CPL Stadium Thread

37 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Watching the York game, it's amazing the difference between a freshly laid artificial surface vs the trampled down 5 year old surfaces in Hamilton and Winnipeg.  The ball rolled smoothly and made for a better watch.

Give it one winter with heavy use under the bubble and it’ll play just as poorly as the others. 

Having played on brand new artificial turf I can personally attest to how well it plays. It’s as close to a good grass surface as you can get. Unfortunately the demand for these surfaces (especially in the winter months) always does heavy damage and the turf is never replaced quickly enough to compensate.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, Ftduck said:

Hamilton replaced its turf a few weeks ago. 

The new turf was noticeable. You could tell the difference from the games in Winnipeg. As the CPL develops, they will have to eventually put minimum standards on this, because some of the games in Edmonton in 2019 were unwatchable on that surface.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask: If a camera operator can't use a cherry-picker because of the safety concerns with the hydro pole, is there any safe way to just mount a remote-operated camera to a cherry-picker and operate it from the ground? I feel like there has to be a solution to this damn problem. 

Also, separate topic: Has anyone seen/heard any further news on LSSE getting approval from city council in Saskatoon for the stadium? 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Ideally, this is what I'd like to see across the league at some point as the bare minimum.

Imagine how different Edmonton would be with that stadium

Estádio da Mata Real, Portugal

9 000 seats

Yup imagine small stadiums like that throughout the CPL , I would bet attendance would increase without a doubt. We can’t underestimate how the stadium experience attracts fans and also keeps them coming back. 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:11 PM, Ansem said:

The game against the Whitecaps will be nearly unwatchable... that's a shame.

I don't see how that follows. The new pole is behind the camera positions and concourse and right beside the road that passes the stadium.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:24 AM, JohnnyFranchise said:

i've watched every pacific home game this season and i've thought the broadcasts were just fine.

So, the pole appears to be a cell tower but it is also a new set of lights as well. It looked like it should have improved the lighting which was the main issue with broadcasts from Starlight. Anyone notice any improvement? 

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You know what's unwatchable?

Dumbass beer gardens. 

You want your beer garden, let it be like your sexual fetish: have it but don't force the rest of us to look at it. 

Yeah, not a fan in general but two points to make on that. 1. the cameras are generally pointed away from the beer garden at Starlight since they are beside it, and 2. the alternative is basically empty space because they are not allowed to put stands of any kind under the wires from the hydro pole.

4 hours ago, ted said:

Yeah, not a fan in general but two points to make on that. 1. the cameras are generally pointed away from the beer garden at Starlight since they are beside it, and 2. the alternative is basically empty space because they are not allowed to put stands of any kind under the wires from the hydro pole.

Been there so fine. 

So poser at BC Place, you sit there hoping the ball wipes out their fake pink champagne. People shouldn't be allowed to display such pretentiousness publicly, it's denigrating for the game. 

A stadium that's close to the pitch and enclosed all around, packed with fans. Not one in Canada. 

Edit: guess I wasn't clear, referring to when they did tables and chairs with hosts on the farside touchline, so snobby. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist