CPL Stadium Thread

26 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What are the significance of hay loading and the lancers paddock/barn? The plan certainly seems to accommodate a lot of other activities

It's an equestrian club that has their facilities adjacent to the stadium.  It's not part of the new plan; it is something that is already in place.

Edited by Kingston

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

It's an equestrian club that has their facilities adjacent to the stadium.  It's not part of the new plan; it is something that is already in place.

The main stand is next to a stables?  

I guess it could be worse.   I guess.

Fun fact.  Before IG Field was built out at the UoM a couple of locations pitched included in the old stockyards/meat packers district and in the Point Douglas neighbourhood a bit to the north west, along the industrial yards following the CPR line.

Not sure what, exactly, the vibe they were going for with those proposals but no, nobody took those proposals seriously.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Are people in Halifax happy with what's being pitched?

I think it’s hard to gauge.  As someone already supportive and a season ticket holder I was impressed by the plan and the offer to go with a 30 year lease to help make it all work.

I’ll miss the grass but we’re not big enough to keep it and have it be usable in shoulder seasons like they do at BMO in Toronto due to the extra equipment you need to keep the grass growing, etc… Maybe one day.

Those adamantly opposed are the wealthy friends of the commons or the more practical crowd that sees the health care and homeless issues as bigger ( just to name a few ).

Overall I think this was impressive and surprised even the most avid supporter.  I’m not seeing a lot of negativity around it.  

Here’s hoping…

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Are people in Halifax happy with what's being pitched?

On the opposite side 1000 people in our small city are homeless so there are some major concerns among the people and political pressure etc... There are real concerns with millions of tax payers dollars going to subsidize another stadium for a pro sports team and billionaires like Bob Young. 

My view is the stadium would be positive for the city and hopefully will be approved as long as the stakeholders pay their share of construction costs. However one in every 500 Halifax residents are homeless and the number is growing daily.... can only sweep that under the rug so long.....

14 hours ago, Cheeta said:

The main stand is next to a stables?  

I tried to screenshot a streetview but the file is apparently too big.

To answer your question, however, literally yes.  The distance from the edge of the paddock to the (back) edge of the stands is 12.5 m.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

To answer your question, however, literally yes.  The distance from the edge of the paddock to the (back) edge of the stands is 12.5 m.

With the Wanderers Grounds going to turf, this removes them from the Grass Derby with Atco.

However, they still have a foothold (hoofhold?) on the Stables-to-Supporters distance.

hfx.png

On 9/14/2023 at 8:26 PM, Lurker said:

I think it’s hard to gauge.  As someone already supportive and a season ticket holder I was impressed by the plan and the offer to go with a 30 year lease to help make it all work.

I’ll miss the grass but we’re not big enough to keep it and have it be usable in shoulder seasons like they do at BMO in Toronto due to the extra equipment you need to keep the grass growing, etc… Maybe one day.

Those adamantly opposed are the wealthy friends of the commons or the more practical crowd that sees the health care and homeless issues as bigger ( just to name a few ).

Overall I think this was impressive and surprised even the most avid supporter.  I’m not seeing a lot of negativity around it.  

Here’s hoping…

I concur. Well put. My initial reaction was overall excitement but a bit disappointed about the grass. But realistically, the only way to pull this off is to sell it as a multi-purpose public facility. I think they nailed it with the high school turkey bowl, rugby, and concert renderings. They even floated putting a winter bubble to make it a year-round pubic facility. 

There’s a good buzz about the city, and the wanderers have been a huge success. This is probably the city’s best and last shot at getting a permanent stadium with taxpayer dollars. 

On 9/14/2023 at 9:17 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

2023_WG_web-graphic-1-1440x810.jpg

Looks like that wouldn't be CFL compatable although there is a lot of space left empty at one end maybe so they could host lower level gridiron games. Would there really only be two floodlight pylons on one side?

Has a SJ Earthquakes feel to it with the open end, but nonetheless it looks like it would easily be the best venue in the league. Shame about the turf but I get it, not willing to die on that (grass) hill. 

10 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Housing is important.

But the idea that it is either the stadium or housing is only valid if there's actually a plan to otherwise spend the $40 million on housing and that plan will be cancelled if the stadium proceeds.  Otherwise you could just as easily say it is the stadium or anything else the city does from snow removal to garbage collection.

56 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Municipal budgets are finite though, so good luck selling that argument to irate voters if they think there is not enough being done on housing. As things stand at the moment in most parts of Canada on monthly rental prices that's likely to be a widespread perception.

Building homes and collecting rent is something for the private sector and extremely profitable. We don't need to spend any money building houses just get out of the way so people can do it. I get your point about perception but I think the tide is turning and that's a dated perception. Most people get that it's not a problem the government spends its way out of in fact just the opposite 

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Has a SJ Earthquakes feel to it with the open end, but nonetheless it looks like it would easily be the best venue in the league. Shame about the turf but I get it, not willing to die on that (grass) hill. 

Why do we in Canada have a fascination with stadiums having open ends? Just enclose the damn thing , but no we need to have a beer garden or a kids playground or we need to be able to look at the skyline or the nice forest or whatever, because God forbid all we have to look at is the game in front of us , you know the reason why we are at the stadium!

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Why do we in Canada have a fascination with stadiums having open ends? Just enclose the damn thing , but no we need to have a beer garden or a kids playground or we need to be able to look at the skyline or the nice forest or whatever, because God forbid all we have to look at is the game in front of us , you know the reason why we are at the stadium!

Because it's cheaper and in Canada unfortunately people get sticker shock around stadiums. Not sure where this stadium derangement syndrome stems from but it exists in Canada clearly. So basically everyone tries to do things on the cheap so they are allowed to do it

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Why do we in Canada have a fascination with stadiums having open ends?

It actually goes back to the Public Venues and Gather Places Act of 1837 in Upper Canada.  Back then the design of large buildings for pedestrian traffic flow wasn't really a thing nor were there sprinkler systems.  Any building that seated more than 500 people and that was constructed mostly of wood was required to have open ends so that people could escape quickly in the event of a fire. 

The Act no longer exists but its influence persists in the tradition of stadium design in Canada.  This is also why old churches in what is now Ontario are either made of stone or else seat no more than 499 people.

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Because it's cheaper and in Canada unfortunately people get sticker shock around stadiums. Not sure where this stadium derangement syndrome stems from but it exists in Canada clearly. So basically everyone tries to do things on the cheap so they are allowed to do it

It's because professional sports facilities are typically are poor public investment, and private owners are too cheap to do it on their own.

However, the Wanderers are sacrificing grass for turf to ensure that the facility can be used all year long by the community. Also, city council can't ignore how the Wanderers helped surrounding businesses during the pandemic. Someone even pointed out that the city missed out on events that could have generated more revenues and tourism by not having this kind of venue.