CPL new teams speculation

Just listened for the cebl commissioner podcast where he compares there journey to the cpl. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/start-ups-trusting-your-team-w-mike-morreale/id1534432504?i=1000506695564

He later mentions they have plans to grow to 12 teams. St.John and Montreal on there radar. Can't see why the cpl doesn't team in all the same markets. 

21 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Just listened for the cebl commissioner podcast where he compares there journey to the cpl. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/start-ups-trusting-your-team-w-mike-morreale/id1534432504?i=1000506695564

He later mentions they have plans to grow to 12 teams. St.John and Montreal on there radar. Can't see why the cpl doesn't team in all the same markets. 

I noticed yesterday that the CEBL Commissioner confirmed that Montreal would be getting a team (details and venue TBA). I have to say, seeing that made me feel more secure about the CPL's future. If the CEBL can keep rolling forward despite being a smaller organization with fewer teams, smaller fan-base, less corporate support, etc. and still make that work in the pandemic, then I think the CPL will be fine. 

https://twitter.com/Kwabz9/status/1357451989643386880

16 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I noticed yesterday that the CEBL Commissioner confirmed that Montreal would be getting a team (details and venue TBA). I have to say, seeing that made me feel more secure about the CPL's future. If the CEBL can keep rolling forward despite being a smaller organization with fewer teams, smaller fan-base, less corporate support, etc. and still make that work in the pandemic, then I think the CPL will be fine. 

https://twitter.com/Kwabz9/status/1357451989643386880

There model is a little different. Think they have centralized ownership group and selling off franchises as the league grows 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, brianjc said:

Montreal Manic Brings In Sandro Grande - Northern Tribune

talks of plans to gauge interest for a CPL club

I mean, he was working with Alex Bunbury. Shouldn't they have determined by now if there's local interest? I can understand looking for financial backing, but "gaging local interest" at this stage seems to indicate it might not be there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

All due respect why are we ripping a guy who has been busting his ass off for 2 years trying to make it happen and been public about it ? I get he hasn’t come through yet but still, this is someone you want to be involved.

Al Simpson was busting his butt for years in Saskatoon but no one heard a thing about it. And he has the money. 

We want his equivalent in Quebec to show up, twice. Then, if they want to hire Bunbury in a couple of years, as a piece of the puzzle, great. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Al Simpson was busting his butt for years in Saskatoon but no one heard a thing about it. And he has the money. 

We want his equivalent in Quebec to show up, twice. Then, if they want to hire Bunbury in a couple of years, as a piece of the puzzle, great. 

He busted his butt for a year actually. 

Different picture in QC, let’s not forget he’s setting up in the impacts backyard where they are losing money.

Bunbury drumming up interest, or being the public face of some nameless money guys in Lavalle or Quebec city is fine.  The poor guy was right there in the open trials, working to make CPL go right from the start.  I willing to give almost anyone  miles of slack if it looks like they are putting the effort into making something happen.  If this was easy we would have a full 3 tier pyramid and dozens of soccer specific stadiums from coast to coast already.   

57 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He busted his butt for a year actually. 

Different picture in QC, let’s not forget he’s setting up in the impacts backyard where they are losing money.

I personally think he is not setting up anything. I do not think he is capable. Apart from that, I understand he does not really speak proper French, is that the case? My view is that he has been ineffective and possibly has even been an impediment.

I can't see why any business person with real ambition would need him, they wouldn't. You would do everything with the local administration, and with the CPL business people, and none of that involves the enthusiasm of a former player. Not, at least, until further down the road, when you hire him to play a PR, ambassador or player development role, or the like.

But does he speak French, because if he doesn't, you can't use him in Québec.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I personally think he is not setting up anything. I do not think he is capable. Apart from that, I understand he does not really speak proper French, is that the case? My view is that he has been ineffective and possibly has even been an impediment.

I can't see why any business person with real ambition would need him, they wouldn't. You would do everything with the local administration, and with the CPL business people, and none of that involves the enthusiasm of a former player. Not, at least, until further down the road, when you hire him to play a PR, ambassador or player development role, or the like.

I’m not sure what the role he wants or desires is. It’s hard to say what he has been as the reality is we’re in a pandemic and it’s really locked down tight here and has been for 8 of the last 12 months. He may just be a facilitator?

as for the French aspect, they can use him regardless and there is an English speaking minority in Quebec.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My feeling is there may be less interest in a Montreal area CPL team than people think. York struggled the most for attendance last year, playing in the shadow of TFC. There is no real towards a team in the Fraser Valley, the Whitecaps region.  This is not to say that owners might not step up at some point, but establishing a new soccer team these regions is likely a different challenge than setting up teams where there's no immediate competition. 

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He grew up in St. Leonard in Montreal, so he would have had some French exposure. I think he was 16 when he moved to NDG (a more anglophone area of Montreal).

20 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

He grew up in St. Leonard in Montreal, so he would have had some French exposure. I think he was 16 when he moved to NDG (a more anglophone area of Montreal).

If he's Francophone, much better. 

You can't have the voice of a team or spokesperson or promotional guru not communicating in French. 

Maybe the CPL also needs to pay someone 50,000 a year to translate everything. And require it of OneSoccer for some core content as of a certain date.