CPL Stadium Thread

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Been there so fine. 

So poser at BC Place, you sit there hoping the ball wipes out their fake pink champagne. People shouldn't be allowed to display such pretentiousness publicly, it's denigrating for the game. 

A stadium that's close to the pitch and enclosed all around, packed with fans. Not one in Canada. 

Edit: guess I wasn't clear, referring to when they did tables and chairs with hosts on the farside touchline, so snobby. 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

The one that gets me and you see it at BMO and at many North American stadiums is the patio tables right on the field lol , people sitting there having a meal at pitch side and ya drinking their fine wines and cocktails lol. Moreover, the worst view to watch a game is at ground level .

OMG right?!? 

I just want every time for the players to target these people and smash their prawn sandwiches and smug faces with a solid strike of the ball. Going to hit it in to touch? Make sure it knocks Johnny DeeBag off his little stool.

• 7 months later...

Metro Vancouver CPL Stadium apparently will have a 8000 seating capacity :

https://theprovince.com/sports/canadian-premier-league-back-where-it-all-was-supposed-to-start-in-b-c-in-langley

"The LEC installed a new turf field in 2020, and the site was developed in a way that would make stadium expansion easy. There are now plans for an 8,000 seat stadium that includes suites, and Friend is confident the township and team can have it constructed in time for kickoff in 2023. He pointed to the modular design of Empire Field as an example of how quickly construction can happen."

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kent said:

Maybe it's in another thread (I haven't seen it yet, but I am not caught up on much), the stadium referred to above is a permanent 10k stadium in Halifax to replace the existing stadium. Hoping to have it by 2026, but they don't have city approval, funding, etc. yet.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2450185&binId=1.1145463

Derek Martin said 2024 on twitter - seems like a formality, really

It's not a formality. The team doesn't own the land, but are in 3-5 year lease with the Halifax Regional Municipality to use the Wanderers Ground. The team would need to negotiate a longer term lease to secure the Wanderers Ground for a permanent stadium. The Wanderers Ground also is part of the Halifax Common, so cannot be transferred to a non-public entity. The team is also seeking funding from the 3 levels of government. Not sure if any funding request has been made yet. It was interesting to note, however, that Premier Houston was a guest of the team in the owners' box at the match against TFC on Tuesday. Finally, Derek Martin is asking for people to send their ideas for the stadium, which means they haven't started designing what they want yet. Detail architectural and engineering drawings take time, plus the tendering and construction. I can't see a stadium happening until 2025 or 2026.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:33 PM, Haligonian#1 said:

It's not a formality. The team doesn't own the land, but are in 3-5 year lease with the Halifax Regional Municipality to use the Wanderers Ground. The team would need to negotiate a longer term lease to secure the Wanderers Ground for a permanent stadium. The Wanderers Ground also is part of the Halifax Common, so cannot be transferred to a non-public entity. The team is also seeking funding from the 3 levels of government. Not sure if any funding request has been made yet. It was interesting to note, however, that Premier Houston was a guest of the team in the owners' box at the match against TFC on Tuesday. Finally, Derek Martin is asking for people to send their ideas for the stadium, which means they haven't started designing what they want yet. Detail architectural and engineering drawings take time, plus the tendering and construction. I can't see a stadium happening until 2025 or 2026.

If they're actually waiting on "all 3 levels of government", they're going to be waiting a while. The Feds don't kick in on stadium or arena projects.

17 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If they're actually waiting on "all 3 levels of government", they're going to be waiting a while. The Feds don't kick in on stadium or arena projects.

They did for BMO Field, but that was due to the country hosting the U-20 World Cup.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:52 PM, Ansem said:

Time to share your ideas with the Wanderers

"Send pics of the designs you like" is massive disrespect towards any serious design process. Whatever his role, that is garbage, and insulting. 

We are talking about government land and perhaps government funding. And he says "send in pics".

The client establishes a set of standards through a stadium committee, and then might want to go out and do proper search for relevant case studies. Hiring a consultant, or doing it themselves, through a sub committee. And they could add a "send in your ideas" as a sidebar. 

What such comments suggest is they have no idea what they are doing. Or else, that those that do should ostracize Derek Martin, he's an idiot.

PS: oh, Derek Martin is the founder and CEO of Wanderers. Then you are screwed, he is still an idiot.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

GEESH..its getting some feedback from the fans on what they would like to see.  You know, engaging the public, creating interest etc.  He never said he was going to present the designs to a stadium committee ie give them any serious concrete consideration eh??  As my grampa would say..."pull in your horns", its just a tweet.    

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

GEESH..its getting some feedback from the fans on what they would like to see.  You know, engaging the public, creating interest etc.  He never said he was going to present the designs to a stadium committee ie give them any serious concrete consideration eh??  As my grampa would say..."pull in your horns", its just a tweet.    

Sorry, that is fake feedback lingo. 

It works to convince some people, as I see from your post. Where you also assume the CEO of the company is the one to gather data and present to a stadium committee. All he is doing is creating a false scenario of consultation to then wave in front of the those deciding on public funding. Who in turn should tell him to do it right. 

Not respecting certain parameters for design process, including involving stakeholders and engaging users, is not only bad practice. It also is illegal-- irregular in regulatory terms--when public funding or the public interest is involved.

An auditor would throw his "send pics" out the window, fortunately. Maybe he is just being goofy and has me overstating, but we'll see. At Langford they got away with some really ridiculous errors at the stadium, but that is an iffy city council and I would not expect them to be at the level of Halifax.

I am just scratching the surface on this. As a few people here know I teach degree courses in design methods and research, and have been doing it for years. I am not on a fan board to talk about art and design, and rarely do, but I have credentials and expertise. 

One of the consequences of these attitudes, and the tolerance of them on the part of those with an interest--including fans--is the current state of the question in Canada: not one properly designed soccer stadium properly scaled to the CPL market. Not one. Being goofballs has its consequences.

But hey, even the place where I teach built their new building and moved the campus without fully respecting contemporary standards in design process. So there I am teaching a set of considerations, values, practices and processes, critically and contrasting as should be the case, that the very university I teach for found ways to circumvent.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not respecting certain parameters for design process, including involving stakeholders and engaging users, is not only bad practice. It also is illegal-- irregular in regulatory terms--when public funding or the public interest is involved.

oh wow...so you think his offhand comment/tweet is somehow a serious binding agreement with anon social media users and it means Derek Martin is an idiot and wont "respect the design process" ??   An auditor may throw the fan fav "design pics" out the window, but what makes him an idiot for "engaging users"....as the fans will be users of the end product.  

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"Send pics of the designs you like" is massive disrespect towards any serious design process. Whatever his role, that is garbage, and insulting. 

We are talking about government land and perhaps government funding. And he says "send in pics".

The client establishes a set of standards through a stadium committee, and then might want to go out and do proper search for relevant case studies. Hiring a consultant, or doing it themselves, through a sub committee. And they could add a "send in your ideas" as a sidebar. 

What such comments suggest is they have no idea what they are doing. Or else, that those that do should ostracize Derek Martin, he's an idiot.

PS: oh, Derek Martin is the founder and CEO of Wanderers. Then you are screwed, he is still an idiot.

Fan engagement?

hqg GIF

Yeah, seems pretty clearly just intended to get fans talking, sharing stadiums they like and tagging this tweet and their friends. Get people aware and excited about the proposal.

It's in the same vein as "our new kit drops next week, in the mean time what are some of your all time favourite kits from around the world?"

Have to laugh at the little bit of spin in there, saying rugby doesn't tear up a field like (sic) American football would. I get that he's probably angling to keep the CFL out of this,  which would be a shame IMO because I would love to see a tenth team in addition to soccer and rugby somehow. 

Stadium roadmap & blueprint for CPL can be the NWSL.

KC team in NWSL dropped their renderings for 11.5k stadium. Not likely to be filled given average attendance for league is 7k with most teams closer to 5k.

Pretty standard  looking and don't like open end but given it provides a river view, it can be excused. Costs have gone up from US$70 million to US$117 million. About 10% will be funded by taxpayers if approved.

It's taken NWSL about a decade to get to this stage in terms of this level of a stadium.

Edited by red card