Ashtone Morgan

Ruffian

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With Drew Moor possibly out for awhile, will Morgan get more minutes? Will one of Morgan or Morrow play out of position? (I don't really follow TFC closely).

Plus they would just put Mavinga in the starting 11. (But he was absolutly dreadful in the last game. Both goals were his fault)

Only an injury to Morrow would see him get any playing time, maybe.

Seems to me Ashtone is happy to simply be on the books for his hometown team.  If he was truly ambitious and wanted to get his game to the next level, he would have left TFC for more playing time years ago.  But that ship has sailed and Morgan is no longer on the CMNT radar, nor is his value within MLS anything remarkable, and younger players have passed him by.  Wish him well anyways.

Update from John Molinaro. Morgan is back training with the first team, and will get some action with TFC II to get in game shape. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-notebook-coach-vanney-not-panicking-slow-start/

MORGAN BACK IN FULL TRAINING

After sitting out the entire season thus far while recovering from foot surgery, Canadian defender Ashtone Morgan was back in full training on Tuesday.

TFC’s longest serving player, Morgan, who debuted for the club in 2011, was limited last season to just seven league appearances totalling 157 minutes, mostly due to injury problems.

“It’s great to have Ash back. It gives us another option [in defence] and another guy out here every single who competes,” Vanney said.

Vanney previously said that when Morgan did come back that he would play a few games with the farm club, TFC 2, to get game fit before appearing for the senior team.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

He had some nice runs going forward but unfortunately for him certain teamates of his (most notably the ones from Italy) didn't want to pass him the ball when he was wide open.

I think he only has one teammate from Italy ;)

• 9 months later...

First the callup and start vs New Zealand and tonight a very solid game for TFC.  Had an assist that was sort of accidental but resulted from a great run, also a nice cross in to Osorio that could have been another assist.  Ashtone has his limitations, but has solid speed up and down that left wing.  Can get forward and defend.  Always thought if he could link up better, make smarter runs, and work on his crossing he could be a useful wingback type.  Maybe his time stuck on bench behind a very good Justin Morrow on a very good TFC was not so wasted after all?

I cant see him starting when Morrow is healthy, but at least Vanney should be gaining some confidence in him.  Hopefully he gets a few starts, plays the CDN championship games etc.  Its still going to be interesting to see whether a guy like Morgan or even Chapman (both making 100,000 a season) would want to jump to CPL.  

I could see another team picking him up in the MLS if he plays well whenever he plays this season, plus he is an academy product so does not count as an international on American MLS teams, so can see him going to another MLS team first before he goes to the CPL, but if a CPL team comes around with a much better offer than I can see him going to a CPL team.

I'm so happy to see him playing again and looking fairly good, he's hardly kicked a ball in the last few years between losing his starting place and a couple of bad injuries, I didn't think we'd see much more of him! He has played quite smart in the matches with TFC and Canada recently, hopefully that continues, he would be a great player to have at our new Hamilton CPL franchise!

3 hours ago, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

Great to see this outing from Morgan but I'm not sure he's locked his starting spot just yet but I hope to see him more.

He has far far from locked his starting position