CPL new teams speculation

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎12 at 10:12 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Paul Beirne's vision of focussing on smaller markets plus multiple teams in the big cities sounds good and it would be great to see it unfold in the way he describes, but it remains to be seen whether investors will buy into that to the extent that is needed to actually get it off the ground given the relatively high break evens that they are still talking about given they also need to cater to the ambitions of the two founding CFL stadium franchises. I'm somewhat skeptical Paul Beirne's stated vision in podcasts is what Bob Young and the Blue Bombers actually really want rather than being something that has been forced on them by circumstances, because the soccer version of the CFL fueled by a solo 2026 hosting bid scenario didn't materialize.

Well, what Paul Beirne said about going into markets with 200,000 as a bare minimum while putting multiple teams in a market like the GTA and indirectly equating that to the league stifling Hamilton and Winnipeg's ambitions is just a conclusion you've come to. Not a bad conclusion by any means. However, there's a lot of factors that are probably at play when it comes to this whole situation. Hamilton and Winnipeg are the founding and, officially, only clubs thus far, and are paying the salaries of the CPL employees including PB's. Nothing is being forced on either the Winnipeg or Hamilton ownership groups.

Considering when one looks at the number of markets Paul has mentioned the CPL would like to be in down the road being in the CHL 40 to 60 range, I think a sound conclusion would be the eventual introduction of promotion/relegation and a shift towards an open market system so a league structure can be achieved where cities like Hamilton and Winnipeg can have clubs thrive with 20,000 to 30,000 average attendances while cities like Barrie and Kelowna for example can also do so in kind with 8,000 to 10,000 averages.

48 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Considering when one looks at the number of markets Paul has mentioned the CPL would like to be in down the road being in the CHL 40 to 60 range, I think a sound conclusion would be the eventual introduction of promotion/relegation and a shift towards an open market system so a league structure can be achieved where cities like Hamilton and Winnipeg can have clubs thrive with 20,000 to 30,000 average attendances while cities like Barrie and Kelowna for example can also do so in kind with 8,000 to 10,000 averages.

Remember that he said this in almost the same breath as talking about a distant future with multiple divisions in region and quality. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2017 at 9:10 PM, Dicdan said:

how about the canadian PDL teams?

I mean, is more interesting to the clubs and their rosters enjoy a new canadian D1 than staying in a american D4...

Most don't have the financial resources, though KW is looking for/have found the investors that will allow them to make the jump

Edited by Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is also posted in the CPL General thread, but the likely death of NASL would seem to have major implications for FCEd joining CPL sooner rather than later.

http://www.espnfc.us/north-american-soccer-league/story/3258359/judge-denies-nasls-request-for-injunction-to-regain-division-ii-status

The NASL will almost certainly file an appeal, so it isn't over yet. Don't see a way in which they win an appeal, but it happens from time to time. 

Just now, harrycoyster said:

The NASL will almost certainly file an appeal, so it isn't over yet. Don't see a way in which they win an appeal, but it happens from time to time. 

Sure, but there is no doubt that this hurts.  I know FCEd isn't composing their 'farewell' tweet to NASL quite yet, but in terms of circumstances favouring their jump to CPL, things just got a bit sunnier.

On 04/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Sure, but there is no doubt that this hurts.  I know FCEd isn't composing their 'farewell' tweet to NASL quite yet, but in terms of circumstances favouring their jump to CPL, things just got a bit sunnier.

I'm caught in two minds. If CPL was starting up next year this would seem like great news. But since it appears that CPL won't start in 2018 it makes me worry that this might be just a touch too soon.

Whatever happens with NASL, I hope FC Edmonton ends up in CPL one way or another.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm caught in two minds. If CPL was starting up next year this would seem like great news. But since it appears that CPL won't start in 2018 it makes me worry that this might be just a touch too soon.

Whatever happens with NASL, I hope FC Edmonton ends up in CPL one way or another.

Pretty unlikely that things would dovetail perfectly though.  I will still take this development (even with the timing risk) over NASL continuing on as d2 and thus having Fath financially locked into preserving it at all costs.

22 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty unlikely that things would dovetail perfectly though.  I will still take this development (even with the timing risk) over NASL continuing on as d2 and thus having Fath financially locked into preserving it at all costs.

Agreed that it would be unlikely that it all happens at the same time. But I'd rather NASL die after CPL season 1 is done rather than a year before CPL season 1 kicks off.

8 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Quebec City is a must 

Agreed 100%. 

Speaking purely on the idea of a 'national' league, by Canadians, for Canadians; which is the hallmark of this entire exercise in the first place: Québec must have a team. 

While Franco-Ontarians and Acadians compose significant populations in cities like Ottawa and Moncton, neither of those two cities have cofirmed that they're even interested in the CanPL. If the league is to be truly 'national', and not the Anglo-Canadian premier league, a team in Québec needs to be included to get French language media and fans on board. 

I'd also like to point out that the Ottawa Fury do a decent job of promoting French language material for the Francophone population of Ottawa, and their supporters groups (The Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot) all put out French language material as well. The ByTown boys fly the Franco-Ontarian flag at every game. That type of mentality and acceptance of our linguistic duality needs to be present at all games. Yes, even out west. Winnipeg has a big Francophone population too (St. Boniface and St. Norbert). 

3 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Agreed 100%. 

Speaking purely on the idea of a 'national' league, by Canadians, for Canadians; which is the hallmark of this entire exercise in the first place: Québec must have a team. 

While Franco-Ontarians and Acadians compose significant populations in cities like Ottawa and Moncton, neither of those two cities have cofirmed that they're even interested in the CanPL. If the league is to be truly 'national', and not the Anglo-Canadian premier league, a team in Québec needs to be included to get French language media and fans on board. 

I'd also like to point out that the Ottawa Fury do a decent job of promoting French language material for the Francophone population of Ottawa, and their supporters groups (The Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot) all put out French language material as well. The ByTown boys fly the Franco-Ontarian flag at every game. That type of mentality and acceptance of our linguistic duality needs to be present at all games. Yes, even out west. Winnipeg has a big Francophone population too (St. Boniface and St. Norbert). 

I'm sorry, but I really feel like it should be the people involved with each club, that should decide their identity. Uniqueness should be celebrated. Yes, I think the league needs Quebec City, and overall investment from the Francophone community. That's a huge part of our county. But if Surrey decides to report their games in Punjabi, instead of French, I certainly wouldn't feel like it was a slight to anyone.  The league should do whatever they can to incorporate the different communities across the country, but it's up to those communities to support that team, and decide their identity.

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm sorry, but I really feel like it should be the people involved with each club, that should decide their identity. Uniqueness should be celebrated. Yes, I think the league needs Quebec City, and overall investment from the Francophone community. That's a huge part of our county. But if Surrey decides to report their games in Punjabi, instead of French, I certainly wouldn't feel like it was a slight to anyone.  The league should do whatever they can to incorporate the different communities across the country, but it's up to those communities to support that team, and decide their identity.

Neither would I. On principle, I would actually encourage broader access.  

However, I think we're talking about two different things here. I believe the league should be officially bilingual, and that a media deal should have all games available in both languages for streaming; realizing that individual clubs may go above and beyond (IE, Punjabi in Surrey, or Chiac in Moncton).

3 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Neither would I. On principle, I would actually encourage broader access.  

However, I think we're talking about two different things here. I believe the league should be officially bilingual, and that a media deal should have all games available in both languages for streaming; realizing that individual clubs may go above and beyond (IE, Punjabi in Surrey, or Chiac in Moncton).

Sure, that's a beautiful thought. Do you think there's a market for Surrey vs Edmonton amongst French speaking people in this country?

21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Sure, that's a beautiful thought. Do you think there's a market for Surrey vs Edmonton amongst French speaking people in this country?

Francophones from Sudbury to Québec to Moncton watch NHL games (and even some CFL) in French, featuring teams from all over. I'd say that if the product is worth watching, then yes, especially if their team is involved in the league more generally, or in a play-off scenario or championship. 

I like that you're optimistic about Edmonton joining CanPL as well. :) 

9 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Ottawa is going to be a key market for the league to be in, Moncton maybe not so much, but it sould be noted that interest from the city is there, it was there early and there are articles about it. 

18 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Ottawa is going to be a key market for the league to be in, Moncton maybe not so much, but it sould be noted that interest from the city is there, it was there early and there are articles about it. 

That was mostly about the head of NB soccer wanting a team in Moncton. No actual group has been identified as potential owners.

12 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Francophones from Sudbury to Québec to Moncton watch NHL games (and even some CFL) in French, featuring teams from all over. I'd say that if the product is worth watching, then yes, especially if their team is involved in the league more generally, or in a play-off scenario or championship. 

I like that you're optimistic about Edmonton joining CanPL as well. :) 

I hope you're right! It would be great if this league garnered that level of attention. MLS can be so bland at times because fans and media alike seem to lack basic knowledge of the other teams in the league. Even most managers seem to rarely vary their tactics for specific opposition. Or maybe I've just been watching Vancouver for too long.