Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When he signed back in Uruguay about 5 years ago his salary at Universitario was paid by the sponsors, so a similar sort of operation could be in place here. Though of course his image value is nowhere near as high. 

I am trying to find out if he has a deal for boots or brand in place, as often that is a way a deal could be negotiated.

Just shows you how valuable he is that they let a Peruvian team play in Uruguay ;) 

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Just shows you how valuable he is that they let a Peruvian team play in Uruguay ;) 

Oh, so Universitario is Peruvian? Well my bad, good for you. 

That actually does not hurt my argument, though, I thought the sponsorshop of a Forlan contract was possible because it was a team from his home country, and it wasn't. Though I wonder if you could get Valour sponsors to chip in for something like that. 

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oh, so Universitario is Peruvian? Well my bad, good for you. 

That actually does not hurt my argument, though, I thought the sponsorshop of a Forlan contract was possible because it was a team from his home country, and it wasn't. Though I wonder if you could get Valour sponsors to chip in for something like that. 

Only teasing - he actually signed for Penarol, so you are probably correct. 

On 2/18/2019 at 2:54 AM, matty said:

Pros
-Forlan brings in fans
-Forlan brings in media attention
-Forlan brings in sponsor dollars
-Forlan can likely still score at the level of CPL (even at 39)

Cons
-Forlan is 39
-Forlan cost bank

He's basically a perfect gimmick signing for CPL year 1 aside from potential high cost. I actually think if the CPL are having serious talks with a Forlan then the cap might be more that the suspected $750k

I would add that he can is still fit and can score too, so he would be a benefit to a team not just a gimmick.

In HK, he was on about HK$100,000/CND16,000 per month plus housing. Not as high as some would think (15% max tax rate though), but anyway CPL certainly can't pay that, but...

Diego scored off me last year in a friendly! Why is this worth mentioning - his wife and two very young children were with him at the match. Makes sense to move to a livable city where there is plenty of clean air and green grass.

Edited by BCM

Considering training camp/Pre season begins as reported first week of March; the CPL clubs will need to announce their roster for up to 18 players or so so they can have the trialists, U-Sports Draft Picks and other Invites at camp fighting for those last 2-3-5 spots 

Expect things to ramp up in the next 10 days 

From East to West: signed so far 

HFX Wanderers - 11 Players 

York 9 - 17 players 

Forge - 8 Players 

Valour - 12 Players

Cavalry - 14 players 

FCE - 16 players

Pacific - 11 players

89 Total

Of what looks like 140 - 160 final not including potential loan-ins

Things will pick up in terms of speed for sure 

Does anyone know the rules, and implications on salary cap, for injuries? The A-league in Australia allows both short and long-term replacements to be signed (which is pretty much a necessity), but there's some cap implications.

I wouldn't mind the "reserve" player system being used, for 4-6 younger players to be signed for lower wages and come in when injuries necessitate it (it also allows for more flexibility with training regimes). I haven't heard this will be the case though.

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Considering training camp/Pre season begins as reported first week of March; the CPL clubs will need to announce their roster for up to 18 players or so so they can have the trialists, U-Sports Draft Picks and other Invites at camp fighting for those last 2-3-5 spots 

Expect things to ramp up in the next 10 days 

From East to West: signed so far 

HFX Wanderers - 11 Players 

York 9 - 17 players 

Forge - 8 Players 

Valour - 12 Players

Cavalry - 14 players 

FCE - 16 players

Pacific - 11 players

89 Total

Of what looks like 140 - 160 final not including potential loan-ins

Things will pick up in terms of speed for sure 

Heard HFX Wanderers are announcing 2 players today, 2 more later this week, and 2 "big" signings next week. Then the roster will be filled out with U-sports draft picks and got game triailists. Not sure if that schedule will be pushed back due to the tragedy Halifax experience yesterday.

Edited by HfxCeltic

19 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Heard HFX Wanderers are announcing 2 players today, 2 more later this week, and 2 "big" signings next week. Then the roster will be filled out with U-sports draft picks and got game triailists. Not sure if that schedule will be pushed back due to the tragedy Halifax experience yesterday.

You make me so excited. 

Any news at all about the "big" signings? Obviously not who they are... but how big? Names we would know around here big? 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:10 AM, Copes said:

You make me so excited. 

Any news at all about the "big" signings? Obviously not who they are... but how big? Names we would know around here big? 

Hoping that's the same for all clubs - start the season with a bang. I've really liked the squads being set up so far, but feel what's missing is a couple veteran presence (to help develop younger players but also to get casual eyes on the league)

I think teams have signed a few more players than have been announced.  

Your number for York 9 FC is 17 but at the last pub night Brennan said they've signed about 20.  

Just connecting the puzzle, it was blurted out about their Voyageurs Cup match against AS Blainville that they were so impressed with them they've signed a player.  So that's one more!

Brennan says about their imports (without naming them) that they've signed a Swedish guy and one from Japan then let slip that they've just signed  a Colombian.  The Colombian doesn't show up on the CPL list yet.  So that's one more!  

The L1O/CPL combine was just held January 24th.  The invitees were supposed to be hand selected to NOT have to go through the 200+ per city tryouts months ago so in theory they should be better than the trialists that have signed a few L1O players.  The pub night on Monday just happened to have two players who passed through to the afternoon final of the combine chatting with the three already signed/announced players who were later speaking to the fans.  

Actually I have the sound bytes of the conference on my site.   http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york062.htm   'first segment'  for the two 'oops' moments.  

That link was already posted in the York 9 sub-forum here. 

11 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Your number for York 9 FC is 17 but at the last pub night Brennan said they've signed about 20.  

Just connecting the puzzle, it was blurted out about their Voyageurs Cup match against AS Blainville that they were so impressed with them they've signed a player.  So that's one more!

Brennan says about their imports (without naming them) that they've signed a Swedish guy and one from Japan then let slip that they've just signed  a Colombian.  The Colombian doesn't show up on the CPL list yet.  So that's one more!  

The L1O/CPL combine was just held January 24th.  The invitees were supposed to be hand selected to NOT have to go through the 200+ per city tryouts months ago so in theory they should be better than the trialists that have signed a few L1O players.  The pub night on Monday just happened to have two players who passed through to the afternoon final of the combine chatting with the three already signed/announced players who were later speaking to the fans.  

Actually I have the sound bytes of the conference on my site.   http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york062.htm   'first segment'  for the two 'oops' moments.  

That link was already posted in the York 9 sub-forum here. 

Was the Colombian in addition to the Venezuelan he mentioned in an interview or are you confusing him as Colombian?

54 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

This.

A PFC owner told me on Tuesday evening they have more players signed, they are just slowly introducing them for dramatic effect and (I assume) so that each player gets some time in the limelight rather than being one of a large group in front of the media.

Today we heard that all positions at PFC are filled except centre back.

I suspect most teams have most of their rosters filled by now.

3 hours ago, ted said:

This.

A PFC owner told me on Tuesday evening they have more players signed, they are just slowly introducing them for dramatic effect and (I assume) so that each player gets some time in the limelight rather than being one of a large group in front of the media.

Today we heard that all positions at PFC are filled except centre back.

I suspect most teams have most of their rosters filled by now.

They don't. 3-5 teams have have fewer than half their rosters filled atm but do have players close to singing or in mind (I'm taking "filled" as "locked up and signed"). In some cases it's just date stuff blocking it being official or someone giving final approval. So they're like gentlemen's agreements waiting on something. I heard every team will have 3-6 spots open prior to their final camps. Also the dramatic thing has been weird and flip floppy with results (not for PFC but in general).

Edited by matty

4 hours ago, matty said:

They don't. 3-5 teams have have fewer than half their rosters filled atm but do have players close to singing or in mind (I'm taking "filled" as "locked up and signed"). In some cases it's just date stuff blocking it being official or someone giving final approval. So they're like gentlemen's agreements waiting on something. I heard every team will have 3-6 spots open prior to their final camps. Also the dramatic thing has been weird and flip floppy with results (not for PFC but in general).

No man. They might have a couple of open spots but rest asure most of the players are signed. And the way they present the players assures some kind of (media-) coverage they need to sell tickets and stay in the publics awareness in general until season starts over 2 months. 

14 minutes ago, shamrock said:

No man. They might have a couple of open spots but rest asure most of the players are signed. And the way they present the players assures some kind of (media-) coverage they need to sell tickets and stay in the publics awareness in general until season starts over 2 months. 

I'm going off what I was told a few days ago that deals basically have been reached but aren't officially done yet (it sounded like it was just rubber stamp stuff). All the ones currently held up for whatever reason will likely be announced before the camps I assume.

The presentation of players has been mixed in terms of interaction, coverage is there but actually generated website clicks isn't there every time. Apparently the more grassroots stuff has been better than digital things and articles so far but with the MediaPro deal that will likely change.

Edited by matty