CPL new teams speculation

Could this site be a good option for a Laval/Montreal CPL team?

This women's final game played in Laval, Montreal location: 

Complexe Multi-Sports De Laval - https://goo.gl/maps/ZKNBPjpTdfotu44n7

In the above video you can get a good feel for the locations, google maps shows that it has large concrete/tarmac either side of the field which you could put bigger stands on. With new turf that has only full size soccer lines on it would be a very similar set up to what the new Langley CPL team is starting with.

Assuming Langley is successful would it not be possible to replicate it here, have there been previous considerations for this location?

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

Will CSA allow new USL2/PDL teams?

I noticed we are down to 2 in Canada now (Thunder Bay and Winnipeg)

Is USL2 any better than our League 1s?

Not better but cheaper to start a club.

Maybe X years in the USL2, hoping to eventually join the Canadian D2 and then hope for a promotion without paying the fee?

My 2 cents.

You have a great question.

Is the USL2 way better than the PLSQ?

On 8/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, Watchmen said:

DO NOT SPLIT IN TO TWO CONFERENCES. I know MLS has done it, but that's because the league itself is enormous and that's a different discussion. We can all sit here and argue over how many teams the CPL can sustain (and a possible Div 2) but there's absolutely no reason to ever split in to two conferences. They'll never hit the number of teams required to really do that, and if they actually did (and that would have to be >20), then have the conversation about pro/rel.

There is one reason and IMO it is more then enough to justify it: money! Canada is one massive country, whose population is mostly concentrated on an horizontal strip close to the US, which basically maximize travel costs. Bringing a team to Halifax for Vancouver is one costly business so anything that can save in travel costs is good for the league.

If they can have two conferences with six teams or more each then they should go for different conferences, not because its an ideal scenario but because the money saved could either help things be sustainable when they otherwise might not have been or be spent in other, more useful, ways.

Edited by phil03

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

There is one reason and IMO it is more then enough to justify it: money! Canada is one massive country, whose population is mostly concentrated on an horizontal strip close to the US, which basically maximize travel costs. Bringing a team to Halifax for Vancouver is one costly business so anything that can save in travel costs is good for the league.

If they can have two conferences with six teams or more each then they should go for different conferences, not because its an ideal scenario but because the money saved could either help things be sustainable when they otherwise might not have been or be spent in other, more useful, ways.

Who are we to tell multimillionaires how to spend their money? If they don't want to do conferences, then they don't want to and we should leave it at that...

geez

Edited by Ansem

22 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or accept MLS affiliates into membership. Suspect he'd be singing a different tune at that point. Conferences and a move to junior hockey style bus travel would be a big step towards making the league more financially sustainable.

Or you could stay on topic instead of ranting about "junior style bus travel"

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hoping the league becomes financially sustainable so it is with us off into the long term future is not ranting.

MLS wouldn't be MLS had they followed your advice, same goes to most D1 leagues out there - Still off topic though - just saying

Edited by Ansem

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pretty obvious OTP hates the CPL.

Still droning on about MLS affiliates even after the advent of Next Pro. 

And the bus league comment may be the biggest joke of them all.

He's entitled to his opinion and I don't mind interacting with him in the appropriate thread. That way - there's no need to insult him - we can choose to engage or not without derailing the conversations 😁

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Please stop responding to my posts if as is clearly the case you don't understand what they are motivated by.

Stop posting nonsense and I will stop calling it out.

A bus league? I think you are taking the piss.

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

If he is, he’s been doing it for years. Perhaps the most committed piss taker of all time. 

Like hasn`t the ship sailed on MLS reserve side with the advent of Next Pro? Or is he advocating for the MLS teams to put their 3rd level side in CPL?

And the bus league comment is hilarious. We already basically have that with the League 1s. How would the CPL going that route help?