Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

12 hours ago, Keegan said:

22 year old David Choiniere said to be signing for MTL and then headed on loan to either York or Halifax.  Interesting because he would certainly be a starter in USL for Ottawa but they're not going that route.  I think I'd prefer Halifax for him.  

Keegan where are you seeing this? Would be amazing if it works out.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/jose-gregorio-pina-flores/306779/

Union Atletico Falcon were a second tier club in Venezuela last season apparently, and got relegated to the third tier for 2019:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fes.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FUni%C3%B3n_Atl%C3%A9tico_Falc%C3%B3n

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fes.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSegunda_División_de_Venezuela_2018

Venezuela unlike the rest of Comnebol has baseball rather than soccer as it's main sport, so there's probably less to get excited about here than when the player is from somewhere like Peru, Colombia or Uruguay. Maybe he was one of the players that was at the combine in the Dominican Republic that has been mentioned? I think Jim Brennan was in the Dominican Republic at one point.

It seems pretty random that a 23 year old Venezuelan playing in a 2nd (now 3rd) tier club would be found by York 9. Your DR theory seems a good bet. 

BTW I’ve heard that while Venezuela is a big Baseball place, soccer is really popular there also.

Former U-20 Canadian International - Diego Gutierrez flying reportedly to Canada to join Valour FC on a season long loan from Palestino of the Chilean Primera Division 

Interesting to see what he can do in the CPL, maybe he's in contention for the U23's who will have Olympic qualifying in October

In the photo next to him is his other brother besides (Cristian Gutierrez) Jean Pierre Gutierrez, he must have gotten that name from being born in Quebec also as the two twins 

image.thumb.jpeg.258aa8038f36eae65961cfe352b675d5.jpeg

There’s still some quality players out there looking for a team.  I figure there’s at least a dozen players out there who could make an impact.  

My short list:

Molham Babouli

Louis Beyland-Goyette

Caleb Clarke

David Edgar

Callum Irving

Richie Laryea

Michael Petrasso

David Choiniere

Emile Legault

What other notable players are out there?

*updated*

Edited by baulderdash77

13 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

There’s still some quality players out there looking for a team.  I figure there’s at least a dozen players out there who could make an impact.  

My short list:

Bryce Alderson

Molham Babouli

Louis Beyland-Goyette

Caleb Clarke

David Edgar

Callum Irving

Richie Laryea

Michael Petrasso

David Choinière and Émile Legault would seem to still be unsigned.

23 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

My short list:

Bryce Alderson

Molham Babouli

Louis Beyland-Goyette

Caleb Clarke

David Edgar

Callum Irving

Richie Laryea

Michael Petrasso

The SFU kid who was drafted by San Jose

17 minutes ago, Fullback said:

https://canpl.ca/article/decisions-decisions-valour-looking-at-eight-trialists-as-camp-opens

Interesting quote in here about a potential South American LB with ties to a current player. Cristian Gutierrez?

Indeed. They both have the same agent and he arrived with Diego on Friday and word is that they are currently negotiating.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Clarke is at UBC. If some team was interested in him, they would have selected him in the USports Draft.

Someone had posted here that he was mulling offers in Europe - surely he would be drafted otherwise.

Another guy available still is AJ Gray, I feel he's going to pop up at Forge or York training camp.  

Bizarre stuff.. a team failing to sign a player because they wanted to demand where he went on loan.  Not to mention his brother is their top prospect.

Looks like MTL would rather lose him than piss off Ottawa and whatever deal they have. 

Pretty clear what is happening here, at least to me.  The rumours of Choiniere signing and being loaned to CPL seemed a little too good to be true.  Surely Ottawa as the lapdog gets first dibs on top prospects.  This whole Ottawa as a farm club scenario is going to be a disaster because these situations will inevitably keep popping up.

Edited by Keegan

If this is a loan, that would be 2 players we know of who either didn't want to or didn't go to Ottawa. There has to be a prevailing shared sentiment.

Also, I saw a quote on twitter this morning, which I can't find now, from Rob Friend saying they were waiting on a couple guys who may be cut MLS squads.

Sad to see, if they cut Telfer.  It seems like TFC need wingers and he seemed lively and versatile, playing some wing and LB depending on need.  He would be a nice pick up for CPL.  When does the indoor season end??  Maybe Mo has a deal in place and is just waiting for that season to end before he officially announces eh??  

If its true about guys refusing to go to Ottawa that must sting for Deguzman eh?  Wasnt it rumored he was warning guys about signing with the CPL in the fall.  I sure hope we can all start getting along and rowing in the same direction next season.