Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

If this is a loan, that would be 2 players we know of who either didn't want to or didn't go to Ottawa. There has to be a prevailing shared sentiment.

Also, I saw a quote on twitter this morning, which I can't find now, from Rob Friend saying they were waiting on a couple guys who may be cut MLS squads.

46 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sad to see, if they cut Telfer.  It seems like TFC need wingers and he seemed lively and versatile, playing some wing and LB depending on need.  He would be a nice pick up for CPL.  When does the indoor season end??  Maybe Mo has a deal in place and is just waiting for that season to end before he officially announces eh??  

If its true about guys refusing to go to Ottawa that must sting for Deguzman eh?  Wasnt it rumored he was warning guys about signing with the CPL in the fall.  I sure hope we can all start getting along and rowing in the same direction next season.  

CPL is changing the landscape and can't blame guys to refuse USL. It's purgatory down there and it's extremely hard to escape it due to 

A) Being Canadian

B)Green Card giveaway 

Also, it's quite obvious that not many high level leagues are looking at USL talents, but CPL offers a shot at Continental gold and is most likely to get attention from other leagues than USL.

If you ask me, at least if you fail in CPL, that's really on you, but failing in the USSF labyrinth (Looking at Raheem Edwards in USL One) can be partly due to the system....I'd rather fail because of the latter.

Add:

He believes that he will be BETTER surrounded in Hamilton than Ottawa Fury. He doesn't believe in what the Fury is selling.

CONCACAF League was a factor. Of he scores in that competition, Choiniere will get phone calls

Edited by Ansem

20 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

They can probably find an American or another foreigner who is better. They are not required to field any Canadians.

For selfish reasons I am very pleased with the Canadians joining the CPL especially if they are not in the plans of these mighty MLS sides, how long until TFC has no Canadians in the starting 11?

4 minutes ago, gator said:

For selfish reasons I am very pleased with the Canadians joining the CPL especially if they are not in the plans of these mighty MLS sides, how long until TFC has no Canadians in the starting 11?

Umm, I am guessing its this season.  Vanney doesnt rate Hamilton at all and he'll find a reason not to start Osorio and keep Delgado in the lineup.  He'll try and make Osorio a wing back/LB, it wont work and Vanney will sell Osorio on being a super sub!! YEAH!!!  

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Probably as soon as Pozuelo arrives:  Altidore obviously benches Hamilton and Pozuelo will replace either Oso or Delgado, I can't see Vanney's pet project and "US International" Delgado sitting.

I am pretty sure it's Aiden Daniels going out on loan to York. He's listed as loan on mlssoccer.com and CPLTransfer liked my two tweets suggesting him.

Good signing, have been following his career since sitting next to his parents at a TFC II game. His family's story is pretty interesting! He's also a YorkU student, so perhaps Carmine has a relationship with him (though I don't think he ever played varsity).

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

Probably as soon as Pozuelo arrives:  Altidore obviously benches Hamilton and Pozuelo will replace either Oso or Delgado, I can't see Vanney's pet project and "US International" Delgado sitting.

Despite my criticism of MLS clubs (Canadian clubs) Vancouver and Montreal have way more Canadians than Americans on rosters.

Starting them is an all other issue...

For TFC to still have more Americans than Canadians under contract and on the pitch as starters is a fucking insult and in the long run will hurt them. Winning with that mentality is one thing but losing like last year and still being mostly American and not playing Canadians (even in a throw away season that everybody forgave due to your CCL run) is a slap in the face.

Hamilton deserves so much better...and he scores!!!! That's what's frustrates me. He should be a regular sub a the very least. Anyways. If more guys like Choiniere (doubt Legault signs to then go to Ottawa) choose CPL, then Awesome 

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

After what happened with Maxime Crepeau last season, this spin that is appearing on here of Ottawa being bad in career terms for fringe Impact signings looks a bit odd to say the least. Suspect we are getting a very slanted version of what is really happening.

If I recall correctly Crépeau was the top keeper in all of USL last year, then was traded by Montreal. 

TMG by all accounts I have heard also had a good season with Ottawa. He was promptly loaned back to Ottawa without getting a shot in preseason. Makes sense that player's might be hesitant to get sent to Ottawa by Montreal

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

After what happened with Maxime Crepeau last season, this spin that is appearing on here of Ottawa being bad in career terms for fringe Impact signings looks a bit odd to say the least. Suspect we are getting a very slanted version of what is really happening.

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

If I recall correctly Crépeau was the top keeper in all of USL last year, then was traded by Montreal. 

TMG by all accounts I have heard also had a good season with Ottawa. He was promptly loaned back to Ottawa without getting a shot in preseason. Makes sense that player's might be hesitant to get sent to Ottawa by Montreal

Crépeau had a fight wit management and that was the only reason he was sent to Ottawa in the first place, he went in there well above USL level and deserving of a sot at a starters role in MLS. Was only in Ottawa as a sort of quick fix to get him out of the locker room without devaluing their asset too much. 

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Doing extremely well well in USL MIGHT get you to an MLS contract. Just doing well most likely won't.

Canadian + Green Cards = USL Purgatory until you're release to make space for the younger guys MLS clubs won't play due to handing out green cards like candies.

Doing extremely well well in CPL MIGHT get you to an MLS contract or higher leagues. Just doing well most likely means you'll be a career CPL player earning a living in what you're passionate about at home...

Tough choice...

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

That's why Delgado was the one signed to a TAM contract, not Osorio.

Oh wait... ?

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Because USL/MLS bad, CPL good. Obviously.

OR (and this is a wild thought here, so bear with me)... more professional teams in all leagues is better than the alternative.

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

OR maybe his agent is brother of the coach at Forge and he’s going to get good playing time combined with the chance to play in CONCACAF league.

OR maybe he thinks CPL is going to be a higher profile stepping stone for his career and he’s looking ahead.  

None of that is counter to my post.

16 minutes ago, RS said:

Because USL/MLS bad, CPL good. Obviously.

OR (and this is a wild thought here, so bear with me)... more professional teams in all leagues is better than the alternative.

In an 8 person canoe, its better to have 8 people rowing than 7, but if one person refuses to row in the direction of the others, its better to eliminate that person.

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

In an 8 person canoe, its better to have 8 people rowing than 7, but if one person refuses to row in the direction of the others, its better to eliminate that person.

That person eliminated himself. I don't even agree with the decision, but that's the one that was made.

Regardless, the Ottawa Fury's existence last year helped Max Crepeau get to where he is today. It's an undeniable fact, and that's what I was directly responding to.

As much as this whole Choiniere business seems like a win for the CPL (and in a way it is), I'm also wary of trusting the opinion of a player agent that is so closely linked to the head coach of one of the founding teams.

29 minutes ago, RS said:

Regardless, the Ottawa Fury's existence last year helped Max Crepeau get to where he is today. It's an undeniable fact, and that's what I was directly responding to.

Good point...but how many more would the Fury help in CPL over serving as a farm team for MLS teams to dump their surpluses...that don't see as thrilled as in the past to join?

The how many more point is where I don't buy the "we're helping Canadian soccer bullshit". They are simply self interested.

29 minutes ago, RS said:

As much as this whole Choiniere business seems like a win for the CPL (and in a way it is), I'm also wary of trusting the opinion of a player agent that is so closely linked to the head coach of one of the founding teams.

Why? At the end of the day, it's in the agent's interested to guide is client to the best path to hit jackpot so he gets a bigger cut of the pie.

It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion that 

A) Hamilton is probably better coached

B-On paper Hamilton looks better (Fury are still awaiting their MLS reinforcements)

C) My previous point furthers his point that he doesn't believe in that business and sport models to further his client's career which hurts his own potential return long term

D) His client playing in a D1 league has more value overseas than in the USA where there's this nagging belief that anything Canadian is inferior to them...except hockey and Curling.

His client is more likely to get noticed if he does extremely well than in USL where no one cares overseas, MLS cares less by the day (green card party)

E) CONCACAF League is a huge opportunity, playing well and even scoring there is very good for his client...something will never happen in Ottawa.

Despite the links to Hamilton, the agent's reasoning is very logical to me

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

In my opinion Max was kinda screwed over by being sent to Ottawa... and he going to Vancouver shows that he had the ability to start in the MLS but Montreal wouldn’t back him. I don’t see “going to Ottawa” as helping him, He deserved to be traded last year. The loan to Ottawa moved him backwards, and he earned his way upwards.

I also don’t see David as in the same place as Max was. I don’t think David would get playing time in Ottawa. He would get time with a CPL team (mostly due to the short rosters) and emphasis on Canadians.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:33 PM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

image.png.6f6be20bbcefb114a5a3e6ca95217eb8.png

Straight from the horse's mouth

Regarding Iain Hume, I'd like to point out that his club Pune City did not make the ISL playoffs and thus his season now is over.

I'd imagine that at 34 years old and coming off an injury, he was not signed to a multi year contract.  He should now be available on a free transfer.

Would be a great addition to any CPL club. 

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Regarding Iain Hume, I'd like to point out that his club Pune City did not make the ISL playoffs and thus his season now is over.

I'd imagine that at 34 years old and coming off an injury, he was not signed to a multi year contract.  He should now be available on a free transfer.

Would be a great addition to any CPL club. 

From what I understand he has single season contracts, there would be no transfer fee, he is free to find another club in ISL off-season. As he has done a couple years signing for Ponferradina, first, and the next year at Extremadura. 

I think his family situation may determine things, but he'd be a great addition to our league.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Despite my criticism of MLS clubs (Canadian clubs) Vancouver and Montreal have way more Canadians than Americans on rosters.

Starting them is an all other issue...

For TFC to still have more Americans than Canadians under contract and on the pitch as starters is a fucking insult and in the long run will hurt them. Winning with that mentality is one thing but losing like last year and still being mostly American and not playing Canadians (even in a throw away season that everybody forgave due to your CCL run) is a slap in the face.

Hamilton deserves so much better...and he scores!!!! That's what's frustrates me. He should be a regular sub a the very least. Anyways. If more guys like Choiniere (doubt Legault signs to then go to Ottawa) choose CPL, then Awesome 

If your good you play my friend ,that’s the MLS , Osorio plays because he has earned it, Hamilton will play if he plays well not because he is Canadian. Jay Chapman has been giving enough chances , last year with all the injuries he had a great chance to prove himself but in my opinion when he played he did not impress. If he would have impressed he would be getting more minutes but he didn’t so that’s why I guy like Champan is ryding the pines. Right now Hamilton is ahead of the new American striker Boyd , not because he is Canadian but because he is playing better. As a season ticket holder since day one I want to see the best possible players regardless of nationality, if the best possible players are mainly Canadian then that’s a bonus for me if not then it is what it is for me , I work hard for my money and as a paying customer I want to see the best possible players out there , just like leaf , Raptors snd Jays fans do they also want the best players out there regardless of nationality why should I be any different as a TFC fan ? There is no Canadian quota in the NBA and look at all the Canadian players in the NBA . How did that happen ? If your good you will play, just ask Davies, DeRosario, Larin, Osorio, Piette and so on, they are playing because they are good enough end of story, if you ain’t any good you don’t play that’s pro sports for you unfortunately.

Still without a club:

Mike Petrasso
David Edgar
Mo Babouli
D. Choiniere
Richie Laryea
Christian Gutierrez
Ryan Telfer
Robert Stillo
Callum Irving
Beyland-Goyette
Emile Legault