continue that. It gives a lot more prestige to the semi-final rounds of the V-cup, which in Montréal are poorly attended. 

If the two finalists from the cup were sent to CCL, it would make the tournament a lot cooler. 

This will also exclude our MLS teams, as well as the Fury. Those are all teams that have, you know, actually kicked a ball before... 

Also, Montréal and Toronto have both made CCL finals in the last 4 seasons, so excluding them from a potential spot is both short sighted on behalf of the CSA, and a little spiteful, given those clubs successes in that league. 

So the only 2 CPL teams that could meet Ottawa are essentially Valour and Wanderers, assuming Ottawa doesn’t make the final.

Valour seems to have the best draw, having Ottawa instead of an MLS squad, but in the semis they would face TFC.

Crazy how only 3 teams get a shot at Concacaf League. That doesn’t seem fair at all, especially since those teams already got a leg up in the Canadian Championship.

26 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

This is big news, and its garbage. 

The whole idea of those three teams being "older" was dumb, but I figured they needed some reason to separate the CPL teams for their silly Canadian Championship format so I just shrugged my shoulders. 

But making only those three able to qualify for an international competition? I really don't like that. If it's just going to be based on regular season results up to that point, just let the whole league have a shot at that spot. 

I was happy with Halifax's draw for the competition then immediately saw this and got salty. Not just as an HFX fan but as a CPL fan in general.

14 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

So the only 2 CPL teams that could meet Ottawa are essentially Valour and Wanderers, assuming Ottawa doesn’t make the final.

Valour seems to have the best draw, having Ottawa instead of an MLS squad, but in the semis they would face TFC.

Crazy how only 3 teams get a shot at Concacaf League. That doesn’t seem fair at all, especially since those teams already got a leg up in the Canadian Championship.

So stupid!!! Don't we want to send our best CPL representative to the Concacaf League? If Pacific or Cavalry are the best teams, they don't have a chance!

51 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

When you think that Soccer Canada had got its shit together. Never thought something as simple as this could be fucked up by the CSA.

That is really utter BS! How can they decide that? It is like having someone older then you by ten minutes and holding it over your head.

My question is who take sthe most blame CSA or the league? I know Rollins tweeted about the other teams not being happy, and that it wasn't what the CPL wanted. However, I can't help but feel that the three teams didn't fight this too hard.