Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

14 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I could be wrong but I've heard it mentioned that Straith is likely earning upwards of $100k playing in Germany - so that would be nearly impossible to match.  I think the way you have to entice guys is to offer them positions after their career i.e. join up with management/coaching after retiring.  

David Edgar is the obvious call as to who it is .. if it's between playing for Carlisle and York/Hamilton that's a pretty easy call to make.  Other than him, how about Petrasso?  Haven't heard anything mentioned about him recently.  

you're not wrong. i remember talking to a person close to him when i chatted with him and he had a 6 figure offer (not from germany but a league in asia) so it's pretty safe to assume he's making near that.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I could be wrong but I've heard it mentioned that Straith is likely earning upwards of $100k playing in Germany - so that would be nearly impossible to match.

How so? There is likely to be at least one or two players on each team earning over $100k.

54 minutes ago, ted said:

How so? There is likely to be at least one or two players on each team earning over $100k.

I hope you're right but I don't think a single player signed is earning anywhere past $75k so far and I don't think that's going to change, for this season at least.  

I am starting to think that the reason the league hasn't announced a salary cap yet is because it is still very fluid. I imagine that they told all the teams what it will be at minimum, and then will raise it once they have all their sponsors and broadcast deal figured out, which would allow for a few more signings in the summer window

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I am starting to think that the reason the league hasn't announced a salary cap yet is because it is still very fluid. I imagine that they told all the teams what it will be at minimum, and then will raise it once they have all their sponsors and broadcast deal figured out, which would allow for a few more signings in the summer window

Salary cap is purposely not being officially announced so that they have leverage in player negotiations.  If the agents know how much budget each team is allocated they will try to get the most % of the cap possible for their client.  If that number isn't made known determining the % of the teams wages becomes more difficult.

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only a few of the players that are being signed at the moment are likely to have had options elsewhere that would give them any leverage beyond a here's the contract take it or leave it type scenario.

How could you possibly know that? Do you have any sources/anything to suggest this is actually the case or are you just formulating your opinion on your perceived semi-pro level signings coupled with your negative outlook? You do know it's also possible for one CPL club to make a better offer than another CPL club right?

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only a few of the players that are being signed at the moment are likely to have had options elsewhere that would give them any leverage beyond a here's the contract take it or leave it type scenario. Think the cap is probably being kept under wraps mainly for PR related reasons.

Those options elsewhere... what's their attendances? You forgot to let us know about that

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

How could you possibly know that? Do you have any sources/anything to suggest this is actually the case or are you just formulating your opinion on your perceived semi-pro level signings coupled with your negative outlook? You do know it's also possible for one CPL club to make a better offer than another CPL club right

He doesn't. The guy is legit worse than Tg11

2 minutes ago, matty said:

side note: anyone surprised with where the non-canadian players are coming from? i think most expected a number of central american and/or american players to make up like 60% of the signings. aside from tnt, there have been no concacaf players signed.

Could it be due to the makeup of the coaching and front office staff?

Hart has obvious connections to T&T. Other clubs appear to have little or no connections to American soccer, let alone Central America.

1 minute ago, red card said:

Could it be due to the makeup of the coaching and front office staff?

Hart has obvious connections to T&T. Other clubs appear to have little or no connections to American soccer, let alone Central America.

it's possibly but do they have strong ties to asian and african soccer? 

14 minutes ago, matty said:

side note: anyone surprised with where the non-canadian players are coming from? i think most expected a number of central american and/or american players to make up like 60% of the signings. aside from tnt, there have been no concacaf players signed.

Absolutely.  Especially with the Nations League giving people the chance to scout some affordable talent, I thought for sure we would see some of the better players poached from small CONCACAF domestic leagues.  Still pretty surprised this hasn't happened because I thought it would be a great chance to get some decent players at a price point that would be attractive in the context of CPL budgets.

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, matty said:

it's possibly but do they have strong ties to asian and african soccer? 

Tbh, while it'd be personally exciting to me if clubs had Asian connections, I think that's more due to Asian players excelling at the Open Trials. All of the Asian players signed so far were scouted through that. It also seemed like Asian players at the trial had much more of a pro background than others.

3 hours ago, KW519 said:

How could you possibly know that? 

Look at the details of where they are coming from. For example, the Belgian goalkeeper yesterday will be known to all the pro clubs in Belgium, but wound up signing for a lower tier amateur club after leaving Beveren. Either he wants to give full-time professionalism another go or he doesn't. I doubt he is quibbling about pay and conditions too much before signing on the dotted line, if a club in Canada gives him the chance to do that. I don't see too many Kyle Beckers so far who definitely would have had other relatively well paid options that could be used as leverage.