Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

2 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Well, and something about how he is personally challenging himself to play in as many countries before retiring - so pay might not be the main consideration. He's done Asia a bunch already ... so, I think it's just North America and Africa left.

Yeah it's just weird to me considering he has continued playing in all these different places but didn't end up in MLS...yet could end up in CPL.

I remember him being linked to TFC at one point.

Pros
-Forlan brings in fans
-Forlan brings in media attention
-Forlan brings in sponsor dollars
-Forlan can likely still score at the level of CPL (even at 39)

Cons
-Forlan is 39
-Forlan cost bank

He's basically a perfect gimmick signing for CPL year 1 aside from potential high cost. I actually think if the CPL are having serious talks with a Forlan then the cap might be more that the suspected $750k

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

How reliable is this twitter account? Anybody can make shit up and stick "Rumour" on it.

It just seems coincidental that this comes a day after people on here were speculating why he hasn't been picked up by a CPL team yet..

36 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

How reliable is this twitter account? Anybody can make shit up and stick "Rumour" on it.

It just seems coincidental that this comes a day after people on here were speculating why he hasn't been picked up by a CPL team yet..

Someone went back and found that almost all of the rumours they’ve posted have turned out to be true. I think it’s run by someone who actually is close to the league or players.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

22 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

haha fair enough. Smart marketing/propaganda if that's the case.

I agree. It also seems that the “rumours” pop up not long before the player actually signs. It definitely creates some discussion with the hardcore fans but I actually wondered if it was way to judge some potential signings.

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I agree. It also seems that the “rumours” pop up not long before the player actually signs. It definitely creates some discussion with the hardcore fans but I actually wondered if it was way to judge some potential signings.

Probably just part of the hype machine. 

Hey Marcel de Jong to Pacific FC? Wow that news just blew my head. Incredible scoop. 

25 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Ya, considering how they also hold off posting certain rumours. I think at one point I said it'd be great if rollocks signed for york and they responded hinting at that. They are definitely an insider

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah it's just weird to me considering he has continued playing in all these different places but didn't end up in MLS...yet could end up in CPL.

I remember him being linked to TFC at one point.

Well I don't think he is good enough for MLS right now, considering he was pretty forgettable in the afc champions league with Kitchee, and while he was strong for hk Premier league, he wasn't necessarily dominant 

So just to do this...HIGH PROFILE rumour mill is

-Marcel de Jong (32/Canadian) to Pacific FC. 116 Eredivisie games, 41 Bundesliga games, 52 MLS games. 56 caps for Canada. SOURCE: Rollins

-David Edgar (31/Canadian) to team unknown. 23 Premier League games, 128 ELF Championship games, 8 MLS games. 42 caps for Canada and all-star at the 2007 U20 World Cup. SOURCE: CPL website

-Diego Forlan (39/Uruguayan) to Valour. 112 caps and 36 goals for Uruguay, stints with Man U, Atletico Madrid, and Inter Milan. Member of Premier Leauge, Europa League and Copa America winning teams. World Cup Golden Ball and 2 time European and Spanish Golden Boot. SOURCE: CPL Argentina. Reportedly wants to play in as many countries as he can before retiring.

-Darren O'Dea (32/Irish) to York9. 116 games in the Scottish Premier League (49 with Celtic, winning 2 Scottish titles), 82 games in ELF Championship, a 26 game stint with Toronto FC (who he captained). 20 caps for Ireland and was named to the team for Euro 2012. SOURCE: Rollins. Wants to return to Toronto even if it means pay cut.

-Fernando Meneses (33/Chile) to Valour. Stints in Chile, Mexico, and Peru's top flights. 16 caps for Chile. Member of 3 Chilian championship teams. SOURCE: A Valour fan blog

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Well I don't think he is good enough for MLS right now, considering he was pretty forgettable in the afc champions league with Kitchee, and while he was strong for hk Premier league, he wasn't necessarily dominant 

CPL should be held a higher standard than MLS, so someone not good enough for MLS is definitely not CPL level.

13 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

CPL can develop better players than MLS without the large budgets. Planning wisely and being soccer savvy helps, and this is where Canada has a massive advantage over the US is people in charge at the top of CSA and CPL understand soccer.

oh i get it you're trolling

4 hours ago, matty said:

Pros
-Forlan brings in fans
-Forlan brings in media attention
-Forlan brings in sponsor dollars
-Forlan can likely still score at the level of CPL (even at 39)

Cons
-Forlan is 39
-Forlan cost bank

He's basically a perfect gimmick signing for CPL year 1 aside from potential high cost. I actually think if the CPL are having serious talks with a Forlan then the cap might be more that the suspected $750k

When he signed back in Uruguay about 5 years ago his salary at Universitario was paid by the sponsors, so a similar sort of operation could be in place here. Though of course his image value is nowhere near as high. 

I am trying to find out if he has a deal for boots or brand in place, as often that is a way a deal could be negotiated.

2 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

No, I'm serious. Do you think Clanachan comes off as more realistic and knowledgeable compared to Garber?

Clanachan and a lot of CPL guys use the buzz language soccer people love but are generally somewhat vague with bigger picture stuff while Garber is a blunt asshole who doesn't care about what soccer people want and wants to run an effective and respectable league which he's done. So it's hard to actually say who actually is more realistic and knowledgeable about the sport of soccer

But the USSF is better off, more direct and less wonky than the CSA.

Let's see...Clanachan doesn't have lofty ideas that's out of touch with reality, like wanting a top 10 league in the world. Also, he's open to pro/rel and letting clubs have freedom to make their own decisions instead of the league ruling with a heavy hand like Communist regimes (MLS is actually worse than that). At least by listening to interviews Clanachan comes across as more professional, where Garber is condescending and completely lacking of charisma.

Why do you think the USSF is better and less wonky than the CSA? The last 2 years the CSA made massive reforms and is transforming Canada into a competitive soccer country. While the USSF wasted a whole year solving no problems and achieving nothing and they don't even have real goals just like the USMNT's pathetic goal-scoring prowess lately.The USSF fights against grassroots soccer and rather than helping lower levels they steal money to benefit MLS owners who absolutely don't deserve any profits they're collecting. Does Canada want a SUM, which is basically a mafia and soccer cartel that's destroying the hard-earned progress soccer has made in the US?

Believe me, the CSA are saints compared to what goes on with the USSF and SUM. Canada is a civilized society, and you don't need a few greedy asshole billionaires ruining the livelihoods of every soccer fan.

54 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Let's see...Clanachan doesn't have lofty ideas that's out of touch with reality, like wanting a top 10 league in the world. Also, he's open to pro/rel and letting clubs have freedom to make their own decisions instead of the league ruling with a heavy hand like Communist regimes (MLS is actually worse than that). At least by listening to interviews Clanachan comes across as more professional, where Garber is condescending and completely lacking of charisma.

Why do you think the USSF is better and less wonky than the CSA? The last 2 years the CSA made massive reforms and is transforming Canada into a competitive soccer country. While the USSF wasted a whole year solving no problems and achieving nothing and they don't even have real goals just like the USMNT's pathetic goal-scoring prowess lately.The USSF fights against grassroots soccer and rather than helping lower levels they steal money to benefit MLS owners who absolutely don't deserve any profits they're collecting. Does Canada want a SUM, which is basically a mafia and soccer cartel that's destroying the hard-earned progress soccer has made in the US?

Believe me, the CSA are saints compared to what goes on with the USSF and SUM. Canada is a civilized society, and you don't need a few greedy asshole billionaires ruining the livelihoods of every soccer fan.

The MLS actually has a legit shot at being a top 10 league (which it's done in terms of average attendance) so it's lofty goal isn't crazy and neither is anything CPL reps are saying. Clanachan is open to pro/rel (soccer people buzz term) but Garber isn't because MLS likely wouldn't work as well as it currently does with such a system. Nothing from any interview I've seen says either has a better idea of how to run a league than the other. What is known right now is you can't say the CPL is run by people who are more soccer smart because we've haven't even seen a ball kicked yet or full roster or league model.

CSA is playing catch up and just because you're finally taking actions doesn't mean you're better run than anyone else. USSF has also undergone changes over the past 2 years, arguably bigger than the CSA did (not counting CPL), and it maintained activity for its national teams despite a massive loss of income.

Edited by matty

OK, to prevent further going off-topic and derailing this thread, I'll ask some last questions:

What's the longest Canada's MNT has gone without a permanent coach? And has the the CSA or soccer program been in limbo for over a year with nothing getting done in between? Also has any Canadian leagues or the CSA itself run afoul of FIFA before?

Edited by PhillyJawn-guy

7 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

OK, to prevent further going off-topic and derailing this thread, I'll ask one last question:

What's the longest Canada's MNT has gone without a permanent coach? And has the the CSA or soccer program been in limbo for over a year with nothing getting done in between? Also has any Canadian leagues or the CSA itself run afoul of FIFA before?

-About a year
-Yes
-Yes. Arguably 2 months ago

Edited by matty