Ashtone Morgan

Ruffian

I'm torn on Morgan. On the one hand, given that he is playing behind one of the best LB's in MLS, I think it makes sense for him to leave TFC. On the other hand, I don't know if he gets a better role or contract if he leaves MLS.

It's a real shame that Ryan Nelsen destroyed every ounce of Morgan's confidence in his 18 months as manager. 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/16/mls-announces-list-players-eligible-stage-1-re-entry-draft

He (and Bernier) have opted out of the MLS re-entry draft which further suggests he's got some irons in the fire in Scandinavia if he's there. I am wondering if Bernier is retiring but I guess that is for another thread.

I don't think so. Bernier has stated this week that he only wants to play for the Impact in MLS. RED isn't really for him.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/16/mls-announces-list-players-eligible-stage-1-re-entry-draft

He (and Bernier) have opted out of the MLS re-entry draft which further suggests he's got some irons in the fire in Scandinavia if he's there. I am wondering if Bernier is retiring but I guess that is for another thread.

He can still re-sign at a lower price with IMFC

I rate Morgan higher than Morrow. I always have. I'm pretty sure if Morgan gets a chance to get on with a European club, he will be on a pretty decent team within a couple of years. If Morrow left and went to Europe, I'm pretty sure he could get on with a team too but I feel he would be returned fairly quickly.

Thank you Ashtone. You were always a class act and I hope only bigger and better things for you.

1 minute ago, Ivan said:

Good, glad he is back.  Gives his all for the club.  Too bad he was hurt much of the year.  Morrow wasn't always at the top of his game.  I think Ashtone would have got a lot more playing time this year had he been healthy.

I agree. It was pretty evident that Vanney trusted Morgan off the bench at either LB or LW. As I mentioned earlier, I highly doubt there was a better offer in terms of money or playing time in a similar league of play than what he has at TFC.

I actually believe in a 3-5-2 that there's very little to distinguish between Morgan and Morrow. Morrow is better defensively and is the better option in a 4 man backline, but with an emphasis on offence from the wingbacks in a 3-5-2 you almost have to think if Morrow gets injured that Morgan could have a chance to run with job for good.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

I actually believe in a 3-5-2 that there's very little to distinguish between Morgan and Morrow. Morrow is better defensively and is the better option in a 4 man backline, but with an emphasis on offence from the wingbacks in a 3-5-2 you almost have to think if Morrow gets injured that Morgan could have a chance to run with job for good.

That's being very generous to Morgan. Morrow is better in every aspect except for probably pure speed. Morrow was arguably the best LB in MLS last season and should have been called up to the US during the season.

23 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

That's being very generous to Morgan. Morrow is better in every aspect except for probably pure speed. Morrow was arguably the best LB in MLS last season and should have been called up to the US during the season.

My thought is that a lot of non-playing factors would be involved. Morrow will be 30 next season and he's making 200K. If he gets a major injury, that might precipitate a move to a younger, cheaper option at both the starter and backup spots at Left Wing Back. I am also assuming Morgan is taking a paycut from his 120K salary from this season and that a young player on the cheap could fill in as backup. Also Morrow might have a high trade value at this point and it might make sense to acquire assets while allocating that salary to upgrade at CB.

Lastly, although Morrow is superior in almost every aspect that speed advantage at LWB shouldn't be understated. A big part of that position is the ability to cover a lot of ground at both ends and Morgan gives you a lot in that regard.

On 12/16/2016 at 6:16 PM, jpg75 said:

Overall, Morrow did nothing to deserve losing his spot. He played well and, even coming forward, he was effective.  Its been often mentioned that Morgan's strenght was his ball crossing.  I use to mention this as well and thought this aspect of his game was what made him a very very promising talent.   But then suddenly Danny Kouvermans suffered a career ending injury.  Since then, Morgans crosses have not yielded much.  This is likely due to having a different set of forwrds with different skills and strenghts from Kouverman.  It looks like Kouvremans skills in converting those crosses into goals are what made Morgan skills standout. 

Edited by Free kick

18 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think Morgan can whip in a cross better than Morrow, as he tends to put more pace on it and releases it quicker - he's also less likely to score 5 goals in a season mind you and Morrow is better defensively.

Problem there is that, aside from the playoff matches versus Montreal, TFC doesnt score or create many chances off of crosses from wing anymore.  With fwds like Giovinco (small stature) and perhaps Altidore and Ricketts you need to play the ball more on the ground.  And the game plan is a slower buildup up the middle moreso than a quick counter attack from the wings.  

Morgan would do best on a squad that relies on that targetman.  

Edited by Free kick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...