Ashtone Morgan

Ruffian

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So... he's getting a call to be on Canada's bench, right?

If Morgan or Adekugbe are injured then for sure but we don’t need 3 left backs otherwise.  Nice run forward but that doesn’t make his game suddenly more complete than the other two. He’s good in build up, decent one v one but can’t dribble for his life.

I think wingback in that 352 is maybe his best position, he hardly put a foot wrong tonight and what a goal started by a perfectly weighted pass with his right foot, him and Osorio were immense on the left side tonight!

10 minutes ago, gator said:

I think wingback in that 352 is maybe his best position, he hardly put a foot wrong tonight and what a goal started by a perfectly weighted pass with his right foot, him and Osorio were immense on the left side tonight!

Let's face it, wingback is probably the best fit for almost all of our fullbacks. For whatever reason most of our guys are good going forward but are relatively weak(er) defenders.

Edited by jpg75

18 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Let's face it, wingback is probably the best fit for almost all of our fullbacks. For whatever reason most of our guys are good going forward but are relatively weak(er) defenders.

Perhaps we should try the 352? Morgan was very good defensively tonight as well  in my opinion!

4 minutes ago, gator said:

Perhaps we should try the 352? Morgan was very good defensively tonight as well  in my opinion!

The Issue is Hoilett can't play in that formation. He's not really suited to be a ten (I also don't see Canada using one) and he's not a good enough finisher to play as a FW.

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

The Issue is Hoilett can't play in that formation. He's not really suited to be a ten (I also don't see Canada using one) and he's not a good enough finisher to play as a FW.

My bigger concern would be if we could put 3 proper CB's together for this formation, Hoilett can be quite good as a10, some of his best matches at QPR were there!

53 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

So if TFC starts having cap issues, do they let Morrow go and replace him with Morgan?

Not a chance, Morrow will be right back in his starting spot when he's healthy, the club wouldn't have let Edwards go if they had any plans of that IMO!

1 hour ago, gator said:

Not a chance, Morrow will be right back in his starting spot when he's healthy, the club wouldn't have let Edwards go if they had any plans of that IMO!

I'm not debating that Morgan should start over Morrow.  My point is that in a salary cap league, there comes a time when you may have to replace player A with player B because that gives you the cap space to sign player C.

Edited by AvroArrow

I could see Morgan replacing Morrow in 2 years or whenever Morrow starts to slow down, he is 30 now and you can't afford to lose a step as a fullback in the TFC system. Morgan is 3.5 years younger and should be in his prime. If Ashtone can keep this level of play up he will be given an opportunity but that remains to be seen. I think outside of the 3 DPs, Greg Vanney will switch his lineup to give himself the best chance to win, he's pretty fair that way (outside of the weird Ben Spencer thing) and seems to trust most of his guys. In any case, we know he will not just be handed the position, they will sign another LB, even when Van der Weil was brought in he saw immediate competition in Auro brought in.

Just a side note, it really seems like the level TFC has gotten to has caused everyone to grow as players. Osorio has improved a ton and it looks like Morgan has as well. I guess training every week with the quality in that squad has some clear benefits. Just wish we could see some of the other Canadians play some minutes so we could see how much improved they are.

Edited by BradMack

40 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

My point is that in a salary cap league, there comes a time when you may have to replace player A with player B because that gives you the cap space to sign player C.

With the growth of TAM and GAM the past few years teams (who are willing to pay) have been able to pay for players they want to keep.

22 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Just a side note, it really seems like the level TFC has gotten to has caused everyone to grow as players. Osorio has improved a ton and it looks like Morgan has as well. I guess training every week with the quality in that squad has some clear benefits. Just wish we could see some of the other Canadians play some minutes so we could see how much improved they are.

This is precisely why i am not worried about Chapman at TFC.

And he looked to be coming in last night, ahead of Akexte, which showe that Vanney has trust in him.

Like Morgan, just needs to take his chance when it comes.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is precisely why i am not worried about Chapman at TFC.

And he looked to be coming in last night, ahead of Akexte, which showe that Vanney has trust in him.

Like Morgan, just needs to take his chance when it comes.

Yes, Chapman was standing on the sidelines waiting to come on when the game ended - Vanney is often too slow to make his subs I find, I think Chapman was called to the sidelines to come in at the 88th minute but was still waiting to come on 5 minutes later. I think the circumstances also dictated Vanney choosing him - if they were down at goal or even only up 3-2 I suspect Aketxe would have come on instead of Chapman and much earlier but as TFC were in more of a "defending the lead" mode I believe Vanney sees Chapman as a safer bet defensively to win challenges and hold on to the ball than Aketxe at the moment.

As for Morgan, even though he played great, Morrow being on the bench was a sign that he's almost fit so I suspect Morgan will still get benched next week. But as I said earlier, he's at least proving that he can be relied upon and I think has picked up his defensive side of the game considerably.

Edited by Gian-Luca

14 hours ago, BradMack said:

I could see Morgan replacing Morrow in 2 years or whenever Morrow starts to slow down, he is 30 now and you can't afford to lose a step as a fullback in the TFC system. Morgan is 3.5 years younger and should be in his prime. If Ashtone can keep this level of play up he will be given an opportunity but that remains to be seen. ... inany case, we know he will not just be handed the position, they will sign another LB, even when Van der Weil was brought in he saw immediate competition in Auro brought in.

I'm not as optimistic of the longer term.  He had a great match and his efforts were rewarded with a well earned goal (which might be the difference in this tie) but I don't see him as being a successor to Morrow down the road.  I think the club will be much more inclined to buy a younger option with TAM.  But who knows? 

The biggest thing I'm seeing from an NT perspective is that we are seeing more guys competing for starting and squad places as opposed to seeing guys being selected without any real competition for their places.  Big performances on the bigger stages by Osorio, Morgan, and other Canadian guys are crucial for Herdman's selection going forward. 

On 4/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, gator said:

I actually think Vanney will give Morgan a run in the team until proven otherwise. He's done that with Oso. 

There still plenty of games with CCL and Canadian Championship so I assume they will be interchangeable at times.