Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

On 4/15/2024 at 5:25 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone notice who the #19 on the other team was?

Bustos, but their team is a more modest club and the goal is likely to just stay up. While Malmo wants to repeat and get ready for Champions League qualifying in the summer.

Despite that they finished quite high up the table last season:

image.png.af75f624a2c7c794e6b851ff80843172.png

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They beat Djurgarden away tonight with a stoppage time goal, 0-1,  Derek had a header on a late corner barely saved and another put it in. Wild celebrations, the team has real spirit.

https://x.com/Malmo_FF/status/1783578566166225304

They have won 5/5 and are leaders once again.

Malmo have  only conceded 1 goal over the 5 games. Derek seems to be a key target on set plays for them and something we badly need. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Malmo have  only conceded 1 goal over the 5 games. Derek seems to be a key target on set plays for them and something we badly need. 

He deserves a good long look, but so does Bombito. 

The only question for me would be whether you have the position awareness, organization and leadership there with them as a pair. 

18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The only question for me would be whether you have the position awareness, organization and leadership there with them as a pair. 

It could only happen with reps. 
CB partnerships require the most familiarity on the pitch.

I really think those two could be our future. It just sucks we have the lineup of games we have (or maybe it's good?)

28 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We need to be realistic here, the only guys we have leading a CB backline are Waterman and MIller, and neither of those guys are doing a particularly good job at it.  Between having one of those guys do a job they're not succeeding at or having a new combination that is athletic, tall, quicker and our two most in form CB's, I know what my lineup is.

57 minutes ago, Shway said:

It could only happen with reps. 
CB partnerships require the most familiarity on the pitch.

I really think those two could be our future. It just sucks we have the lineup of games we have (or maybe it's good?)

It is a sink or swim situation, for sure. 

I have seen centre backs' development set back by a thrashing or series of them.  (Or a career essentially ended by a bad half against West Ham *cough* Sol Campbell *cough*.) 

I guess we will see.  Be nice to have a coach and system in place I really trust.

Not that I’m a… you know, Dutch master, but that first tweet just says “I think he should go to Ajax because he was born in a town called Ajax”. Would be a phenomenal move though, anywhere in the Netherlands. He looks absolutely dominating this year.

Not that beggars can be choosers, but if there is a move, I hope he’s still able to play in Malmo’s champions league matches later this summer before he leaves.