Ashtone Morgan

Ruffian

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Love the increased presence on US based MLS teams from our Canadian players this upcoming season.  Hopefully most will be playing regularly.

I mentioned something similar in the Canadians in MLS thread, but I gave a little kudos to Toronto.

While Montreal and Vancouver are doing an excellent job at filling their rosters with Canadians, Toronto has been slowly and steadily supplying the American teams with Canadian talent.

Kaye, Edwards, Hamilton, Chapman and now Morgan...

So while TFC gets criticized for being too "American", they are also becoming a launching pad of sorts for Canadians into the American teams.

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Can Canadians still get loaned out to USL and be considered "domestic" in that league? His future might be similar to Jakovic with LAFC.

Yes.  The thing that I don't understand though is people thinking that it's because of CPL and I wonder if CPL teams could pay what RSL is paying for Morgan and the answer is probably no. 

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

MLS teams suddenly showing more interest in Canadian players now that those players have a decent alternative (not talking about stars like Osorio of course)? Competition for Canadian talent just stepped up a notch or two.

If anything US teams would be less inclined to sign Canadians now that CPL is here. There used to be alot less demand for them and less options and therefore cheaper. Maybe we are just producing better players than we used to.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

So while TFC gets criticized for being too "American", they are also becoming a launching pad of sorts for Canadians into the American teams.

I guess. Bit of a stretch but glass half full, glass half empty? Launching pad or other clubs see value/potential/talent where TFC have failed? Likely agents are as much to praise.

Certainly happend to be a launching pad for Kaye but wasnt that because TFC didnt rate him? if anything Hamilton and Edward's have regressed. So I guess to counter as pedantically as possible I could say toronto have sabotaged their careers picking clubs in the states that were bad for them! 😛

The main point is that they are creating Canadian talent that seems to be sticking at MLS level and that is certainly a positive. 

I think the real reason is the (convoluted) domestic player rule change a couple years back. Hamilton and Kaye are domestic league wide. I believe Morgan and Chapman likely are as well. Edwards is the only one from Obinna’s list that is labelled as an international on the MLS website (rosters page).

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think the real reason is the (convoluted) domestic player rule change a couple years back. Hamilton and Kaye are domestic league wide. I believe Morgan and Chapman likely are as well. Edwards is the only one from Obinna’s list that is labelled as an international on the MLS website (rosters page).

I think Teibert is also a domestic league-wide.

Didn’t Edwards tweet that he now has a green card?

As for TFC, I guess Osorio now takes the mantle of longest-serving member on the current roster. With all due respect to Romeo and Dunn and while it is great that there are more Canadians on US MLS clubs thanks to them, I am not sure they currently have enough Canadians on the senior roster to make a V-Cup run. I know they can field TFC2 players, but still....

41 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Didn’t Edwards tweet that he now has a green card?

As for TFC, I guess Osorio now takes the mantle of longest-serving member on the current roster. With all due respect to Romeo and Dunn and while it is great that there are more Canadians on US MLS clubs thanks to them, I am not sure they currently have enough Canadians on the senior roster to make a V-Cup run. I know they can field TFC2 players, but still....

They've got Fraser, Shaffleburg, Laryea and Okello, as well.  Plus I'm not sure they're done with homegrown signings just yet.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Morgan isn't. RSL mentioned it in the article. I'm not sure about Chapman but it's possible that they put those players as domestics but didn't think to change it when tehy moved to an American MLS team.

Sad to see him leave TFC after all those years and being Mr. TFC by default(the way I saw him, anyways) in terms of being the longest-serve player on the team, lol... Will admit, that this does come as a little bit of a shocker to me, as to everything seemed to be pointing that he would make it back with TFC (referring to the latest CANMNT camp that was & how multiple sources listed him as still being involved with TFC, rather than the famous unattached)... Thought, there was something behind that plus the fact that when TFC gave their first list of returning players, they mentioned they were under negotiations with him to bring him back.. Something must have fallen apart... Nevertheless, as many posters in here have posted, it's great to see the increase of Canadian players in U.S based American teams and now here is hoping that some of them become important contributors for their clubs a la Kaye & to a lesser extent I can say Kamal Miller + Tesho last season!!!... Be nice, if he can be a regular for RSL, better yet a starter!!!!... Wish him nothing but the best, still saddens me a bit to see another one of ours leave!!!!!

In terms of the domestic rule, the other night I read an article of an interview done to Noah Verhoeven by another fellow of ours (dated back to Oct.), where he gives away that MLS is working hard on implementing new changes/rules that will make Canadians domestic league-wide.... He says that that is the ultimate goal!!!!.... Found it intriguing, maybe some of you have more insight/updates to it, as I just became aware of this whole domestic rule, about a year or so ago, lol... 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

"Launching pad" usually implies some sort of development by TFC and then sell-on to other clubs whereas all of these players were tossed aside and picked up by other teams on a free.  I think "launching pad" is a very generous characterization of TFC in this respect.

If you guys think "launching pad" is too generous, can we simply say that good Canadian players at Toronto ended up going elsewhere to find opportunities?

Some of them (Kaye) have made more of their opportunity than others (Edwards) but either way, no other Canadian team has that many alumni plying their trade for American MLS clubs.

Toronto has been the most sucessful Canadian MLS team, so I am more prone to think it's simply a tougher side to get into, rather than not valuing players or tossing them away.

17 hours ago, RS said:

They've got Fraser, Shaffleburg, Laryea and Okello, as well.  Plus I'm not sure they're done with homegrown signings just yet.

I know, but should a couple of injuries and suspensions happen to that group in what is now a six game tourney for them it will mean a fairly limited number options for fielding the minimum 3 Canucks throughout. Hopefully we will see a Nelson signing soon

Edited by Gian-Luca

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I know, but should a couple of injuries and suspensions happen to that group in what is now a six game tourney for them it will mean a fairly limited number options for fielding the minimum 3 Canucks throughout. Hopefully we will see a Nelson signing soon

As you know, TFC is able to fully utilize its TFC2 roster during the tournament and thus has every other team beat for sheer numbers of Canadian players available. Meeting the minimum isn't a problem.

Your concern that there may not be enough experienced/developed Canadians available to TFC is warranted, though.

4 hours ago, RS said:

As you know, TFC is able to fully utilize its TFC2 roster during the tournament and thus has every other team beat for sheer numbers of Canadian players available. Meeting the minimum isn't a problem.

Your concern that there may not be enough experienced/developed Canadians available to TFC is warranted, though.

Yes, that’s what I am getting at - I am not worried that they will have to forfeit matches because they can’t field 3 Canucks but rather that they won’t win the Cup because they don’t have an abundance of experienced Canucks. Of course, some of the younger guys like Okello might be more experienced by the time the matches roll around. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...